The Student Room Group

Claims that a 9 year-old boy was treated poorly by staff ‘because he’s Jewish’

Character limit will not allow me to post the title correctly.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/hospital-antisemitism-royal-manchester-childrens-b2516684.html

The Independent and GBnews are saying that a Children’s hospital is investigating claims 9 year-old boy was treated poorly by staff ‘because he is Jewish’.

A man who said he is the 9 year-old patient’s uncle raised concerns about his treatment at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital in a post on business networking site LinkedIn.
(edited 1 month ago)
Unfortunately hate crimes towards Muslims and Jewish people alike have increased significantly however Jewish people have seen a particular surge. I think anti Muslim incidents have increased by around 300% with anti semitic incidents nearing 600%.

I know my Jewish friends are very very on guard with the schools their siblings are at having to get extra security and their local areas being vandalised regularly. So it’s natural they would take the offensive in this situation.

I think the pro Palestinian badges probably made the situation worse, regardless of your standpoint I don’t think political badges should be worn in nhs because it’s an environment where people need to feel completely safe and free from discrimination.

If there was a legitimate reason for removing a child receiving treatment to be put on the floor and removed from a bed that should have been clearly explained to the family to prevent them jumping to any possible conclusions. Will there ever be a direct answer to whether it’s discrimination? Probably not but if this was a young Muslim girl in a hijab and a Jewish dr with pro Israel badges did the same I reckon we would also be hearing abt it 🤷🏼*♀️
Original post by ALEreapp
Unfortunately hate crimes towards Muslims and Jewish people alike have increased significantly however Jewish people have seen a particular surge. I think anti Muslim incidents have increased by around 300% with anti semitic incidents nearing 600%.

I know my Jewish friends are very very on guard with the schools their siblings are at having to get extra security and their local areas being vandalised regularly. So it’s natural they would take the offensive in this situation.

I think the pro Palestinian badges probably made the situation worse, regardless of your standpoint I don’t think political badges should be worn in nhs because it’s an environment where people need to feel completely safe and free from discrimination.

If there was a legitimate reason for removing a child receiving treatment to be put on the floor and removed from a bed that should have been clearly explained to the family to prevent them jumping to any possible conclusions. Will there ever be a direct answer to whether it’s discrimination? Probably not but if this was a young Muslim girl in a hijab and a Jewish dr with pro Israel badges did the same I reckon we would also be hearing abt it 🤷🏼*♀️

I mean I’m against political badges being worn in the workplace as long as it’s applied consistently (so I wouldn’t allow Palestinian, Ukrainian, Russian or Israeli badges and pins to be worn in the workplace for example if we really want to keep politics out).
Original post by Talkative Toad
I mean I’m against political badges being worn in the workplace as long as it’s applied consistently (so I wouldn’t allow Palestinian, Ukrainian, Russian or Israeli badges and pins to be worn in the workplace for example if we really want to keep politics out).

100% I agree. There should be none, particularly in a healthcare setting where you have to treat quite literally anyone who walks through the doors without bias
Original post by ALEreapp
100% I agree. There should be none, particularly in a healthcare setting where you have to treat quite literally anyone who walks through the doors without bias

Lots of politicians and people in general wearing the Palestinian or ceasefire and Ukrainian pin especially.

I mean France has gone as far as banning religious symbols in state workplaces for example (not that I agree with this but it does shed a light on matters).
(edited 1 month ago)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/hospital-antisemitism-royal-manchester-childrens-b2516684.html
The Independent and GBnews are saying that a Children’s hospital is investigating claims 9 year-old boy was treated poorly by staff ‘because he is Jewish’.
A man who said he is the 9 year-old patient’s uncle raised concerns about his treatment at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital in a post on business networking site LinkedIn.

disgraceful, based on the information provided in the news article.

the medical community role is to give treatment equally. it is sad to see the rise of antisemtism and down right hate to a boy. people should be treated equally and not be prejudiced due to a nurses/ doctors political views
Original post by jacksmith23
disgraceful, based on the information provided in the news article.

the medical community role is to give treatment equally. it is sad to see the rise of antisemtism and down right hate to a boy. people should be treated equally and not be prejudiced due to a nurses/ doctors political views

Some people are saying that the uncle is jumping to conclusions (especially as he wasn’t there and doesn’t live in the country apparently but don’t quote me on this) and that the issue is more to do with NHS underfunding and staffing.

I think that comparing it to 1940 is stretching it but it’s bad if it’s true.
(edited 1 month ago)

Unfortunately, hate crimes towards both Muslims and Jews have increased drastically in the last few monthe because of what is happening in Palestine. Don't take what I'm going to say personally but I don't know why you are getting your news from GBNews. I have known them to be very biased about things to do with immigrant issues and Palestine ( and yes, I call it Palestine). The 9 year old may have suffered from other people's words because the people who said this to the 9 year old do not have a real understanding the difference between Judaism and Zionism. This is what the news needs to educate people about before blaming other people for not knowing what they are talking about!
Original post by BigD27893
Unfortunately, hate crimes towards both Muslims and Jews have increased drastically in the last few monthe because of what is happening in Palestine. Don't take what I'm going to say personally but I don't know why you are getting your news from GBNews. I have known them to be very biased about things to do with immigrant issues and Palestine ( and yes, I call it Palestine). The 9 year old may have suffered from other people's words because the people who said this to the 9 year old do not have a real understanding the difference between Judaism and Zionism. This is what the news needs to educate people about before blaming other people for not knowing what they are talking about!

I first saw this story on a different platform linking this article

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending