The Student Room Group

Roundabout

On a roundabout that has 2 lanes (Inner and outer lane) and 3 lanes on approach:

Left lane to go left ie 1st exit
Middle lane to go ahead and right
Right lane to go right only

Please how do I take the 3rd exit on the right (2 o'clock) from the middle lane specifically[signal on approach, lane in the roundabout (Inner vs Outer lane), and exit]?

Kindly help me as I have failed my test twice on this roundabout even after my Instructor told me what to do after my 1st test(No signal on approach in the middle lane, keep to the outer lane on the roundabout, signal right on approaching the 2nd exit to show you're still going ahead, then left signal at the 2nd exit and come off)

Thank you
Original post by Jinif
Kindly help me as I have failed my test twice on this roundabout even after my Instructor told me what to do after my 1st test(No signal on approach in the middle lane, keep to the outer lane on the roundabout, signal right on approaching the 2nd exit to show you're still going ahead, then left signal at the 2nd exit and come off)

Broadly speaking, this sounds correct. Could you be failing on observations? If both lanes can exit to the right, you should generally avoid being alongside anyone and be anticipating having to merge.
Original post by Jinif
On a roundabout that has 2 lanes (Inner and outer lane) and 3 lanes on approach:

Left lane to go left ie 1st exit
Middle lane to go ahead and right
Right lane to go right only

Please how do I take the 3rd exit on the right (2 o'clock) from the middle lane specifically[signal on approach, lane in the roundabout (Inner vs Outer lane), and exit]?

Thank you

As you approach the roundabout, you signal right. You should keep to the inner lane of the roundabout. As you're passing the exit before that at which you'll be leaving, you should indicate left and move to the outside lane of the roundabout in order to exit. The green car in the diagram below shows this scenario (although it shows the car using the right land of the exit, which runs the risk of cutting across the white car if it has already joined the roundabout at that point and was going straight across).

The green car is exiting a 3 o'clock rather than 2 o'clock, but that makes no difference here, and in joins from a two lane road rather than a 3 lane road. That just means that you'd need to move right slightly as you join the roundabout the move from the centre lane of the approach to the inner lane of the roundabout. You'd need to be aware of cars on the right land of the roundabout as you did this, which is why I'd always ensure I was in the right lane if I were turning right anyway. However, you'd said to assume a centre-lane starting point.
Reply 3
Roundabouts with more than 4 roads tend to have lane markings to help find the best route, although these can be confusing and sometimes there is a need to change lanes with the necessary observation. I’ve been driving a while and still find some roundabouts challenging. Best bet is lots of practice on the roundabout you mention
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Broadly speaking, this sounds correct. Could you be failing on observations? If both lanes can exit to the right, you should generally avoid being alongside anyone and be anticipating having to merge.

Thank you but I don't understand why I should signal right on approaching the second exit instead of signaling right on approach to the roundabout ie before entering the roundabout to show that I am going right

This is a small roundabout and what happens is that I signal right on approaching the second exit and left immediately to leave the roundabout.
This looks as if I am confused about how to signal correctly to leave a roundabout ie I signal right and then change it to left

I check the middle and left mirrors including the left blind spot before leaving the roundabout
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
As you approach the roundabout, you signal right. You should keep to the inner lane of the roundabout. As you're passing the exit before that at which you'll be leaving, you should indicate left and move to the outside lane of the roundabout in order to exit. The green car in the diagram below shows this scenario (although it shows the car using the right land of the exit, which runs the risk of cutting across the white car if it has already joined the roundabout at that point and was going straight across).

The green car is exiting a 3 o'clock rather than 2 o'clock, but that makes no difference here, and in joins from a two lane road rather than a 3 lane road. That just means that you'd need to move right slightly as you join the roundabout the move from the centre lane of the approach to the inner lane of the roundabout. You'd need to be aware of cars on the right land of the roundabout as you did this, which is why I'd always ensure I was in the right lane if I were turning right anyway. However, you'd said to assume a centre-lane starting point.

Thank you for your response

The examiner asked me to use the middle lane specifically. I understand what to do if the roundabout has 2 lanes on approach

My instructor said that I should be on the outer lane of the roundabout because cars starting out on the right lane would be on the inner lane

My problem is why I should not signal right on approach but on the second exit
Original post by Jinif
Thank you for your response

The examiner asked me to use the middle lane specifically. I understand what to do if the roundabout has 2 lanes on approach

My instructor said that I should be on the outer lane of the roundabout because cars starting out on the right lane would be on the inner lane

My problem is why I should not signal right on approach but on the second exit

Well, if you want to take the word of a trained professional (i.e. your instructor) over some random stranger on the internet (i.e. me) then go ahead. :wink:

My view is that the approach road having three lanes and the roundabout having two is no different from if the approach road merged from three lanes into two just before you reached the roundabout. Which of the two lanes would you merge into? If I'm turning right, then I'm going to merge into the right-hand lane and then do exactly what the green car does in the diagram above (from the Highway Code). The fact the the "merge into right hand" operation happens as you join the roundabout rather than immediately beforehand makes little difference as far as I'm concerned.

As for "why I should not signal right on approach", I can't answer that because I believe it's wrong. Here's what the Highway Code says, from rule 186 (I've only quoted the pieces about turning right):

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
* keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

Now, you've been asked to approach in the centre lane, so the "approach in the right-hand lane" bit doesn't apply. That doesn't mean that the rest of the instructions (in terms of signalling) should be discarded.
I'm a bit baffled as to why you're keeping to the outer lane on the roundabout. A 2 o'clock exit would require you to be in the inner lane on the roundabout.

I'm on board with everything @DataVenia is saying. I've been driving over 20 years, and the advice you're being given by your instructor honestly sounds weird to me.

But there we go.
(edited 1 year ago)
How many lanes are at the exit from the roundabout?

If you're saying that you can turn right from either the centre or right-hand approach lanes, then I'm guessing there are two exit lanes?

What I really don't understand is when you say 'signal right on approaching the 2nd exit to show you're still going ahead'? You would never signal right to show someone you're going ahead. You only signal right when you're going right.

If you're taking the third exit and the middle lane is available for this (an examiner giving you guidance to do this then it sounds highly likely!) Then the steps are simple:

1. Approach in the middle lane signalling your intention to turn right.
2. Keep to the left (outside lane?) in the roundabout.
3. Signal left as you're passing the second exit and leave the roundabout taking up the left-hand lane.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm a bit baffled as to why you're keeping to the outer lane on the roundabout. A 2 o'clock exit would require you to be in the inner lane on the roundabout.

I'm on board with everything @DataVenia is saying. I've been driving over 20 years, and the advice you're being given by your instructor honestly sounds weird to me.

But there we go.

It sounds weird, but I think I get it.

It's simply just a case of the third exit having two lanes on exit. Thus the 'middle' lane and inner lane are both going right. The left lane seems to be more of a peel-off to the left by the sounds of it (3 lane entry, 2 lane roundabout). It sounds like a bit of a wonky roundabout really.

But in regards to the lane choice... Well, if the markings say otherwise it's hard to argue because ultimately we're expected to keep left unless we're passing or turning right.

I'd probably go with indicating right before entering the roundabout just to try and avoid those in lane 3 cutting over into the left lane on exit. It seems like the safer, more sensible option IMHO. Not indicating until shortly before the 2nd exit initially makes people think you're going for the 2nd exit and makes the 3rd exit seem like a snap, last-moment decision.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by slartibartfast4
How many lanes are at the exit from the roundabout?

If you're saying that you can turn right from either the centre or right-hand approach lanes, then I'm guessing there are two exit lanes?

What I really don't understand is when you say 'signal right on approaching the 2nd exit to show you're still going ahead'? You would never signal right to show someone you're going ahead. You only signal right when you're going right.

If you're taking the third exit and the middle lane is available for this (an examiner giving you guidance to do this then it sounds highly likely!) Then the steps are simple:

1. Approach in the middle lane signalling your intention to turn right.
2. Keep to the left (outside lane?) in the roundabout.
3. Signal left as you're passing the second exit and leave the roundabout taking up the left-hand lane.

I used this rule:

1. Approach in the middle lane signalling your intention to turn right.2. Keep to the left (outside lane?) in the roundabout.3. Signal left as you're passing the second exit and leave the roundabout taking up the left-hand lane.

I had an accident recently on a roundabout when there were three lanes. The left lane pointing towards left only, middle and right lane pointing straight ahead only. I took the middle lane and gave right indicator, i was following the middle lane to the left lane. A person from my right side hit my car and overtook me before I pass the 2nd exit.

The other person was taking the 2nd exit, and I took the 3rd exit. Who is at fault?
Original post by Falaqs
I used this rule:

1. Approach in the middle lane signalling your intention to turn right.2. Keep to the left (outside lane?) in the roundabout.3. Signal left as you're passing the second exit and leave the roundabout taking up the left-hand lane.

I had an accident recently on a roundabout when there were three lanes. The left lane pointing towards left only, middle and right lane pointing straight ahead only. I took the middle lane and gave right indicator, i was following the middle lane to the left lane. A person from my right side hit my car and overtook me before I pass the 2nd exit.

