The Student Room Group

Why do 2 claps sound louder than 1?

Hello, a friend of mine asked me this a few days ago. good question i thought, but with a most likely obvious answer. I wasn't too sure but i am assumed it was to do with an echo or perhaps collision with extra sound waves (meh)

was i remotely correct?
Reply 1
I'm not 100% sure but I would think it has to do that the more people that clap, the more energy is transferred into sound energy. This would be louder because there will be constructive interference with the waves and so the resultant sound wave will have bigger amplitude. The more energy these bigger waves carry, the higher the volume.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dada55
I'm not 100% sure but I would think it has to do that the more people that clap, the more energy is transferred into sound energy. This would be louder because there will be constructive interference with the waves and so the resultant sound wave will have bigger amplitude. The more energy these bigger waves carry, the higher the volume.

Good point, but i didn't think sound worked like heat (like heat energy gets hotter with more energy).

Still, probably better than my theory.
Reply 3
Original post by Bobjim12
Good point, but i didn't think sound worked like heat (like heat energy gets hotter with more energy).

Still, probably better than my theory.

I don't know how relevant the constructive interference bit is but I'm pretty sure that energy and loudness are directly related. If they weren't, you would somewhat expect sounds to be the same volume no matter how far away you were to the source. Also for example, If you hit your desk hard than you provide more energy, more of which gets transferred into sound energy and so you hear a louder sound than if you hit softer.
Reply 4
Original post by dada55
I don't know how relevant the constructive interference bit is but I'm pretty sure that energy and loudness are directly related. If they weren't, you would somewhat expect sounds to be the same volume no matter how far away you were to the source. Also for example, If you hit your desk hard than you provide more energy, more of which gets transferred into sound energy and so you hear a louder sound than if you hit softer.

Doh! Of course. God i'm an idiot. Its probably that then. Lol thanks!
Reply 5
I think it's about momentum. The second or 'last' clap will likely be softer than the one before it. The hands come together to spring apart with the clapping motion - it is natural, then, to bring them together more than once. It would be strange and unnatural to avoid bringing them together again.

Quick Reply

Latest