The Student Room Group

Abortion clinics closed in Texas

[h="1"]Women's groups in uproar as Texas closes two more abortion clinics[/h]Shutdown means women in Rio Grande Valley face huge challenges and vast distances to undergo legal procedures

[h="1"]The state should never interfere with my body.[/h]

Scroll to see replies

Abortion or genocide. I think countries with a birth rate bellow what is needed to keep a stable population should ban abortion except for emergencies. Spain is doing this.Japan should they're quite a populated country compared to most European countries but in a 100 years they'll be reduced to small numbers at this rate.
Idiots
Reply 3
How long until some dodgy 'doctors' start offering back alley abortions and a few people die from complications?
Reply 4
Original post by Swanbow
How long until some dodgy 'doctors' start offering back alley abortions and a few people die from complications?

You have a weird imagination
Oh Texas... :frown:
Reply 6
Great news, don't think all those un-aborted foetuses will be complaining.
Reply 7
Ridiculous. Women are still going to want abortions, they'll just resort to either dangerous methods or have to travel really far.
Reply 8
Original post by Shadoo
You have a weird imagination

It happens.

Part of the reason abortion was abortion was legalised in the United Kingdom.
Reply 9

And yet it does. Because it often disagrees with you - quite reasonably in my opinion - that a foetus has a right to life, at least barring certain medical and similar situations.

Original post by Swanbow

A rather 1950s view of things. Many abortions now are simple medical, rather than surgical, procedures. The overwhelming majority of abortions can be dealt with in this way.

In reality, the actual death rate from unsafe abortions had descended hugely before the UK Abortion Act or Roe v. Wade in the US. You're out of date by well over half a century.
Reply 10
Original post by L i b

A rather 1950s view of things. Many abortions now are simple medical, rather than surgical, procedures. The overwhelming majority of abortions can be dealt with in this way.

In reality, the actual death rate from unsafe abortions had descended hugely before the UK Abortion Act or Roe v. Wade in the US. You're out of date by well over half a century.

Uh huh. But some abortions are still surgical procedures and complications can still occur through the more 'simple' medical procedures. By closing out legal practitioners it opens the market to illegal practitioners, who care less about standards and hygiene. Just because the death rate started to fall prior to legislation of abortion doesn't mean that it didn't have an effect in reducing it.

The best care is provided by licensed physicians. Closing them down will just force women to go further afield for abortions, or go to unlicensed abortion clinics.
Reply 11
Original post by Oschene23
Great news, don't think all those un-aborted foetuses will be complaining.

No, they won't. Because they can't. Because they haven't developed such abilities.

Do you sense your sperm complaining everyday you commit genocide on it?
Reply 12
All the anti abortionists on here are male. Surprise surprise.
Reply 13
The fetus has rights too.

The thing is, women are still going to want abortions, they'll resort to the black market.

People need to be more responsible.
Original post by arxtra
No, they won't. Because they can't. Because they haven't developed such abilities.

Do you sense your sperm complaining everyday you commit genocide on it?

I clearly meant when they grow up, and are told that they may have been *insert fancy word for murdered here*.

Sperm is not a person, life begins at conception. That's like saying any injury to any part of your body is death, no its not - sperm is just a component of what is needed to create life.

Furthermore, you have situations in the UK which has a 24 week limit on abortions where now due to medical advances up to a 1/3 of babies born at 23 weeks are surviving, with many well documented cases at 20-22 weeks also.

But of course because we like to put an arbitrary date on when life starts, its all okay and these aren't real babies we are killing.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
The fetus has rights too.

The thing is, women are still going to want abortions, they'll resort to the black market.

People need to be more responsible.

This is a hugely over-reported myth. Very few women in the West would resort to the black market proportionally speakingIt would most likely be around 1-2% and these cases would be hugely over-represented in certain cultural and religious minorities where some birth instances are not allowed (birth outside of marriage, extra-marital affairs etc.).
Men placing the rights of an unborn clump of cells higher than those of the woman who would have to go through the ordeal of carrying and giving birth to a child she doesn't want.

I wish I could say I was surprised.
Reply 17
The replies on this thread are horrifying.

Many states also massively limit access to contraception, which makes it even worse.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Meyrin
Men placing the rights of an unborn clump of cells higher than those of the woman who would have to go through the ordeal of carrying and giving birth to a child she doesn't want.

I wish I could say I was surprised.

But it's murder
Reply 19
Original post by Ripper-Roo
But it's murder

Murder. Noun.
The unlawful, premeditated killing of a human being by another.

Whether it is murder or not depends on when a foetus becomes a human being. This is a very hotly debated topic and is subjective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending