The Student Room Group

My Stomach Growling Problem

I'm 14 years old now and Iv'e been suffering from the effects of bulimia. I might have IBS because my immune system is weak. I stopped purging last year and I'm glad but now the long term effects are catching up to me. I have anxiety problems when I'm in public like school and or shopping with my family. In school I have problems with my immune system so that's why I have stomach growling. I have my own ways of dealing with this problem; I take snacks and smuggle them in my pocket of my sweater to class. Also I would chew my food slowly and thoroughly so my body doesn't need extra work to break down the food. Don't eat something whole because your body will work harder to digest the food making the growling louder.

It also may be because some are swallowing air more than others which causes gas in the stomach. Chewing gum will not help with the gas problem; it will just make you swallow more air in the process.

If you are suffering from this problem to don't worry. Hopefully this story helps you or maybe you want to prevent it from happening.

I went to the doctor and they said I was underweight for my age so they prescribed me with pediasure and gas relief pills. One time my stomach growling got out of hand so much, I had to text my mom to pick me up from school because there was no way I was going to survive the last couple hours in a classroom.

I wish this would stop but the only thing I could probably start doing is working on my exercising.
If you have this problem too I hope that you have a good day and this article helped you. I will have a list of things at the bottom on how to prevent stomach growling that helps me...

1. If you have anxiety, keep it to yourself! Try not to worry if you feel your stomach acting up don't worry.

2. Drink water or bring a water bottle with you to class if your allowed; don't drink too much though just take some sips each hour instead of gulping it all down.

3. If you have gas get it out by farting or belching or maybe go to the bathroom. Try not to make it noticable if you don't want people catching you farting in class, just don't hold in, let it out.

4. Try not to think about it and try to focus your attention on something else.

5. Try to walk around as much as possible because when your walking or playing sports, your anxiety goes out the window and if you feel sick to the stomach you can just walk to a corner away from everyone and all the worries go away.

6. Your anxiety makes the growling worse and one of the reasons are when you are near a big crowd or in public you will develop the anxiety. You might also feel worried about silence in the classroom when all of a sudden you hear a growling noise. Try to make any sound as possible: type loudly on your computer, flip through the pages of a book loudly or make sure you have a bunch of papers next to you if you want to make any sound to drown out your problem.
do the gas relief pills help with the noises??
This happens to me all the time, I wish I could find an cure
I had this issue in college all the time and very concerned to start uni :frown:. Ugggg if anyone finds some more things that help let me know.
Original post by Cloudiii
I had this issue in college all the time and very concerned to start uni :frown:. Ugggg if anyone finds some more things that help let me know.

Don't eat too much before College, preferably eat an hour before you start. Check what foods make your stomach rumble. If you feel like it's gonna be audible, hold it in as if you were holding a ****.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by urlocalinmate
Don't eat too much before College, preferably eat an hour before you start. Check what foods make your stomach rumble. If you feel like it's gonna be audible, hold it in as if you were holding a ****.

I used to only eat a handful of corn flakes in the morning and I still had that issue
Original post by Cloudiii
I used to only eat a handful of corn flakes in the morning and I still had that issue

Yeah, forgot to add, don't eat too little, it gets worse. I have three slices of toast and have no issues. For breakfast, eat enough, to the point where you don't feel empty but also don't feel full.
Original post by urlocalinmate
Yeah, forgot to add, don't eat too little, it gets worse. I have three slices of toast and have no issues. For breakfast, eat enough, to the point where you don't feel empty but also don't feel full.

Right, I will try that thanks
I have this too, but what do you do in exams? My class is really small and we are all in one room together, so If my stomach growls everyone will hear.
Reply 9
Hi I’m 15 and I was diagnosed with social anxiety and depression at 14.( yup this is a long one)

One time I was in a biology test and my stomach growled really loudly continuously. Obviously it was really embarrassing but back then I was really loud and extroverted so I just laughed it off.

But then it started to happen all the time. Every time I was in a class or a quiet/silent atmosphere my stomach would start making these noises.

I would get so stressed about this and would rarely show up to class. School were mildly understanding but they have a lot of students to deal with and sometimes it can be hard to just talk one on one about what was going on.

This developed into full blown panic attacks as soon as I entered a classroom. All because of the fear my stomach would growl 😅.

I lost all my confidence and became cut off from people as my anxiety spiraled into depression as i though I was all alone with this problem.

CONTENT WARNING: Mention of previous suicide attempt

Spoiler

My advice to anyone relating to my story would be:

Pls talk to a trusted adult - I in know this can be rlly scary and hard to do but getting help is probably the best thing that ever happened as it solved so many problems.

Try talking to a few TRUSTED friends - you never know if maybe people in ur own circle might feel the same ways u do. Maybe not the exact same thing but they may struggle with similar problems. It can be nice to know ur not alone.

Quick Reply

Latest