The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Official SOAS University of London Postgraduate Applicant Thread for 2024

Hello everyone, this is a thread for anyone applying to the postgraduate courses at SOAS University of London for a start in September 2024.

Current students and SOAS staff will monitor this chat, so we will do our best to answer any of your questions. This is also a great place to meet other prospective students too!

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What did you study for your undergraduate?

You can see what courses we have on offer here.

Scroll to see replies

hi, i have a few questions i've asked SOAS student enquiries office but havent got a response. if anyone can help, that would be great. as context, i am from India, and will be applying for a taught MA.

1)* When will the following scholarship applications open for Sep2024 intake? (a) V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarship, (b) SOAS Postgraduate Scholarship, and (c) Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship

2) For the V P Kanitkar Memorial*Scholarship, (a) How many academic/professional references are required?, (b) What are the guidelines for the referees (e.g., word count, questions to answer, format of letter)?

3) Can I add referees to my MA (taught) program application,*or is*it strictly restricted for PhD/Research applicants only? If I can do so, what are the guidelines for the referees? Can the referees be the same as those who submit references for the V P Kanitkar Scholarship review?

4) I have an IELTS score from September 2021, I completed my undergraduate degree (2014) and schooling with English instruction, and I have been a working*professional for 7+ years with English as my primary language of communication. I have uploaded the Sep2021 IELTS scores onto my application. Should I still plan to retake IELTS and upload fresh scores?**
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hello everyone, this is a thread for anyone applying to the postgraduate courses at SOAS University of London for a start in September 2024.

Current students and SOAS staff will monitor this chat, so we will do our best to answer any of your questions. This is also a great place to meet other prospective students too!

Ice breaker questions:

You can see what courses we have on offer here.

Hello, I have completed drafting my research proposal for my PhD application. However, my bibliography is two pages long. I am aware that it is recommended to limit the bibliography to one page. Could this potentially impact my application? Apart from that, my proposal is within the word limit.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello, I have completed drafting my research proposal for my PhD application. However, my bibliography is two pages long. I am aware that it is recommended to limit the bibliography to one page. Could this potentially impact my application? Apart from that, my proposal is within the word limit.

Hi, thanks for your message. I don't think it will impact your application too much. However, it is worth asking your academic advisor or your department to see what they suggest. Hope this helps!
Hi!
I applied for the taught MA African Studies programme on Tuesday afternoon. By Wednesday morning, I received an offer. Is this normal? Should I double check that there was no mistake?
Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi!
I applied for the taught MA African Studies programme on Tuesday afternoon. By Wednesday morning, I received an offer. Is this normal? Should I double check that there was no mistake?
Any help would be appreciated!

I think it is normal. Last year, I applied for an MA in African Studies on a Friday, and got an offer on Monday.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think it is normal. Last year, I applied for an MA in African Studies on a Friday, and got an offer on Monday.

That's good to hear. Thanks for replying. Did you take the offer? How did you find the programme?
Original post by Anonymous #2
That's good to hear. Thanks for replying. Did you take the offer? How did you find the programme?

I took the offer but ended up applying for a PhD instead, so I can't comment on it. It would have been my second MA if I had started this year. I only applied for the MA because I doubted my own abilities, and didn't think I was ready for a PhD
Hello I applied for an MA in Social Anthropology. Just received an offer!
Hi, all! I've accepted my offer for MA South Asian Studies with Intensive Language (Hindi) for September. For the student reps or anyone else who's more familiar, what are the age demographics for the taught postgraduate courses at SOAS like? This will be my second master's degree, so I'm hoping to make friends who are slightly older. (I'll be 27 when I start, for reference.)
Original post by harshika.gupta
hi, i have a few questions i've asked SOAS student enquiries office but havent got a response. if anyone can help, that would be great. as context, i am from India, and will be applying for a taught MA.

1)* When will the following scholarship applications open for Sep2024 intake? (a) V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarship, (b) SOAS Postgraduate Scholarship, and (c) Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship

2) For the V P Kanitkar Memorial*Scholarship, (a) How many academic/professional references are required?, (b) What are the guidelines for the referees (e.g., word count, questions to answer, format of letter)?

3) Can I add referees to my MA (taught) program application,*or is*it strictly restricted for PhD/Research applicants only? If I can do so, what are the guidelines for the referees? Can the referees be the same as those who submit references for the V P Kanitkar Scholarship review?

4) I have an IELTS score from September 2021, I completed my undergraduate degree (2014) and schooling with English instruction, and I have been a working*professional for 7+ years with English as my primary language of communication. I have uploaded the Sep2021 IELTS scores onto my application. Should I still plan to retake IELTS and upload fresh scores?**

Hi harshika.gupta,

Scholarships are being updated on the website throughout January 2024, so be sure to check the website pages for updates: https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/fees-and-funding/scholarships/masters-scholarships

There are no references required to VP Kanitkar and most of the criteria will be as listed on the advert and highly unlikely to change for 2024/25: https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/student-life/finance/scholarships/vp-kanitkar-memorial-scholarships

You are welcome to upload references for your MA application, but it isn't a requirement. I would also advise waiting for an assessment regarding the IELTS you have submitted.

If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Katie 🙂
Original post by theharrisbenji
Hello I applied for an MA in Social Anthropology. Just received an offer!

Congratulations! I'm a MA in Social Anthropology alum and happy to help with any questions or provide any guidance before the start of term!

Monica
Original post by confused-taxicab
Hi, all! I've accepted my offer for MA South Asian Studies with Intensive Language (Hindi) for September. For the student reps or anyone else who's more familiar, what are the age demographics for the taught postgraduate courses at SOAS like? This will be my second master's degree, so I'm hoping to make friends who are slightly older. (I'll be 27 when I start, for reference.)

Hi, congratulations on your offer! I am doing my MA in Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian. In my experience, the language classes are a bit of a mix of undergrads who are just freshly out of high school, people who have done an undergrad and moving on to a different field, professionals who are looking for a second career, people who are just interested in the language and the culture, all sorts really. I am pretty sure you will meet both the people who are younger than you and the people who are older than you. Wishing you all the best!

Please do not hesitate to ask any more questions that you may have.

-A
MA Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian
Hi! I have an offer for a part time MA in middle eastern studies and intensive language (arabic). I'll be working flexibly 4 days a week while doing this. Is that possible? How often do students have to go to campus when doing a part time MA? How intense is it schedule-wise?
Original post by Idontknowi
Hi! I have an offer for a part time MA in middle eastern studies and intensive language (arabic). I'll be working flexibly 4 days a week while doing this. Is that possible? How often do students have to go to campus when doing a part time MA? How intense is it schedule-wise?

Hi there! If it's a part-time course over 2 years, you would be expected to be on-campus 2 - 3 times a week. I've just come across this thread response which you may find helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7359685

Katie 🙂
Original post by SOAS Student Rep

Ice breaker questions:

You can see what courses we have on offer [url=
Hi everyone! Does anyone know how long it approximately takes to hear back from SOAS after applying for an MA? Weeks/months?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hi everyone! Does anyone know how long it approximately takes to hear back from SOAS after applying for an MA? Weeks/months?

Hi,

SOAS usually takes about 4-weeks to process an MA application.

Good luck with you application.

-A
MA Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian
Anyone applied for a PhD this year and heard back?
Reply 19
Hello! Has anyone (in, from India) heard back from Felix yet? Is there a way to know a tentative timeline?
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending