The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Switching from Arabic, Persian and Spanish to Arabic, Persian and Russian

I've applied to St Andrews for an MA in Arabic Persian and Spanish. I have yet to hear back either way, but as the deadline is fast approaching, I expect to find out soon.
Ideally I would have applied for the third language in Russian, but I couldn't find that option (for the life of my I tried). I was browsing to see if I could take an additional module in Russian, if I were to get on to the course, and stumbled across this page
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/route/UAHWAPRTAPR/year/2014-5/assessment
which is exactly the course I was originally looking for. Would it be sensible to contact the admissions department now about this? Or wait to see if I get an offer and try to switch.

Some further background:
This will be my second undergraduate degree (currently doing a stats based degree at Warwick)
I have A Levels in Maths (A*), Further Maths (A), French (A) and Spanish (B).
All of the languages I've applied for, as well as Russian are taught Ab Initio at St Andrews, to my understanding.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Shmarty
I've applied to St Andrews for an MA in Arabic Persian and Spanish. I have yet to hear back either way, but as the deadline is fast approaching, I expect to find out soon.
Ideally I would have applied for the third language in Russian, but I couldn't find that option (for the life of my I tried). I was browsing to see if I could take an additional module in Russian, if I were to get on to the course, and stumbled across this page
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/route/UAHWAPRTAPR/year/2014-5/assessment
which is exactly the course I was originally looking for. Would it be sensible to contact the admissions department now about this? Or wait to see if I get an offer and try to switch.

Some further background:
This will be my second undergraduate degree (currently doing a stats based degree at Warwick)
I have A Levels in Maths (A*), Further Maths (A), French (A) and Spanish (B).
All of the languages I've applied for, as well as Russian are taught Ab Initio at St Andrews, to my understanding.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact them now. It's usually very easy to pick up subjects when you get here but since you've originally applied for 3, you might run into some difficulties changing one of them. If you can't change it now then it's not the end of the world, and you may be able to change when you get here by speaking to your adviser :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Ecosse_14
I would contact them now. It's usually very easy to pick up subjects when you get here but since you've originally applied for 3, you might run into some difficulties changing one of them. If you can't change it now then it's not the end of the world, and you may be able to change when you get here by speaking to your adviser :smile:

Thank you! I emailed them, they switched it, and I just got my offer! Couldn't be more pleased :u:
Reply 3
Original post by Shmarty
Thank you! I emailed them, they switched it, and I just got my offer! Couldn't be more pleased :u:

Excellent news, congrats! :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Shmarty

I emailed asking to switch yesterday and heard nothing back..im not sure if Ive used the right address. were there any problems with you switching subjects, did they seem ok with it?
Reply 5
Original post by hj659
I emailed asking to switch yesterday and heard nothing back..im not sure if Ive used the right address. were there any problems with you switching subjects, did they seem ok with it?

It didn't seem to be a problem at all really. I rang up admissions first, actually, and told them I'd found a course better suited and they said that was fine, I just had to email to confirm. Maybe ring them to make sure. It's always best to speak to a person so that you don't get pushed to the end of the pile.

Hope you get yours sorted! Xx
I'm doing Arabic and IR second year next year, and first year Persian, so we'll be in the same class :smile:

Original post by Shmarty
It didn't seem to be a problem at all really. I rang up admissions first, actually, and told them I'd found a course better suited and they said that was fine, I just had to email to confirm. Maybe ring them to make sure. It's always best to speak to a person so that you don't get pushed to the end of the pile.

Hope you get yours sorted! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending