The Student Room Group

Jewish-Muslim solidarity

hey guys, i think that in light of the bitter conflict in the midleeast, and al qaeda calling for Muslims to do what they can to destroy Israel, solidairty between us is very important.

I for one dont take much notice of what i see on TV because i have lots of Muslim freinds, they know im Jewish and we get on great. Im not going to listen to some reports on CNN about how much we are suposed to hate each other when i am freinds with so many Muslims.

On both sides, you are naturaly going to see a small minority of right wing people, but we are the average people, and we cant let the few right wing people dipict us as bitter enemies, we must show the world we are freinds.

I hope this can get turned in to a society if you all show enough interest.
I am Muslim, I don't have a problem with any Jewish people personally. That may be down to the fact I don't actually know any! Well none of my mates have said they are Jewish!
Yeah i think Kieny's "similarities between Judaism and Islam" is already moving towards that, i'm very much in favour of goodly gestures between both (read: all) faiths :smile:

EDIT: Jojo, i don't think i've ever met a Jew in real life either! :eek:
Reply 3
Im sure you have, theres 250,000 of us in this country! That suprised me when i heard that, but i am not the only one at my school, or at my old school.

I am Isralei, now that is more rare here. I never meet any other Isralei's here. Even in the synagouge i used to go to sunday school at there was only one other in my class!
Reply 4
Nice thread, Roy, but what about my Interfaith Soc? See sig. Surely we should strive to make that more active...? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You've never met any Israelis here? Crikey, I've met tonnes. :wink: And they're grrrrreat.
Reply 5
gemgems89
Nice thread, Roy, but what about my Interfaith Soc? See sig. Surely we should strive to make that more active...? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

I never saw that society, anyway this one is more specific.
Reply 6
*titanium*
I never saw that society, anyway this one is more specific.
Join anyway. Please. :biggrin:
voila, sorry
sorry for the political thing...but anyways. i know a lot of british muslims, yet a lot of them slag off jewish people and seem to dislike them, and even use it as a term of abuse to people. i don't really understand why, i guess they've just been brought up that way. they're not really right wing or political, so i think it would be a good idea to bring muslim and jewish people together to show that everyone is just like each other, and there's no reason for the hating.
Reply 9
*titanium*
hey guys, i think that in light of the bitter conflict in the midleeast, and al qaeda calling for Muslims to do what they can to destroy Israel, solidairty between us is very important.

I for one dont take much notice of what i see on TV because i have lots of Muslim freinds, they know im Jewish and we get on great. Im not going to listen to some reports on CNN about how much we are suposed to hate each other when i am freinds with so many Muslims.

On both sides, you are naturaly going to see a small minority of right wing people, but we are the average people, and we cant let the few right wing people dipict us as bitter enemies, we must show the world we are freinds.

I hope this can get turned in to a society if you all show enough interest.

i havent got a problem with any religion out there.
actually iv come across people from nearly all the religions besides jews :confused:
i dont know why is that.
but yeh i am sure if i did come across one, i probablly will be the first one to take my hand out for friendship :smile:
Yeah I dont see why cant there be a solidarity between us, I mean after we are all human and live in the same world so why cant we just get along actually some of my friends are Jew but very few are Israelis (dont know why but they are sort of pretty rare) so lets just live in peace and hope the war ended as soon as possible...
Reply 11
Shogun_X13
Yeah I dont see why cant there be a solidarity between us, I mean after we are all human and live in the same world so why cant we just get along actually some of my friends are Jew but very few are Israelis (dont know why but they are sort of pretty rare) so lets just live in peace and hope the war ended as soon as possible...

The current conflict may be over in a matter of weeks, however there will still be troubles in the middle east.

I belive there is hope in the long run. Israels realtionship with Eygpt and Jordan is now fairly positive, I may be wrong but as far as im aware the resentmen there once was is disolving.

I belive it is a matter of education.

Israel is not on bad terms with countries such as India, infact they have some join ventures with India. The problem is when people get brought up being told they should hate another country, this kind of bias must be stopped because if you are fed this message, it is not suprising people will belive it.

People have a very storng bond with their religion, i think it is ashame that right wing groups exploit this to create hatred.

I still think there is progress and that the situation is far better now then it used to be, before our time.
Reply 12
Firstly congrats to the thread starter. We need more dialogue and less ignorance which leads to hatred and thus violence.

Sorry mojo~monkey, British Muslims DON'T slag off Jewish people and dislike them. Can I ask you how many British Muslims do you know. You totally generalising. Ignorant comments like that, cause so much damage. Ignorant people wont engage with anyone who have different beliefs or views.

Because, we Muslims are in the spot light at the moment. We are pressured into having to explain what someone has done who happens to come from the same origins or allegedly is from the same faith. In Islam terrorism is harram..ie its a sin! So please dont call terrorist Muslims as they clearly aren't Muslims. Just criminals, just like the US and British governments. Iraq was all about the oil, remember that! Where is the justice there, are the occupying troops terrorist!!! See what I mean. OK the Chagos Islands Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1005064.stm now that's a disgrace, modern day hypocrisy and terrorism!!!

My generation which speak out against ignorance, injustice hypocrisy. Are silenced, why is that! Ask your self's.

The G8 sits idle while Israel massacres innocent men, women and children in Lebanon and Gaza. The pretext that this is about 2 soldiers captured in military operations is utter nonsense and clear for the world to see. I dont know the solution to Israel and the middle east. But, please dont massacre a whole generation just because of some idiots.

Have we not learnt anything from the holocaust.

Sadly, the world doesn't really care until it affects it. Theres genocide's going on, wars being fought for so called democracy when we all know its about oil or power.

The sad thing is, the average man/women are pawns in a big game. The game is all about power, wealth. The rich want to stay rich and do all they can to keep the average man/women down. Its in there interest. If there no poor there's no rich!

Well that's one mans humble thoughts am sure there are smarter people out here who know more about this, than I do.
he-man
Firstly congrats to the thread starter. We need more dialogue and less ignorance which leads to hatred and thus violence.

Sorry mojo~monkey, British Muslims DON'T slag off Jewish people and dislike them. Can I ask you how many British Muslims do you know. You totally generalising. Ignorant comments like that, cause so much damage. Ignorant people wont engage with anyone who have different beliefs or views.

Because, we Muslims are in the spot light at the moment. We are pressured into having to explain what someone has done who happens to come from the same origins or allegedly is from the same faith. In Islam terrorism is harram..ie its a sin! So please dont call terrorist Muslims as they clearly aren't Muslims. Just criminals, just like the US and British governments. Iraq was all about the oil, remember that! Where is the justice there, are the occupying troops terrorist!!! See what I mean. OK the Chagos Islands Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1005064.stm now that's a disgrace, modern day hypocrisy and terrorism!!!

My generation which speak out against ignorance, injustice hypocrisy. Are silenced, why is that! Ask your self's.

The G8 sits idle while Israel massacres innocent men, women and children in Lebanon and Gaza. The pretext that this is about 2 soldiers captured in military operations is utter nonsense and clear for the world to see. I dont know the solution to Israel and the middle east. But, please dont massacre a whole generation just because of some idiots.

Have we not learnt anything from the holocaust.

Sadly, the world doesn't really care until it affects it. Theres genocide's going on, wars being fought for so called democracy when we all know its about oil or power.

The sad thing is, the average man/women are pawns in a big game. The game is all about power, wealth. The rich want to stay rich and do all they can to keep the average man/women down. Its in there interest. If there no poor there's no rich!

Well that's one mans humble thoughts am sure there are smarter people out here who know more about this, than I do.

OH MY GOSH! i never said ALL british muslims do, coz obviously they're gunna be a minority. when i've asked them about it they have no basis to their opinions, and i know that most muslims have nothing against jewish people. i was just talking about my friends which contributes to about 0.001% of the muslim population. but theyre just teenage muslims from my college, and quite a few. i was just saying that there are some who arent right wing who have negative opinions on jewish people due to their upbringing, and that if they were actually shown that there is no reason to dislike them then they probably wouldnt. so get your facts straight. how is it ignorant to say what people i know think? GOSH!!! and you cant say that all muslims dont, coz some do from my experience.
Reply 14
Private Message:
mojo~monkey
sorry...

...if my post sounded like it was anti-islam, coz it totally wasn't meant to be. i know that islam is a peaceful religion, and i totally agree with your views on the israel-lebanon conflict and the labelling of an entire religion based on a few crazy people. the post i sent was in reply to one i deleted for the thread starter, coz it was kind of condemning the israeli treatment of lebanon when that wasn't the purpose of the post. but from my experience, i know that my muslim friends (the ones im closest to anyways) have openly claimed to hate jewish people, one even said it was in the qur'an that jews were evil, which i didn't belueve. i know that that isn't the general view of muslims, and i should have explained better. so, sorry again.

Appology accepted,

I think your friends are talking rubbish. Muslims, jews and christians have more in common than any other faiths. As mulims we must respect all other faiths even if we disagree with there teachings.

More open dialogue and less ignorance is the key.
Why cant our self elected leaders try to resolve their problems through communication?

ps - all priavate messages will be shown for all to see.
i like being open. sorry folks. :p:
Reply 15
Yeh I'm a Muslim and have lots of Jewish friends. As we've all grasped by now, we have so many similarities in faith and it's quite frankly stupid to hate on one another.
Reply 16
Private Message:
*titanium*
hey

Regarding the Jewish-Muslim solidarity thread, i would just like to point something out. Diffrent people will have different veiws, i would certainly not dennie that Israel has killed many innocent civilians in Lebanon and that there is a lot of suffering.

I know what you are trying to do, you hope that by writeing what you think, you will be able ot win people over to your way of thinking, you will be able to show people what you think. I know this because i used to do exactly that and many people still do.

I have learnt that doing this infact does not do any good and only tends to annoy people who think diffrently and puts them on the defensive. Personaly i dont mind because i know you mean well, but other people may not see it in that way and may not like what you wrote, and that can of course cause arguements.

Just a 'heads up' for the future

It is by our actions, that people judge us and hopefully understand and respect us!

If people become defensive its usually because they're in the wrong... that is from in my personal life experience, not always true. We all need to try to understand one another, emphasise!

I understand no one wants arguments, but surely open dialogue. How else are people going to resolve there misunderstanding.

ps - Thanks for the heads up. like i said all priavate messages will be shown for all to see.
i like being open. sorry folks. :cool:
Reply 17
hey, good to see this thread is coming back to life.

Latest

Trending

Trending