The other person was taking the 2nd exit, and I took the 3rd exit. Who is at fault?

According to the road markings you've described, the "middle and right lane pointing straight ahead only." Yet you say you "took the middle lane and gave right indicator" and "took the 3rd exit". So you turned right from a lane marked as ahead only? Are you sure you have described the scenario correctly?
Reply 12
[quote="Falaqs;99139564"]
According to the road markings you've described, the

Yes, from middle lane pointing straight head, I stayed in my lane and it takes me to the left lane because three lanes are now splitting in two lanes left and right lane. From middle lane you will enter in the left lane. If you have taken right lane in the beginning then you will enter in right lane when you are near 2nd exit. I was following my lane and the other driver overtook me before I cross the 2nd exit.
Reply 13
According to the road markings you've described, the "middle and right lane pointing straight ahead only." Yet you say you "took the middle lane and gave right indicator" and "took the 3rd exit". So you turned right from a lane marked as ahead only? Are you sure you have described the scenario correctly?

There was no arrow pointing towards right only
Original post by Falaqs
There was no arrow pointing towards right only

Understood. But what you've written above makes no sense. I'll quote it for you (with the nonsensical bit in bold):

Original post by Falaqs
The left lane pointing towards left only, middle and right lane pointing straight ahead only.

So you're saying there were three lanes, marked as follows:
Left lane: left only
Middle lane: straight ahead only
Right lane: straight ahead only

If that is accurate (which I highly doubt that it is), then there is no way to turn right. So all I'm asking you to do is to describe the lane markings again, in a way which makes sense. I'm less interested right now in what lane you were in, what lane the other party was in, who turned which way. I'm just trying to picture the roundabout in a way which makes sense. Because it won't be this:

Roundabout - Left or Straight Ahead Only.jpg
Reply 15
Understood. But what you've written above makes no sense. I'll quote it for you (with the nonsensical bit in bold):

So you're saying there were three lanes, marked as follows:
Left lane: left only
Middle lane: straight ahead only
Right lane: straight ahead only

If that is accurate (which I highly doubt that it is), then there is no way to turn right. So all I'm asking you to do is to describe the lane markings again, in a way which makes sense. I'm less interested right now in what lane you were in, what lane the other party was in, who turned which way. I'm just trying to picture the roundabout in a way which makes sense. Because it won't be this:

Roundabout - Left or Straight Ahead Only.jpg

What I have mentioned it makes sense as this is a correct scenario. The picture you shared above is exactly the same markings which I have explained earlier. Please find the screenshot below
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Falaqs
What I have mentioned it makes sense as this is a correct scenario. The picture you shared above is exactly the same markings which I have explained earlier. Please find the screenshot below

Unfortunately your image doesn't display correctly. I've no idea why.

So, we've established that the left-hand lane was left-only and the other two land (middle and right) were ahead only. Thank you for confirming. Yet there were at least three exits. So if we imagine the roundabout as a clock-face, with you entering at 6 o'clock, exit 3 must have been at about 12 o'clock (as it's straight ahead) - or perhaps 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock. So I'm going to assume exit 1 was at about 8 o'clock and exit 2 was at about 10 o'clock.

The other driver overtook you on the roundabout, cut across your path (as you were heading for exit 3 - straight ahead), and left at exit 2 (at about 10 o'clock). It sounds like the other driver was at fault to me. They was clearly expecting traffic for exit three to be in the right-hand lane, although the marking would suggest that traffic for exits 2 and 3 could use either the middle or right lane. Which sounds like a very poor roundabout design.

I'm not 100% why you "I took the middle lane and gave right indicator", but let's ignore that.
Reply 17
Unfortunately your image doesn't display correctly. I've no idea why.

So, we've established that the left-hand lane was left-only and the other two land (middle and right) were ahead only. Thank you for confirming. Yet there were at least three exits. So if we imagine the roundabout as a clock-face, with you entering at 6 o'clock, exit 3 must have been at about 12 o'clock (as it's straight ahead) - or perhaps 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock. So I'm going to assume exit 1 was at about 8 o'clock and exit 2 was at about 10 o'clock.

The other driver overtook you on the roundabout, cut across your path (as you were heading for exit 3 - straight ahead), and left at exit 2 (at about 10 o'clock). It sounds like the other driver was at fault to me. They was clearly expecting traffic for exit three to be in the right-hand lane, although the marking would suggest that traffic for exits 2 and 3 could use either the middle or right lane. Which sounds like a very poor roundabout design.

I'm not 100% why you "I took the middle lane and gave right indicator", but let's ignore that.

It means I should not give right indicator even if I’m going to take the 3rd exit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending