The Student Room Group

Univeristy dilemma

Poll

Should I stay at exeter?

Hi,

I'm currently a first year studying economics and geography at University of Exeter. just looking for a bit of impartial advice!

Basically, there's a few things making me wonder if i'm at the right place as everyone always says ui is the 'time of your life'; i'm having a good time, but certainly not the time of my life.

Firstly, my course isn't great but hopefully chaining that in the next few days anyway to economics with natural sciences, so hopefully that'll improve. the two main points I want to talk about are nightlife and the people here! I'm from a working class background in North London, so you can imagine how different some of the people are here compared to what i'm used to. Don't get me wrong I have some met some cool people, but this doesn't stop me feel like I don't fit in. Secondly is the night life; with the clubs closing at 3 latest exeter is never going to be a great place out, it can be good depending who you're with never going to compare to bristol, Nottingham etc. I do go out to Bristol every so often since it isn't too far away, but it will never be a regular thing for me.

So i've been thinking about dropping out and going somewhere else like Nottingham/Leicester/ UEA, places that do a course like mine with a bit of a more lively city. The thing is both of these units are a lot lower down, at least by 10 places in league tables and I know exeter has a really good reputation and career prospects. Would it be stupid to throw that away, just for nightlife and more working class people? Or I am normal thinking like this? I just really don't know what to do any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harry :smile:

p.s. I know i've spelt university wrong in the title but it won't let me change it! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
I think it would be stupid to throw it all away to transfer to another university that is less prestigious just for the nightlife.
Anyway you'll be done in 2 years and then you'll be able to go anywhere you want.

Have you thought of making new friends ? Maybe it's your social circle that doesn't satisfy you since many times as long as you are with the right people everything is fun.
Reply 2
Original post by Limoncello
I think it would be stupid to throw it all away to transfer to another university that is less prestigious just for the nightlife.
Anyway you'll be done in 2 years and then you'll be able to go anywhere you want.

Have you thought of making new friends ? Maybe it's your social circle that doesn't satisfy you since many times as long as you are with the right people everything is fun.

Yeah I et what you mean, just hard sometimes at my age (18) to realise it's worth it in the long run.

Thats a good point, might be worth me joining a few societies and seeing from there? The issue is if I was going to leave it would have to be very soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending