The Student Room Group

I am a muslim girl and worried that I won't get a job because of my Headscarve

I haven't been applying for any jobs lately I am a graduate and I am constantly hesitant in applying for jobs because I am afraid that I will not get past interview stage and even if I get a job I feel like I won't fit in with others. I've had a couple of interviews before and it seems that I get in to interviews but never get the job. It's just stressing me out atm, I've missed so many graduate jobs deadlines because I worry that I’ll be the odd one out in which ever job I get.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're a woman and an ethnic minority(?), employers will be trampling over themselves to hire you if you put more of an effort into applying for available positions. They'll probably pay you to do photo shoots for websites and promotional material so that they can brag about their equal opportunities and workplace diversity.

Keep at it, you'll be successful eventually :smile:
first of all you should be proud of wearing your hijab no matter what, as it is part of your religon. if people cant except you for who you are then thats their problem!

however it could also depend upon the type of job you are applying for...? for example if you applied for a job like hairdressing then i could see why it would be difficult to get a job

but also, with anything that you choose to do in life you shouldnt always care about what other people think of you......it wont get you anywhere!
Reply 3
Original post by Mockery
You're a woman and an ethnic minority(?), employers will be trampling over themselves to hire you if you put more of an effort into applying for available positions. They'll probably pay you to do photo shoots for websites and promotional material so that they can brag about their equal opportunities and workplace diversity.

Keep at it, you'll be successful eventually :smile:

It's not as easy as you make it out to be but thnks for the encouraging words.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's not as easy as you make it out to be but thnks for the encouraging words.

I understand that more than most, it's certainly not easy. Something trivial such as the concern you have makes it far more difficult than it ought to be, however.

The more you apply for the more chance you have of being offered a job, regardless of societal prejudice that may or may not exist :wink:
then take your headscarf off - if your choice of fashion is frustrating your chances of being hired, then you've got to do something about it, you can't expect the world to move for you
for example, I have long hair, I've always had long hair (and I'm a guy) (although by "long" I mean down to my nose at the front with my fringe if it went straight~) and I know that if I'm going to be hired to make a middle class wage I'm going to need to eventually cut my hair short and I'm going to look horrible (in my opinion) but I accept this as necessary, and with your headscarf you can and should see your image change as necessary as well. at least you can wear your headscarf at home while in my situation I can't just grow my hair back as soon as I get home from work
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by captain.sensible
then take your headscarf off - if your choice of fashion is frustrating your chances of being hired, then you've got to do something about it, you can't expect the world to move for you
for example, I have long hair, I've always had long hair (and I'm a guy) and I know that if I'm going to be hired to make a middle class wage I'm going to need to eventually cut my hair short and I'm going to look horrible (in my opinion) but I accept this as necessary, and with your headscarf you can and should see your image change as necessary as well. at least you can wear your headscarf at home while in my situation I can't just grow my hair back as soon as I get home from work

May not even have to go as far as that, headscarfs typically tend to be boring in colour or pattern, because of whatever perverse quasi-religious reasoning women are brought up with. More appealing, 'fashionable' and presentable headwear might make a huge difference.
Reply 7
I wouldn't mind to employ people from any religion, background and ethnicity, but because a girl (or boy) is muslim and rejects to handshake with my employees (considering it's ethics in the UK) I wouldn't want that person in my workplace.

Look, employees want outgoing, positive and open minded people. If anyone distant themselves from other employees, doesn't attend any events because there might be alcohol, it signals that that person is not adaptable with the norms and culture of the company. It's not their fault, it's not your fault. and it's not a discrimination.

But as someone said before, companies might be willing to employ people from ethnic minority for "marketing" purposes or if you are outstandingly good.

Do you have work experience or extra activities to show off at interviews?
Reply 8
Original post by lNurl
I wouldn't mind to employ people from any religion, background and ethnicity, but because a girl (or boy) is muslim and rejects to handshake with my employees (considering it's ethics in the UK) I wouldn't want that person in my workplace.

Look, employees want outgoing, positive and open minded people. If anyone distant themselves from other employees, doesn't attend any events because there might be alcohol, it signals that that person is not adaptable with the norms and culture of the company. It's not their fault, it's not your fault. and it's not a discrimination.

But as someone said before, companies might be willing to employ people from ethnic minority for "marketing" purposes or if you are outstandingly good.

Do you have work experience or extra activities to show off at interviews?

This is a free country where everyone can practice their religion freely. I am sure drinking alcohol is not part of the job description lol.
Reply 9
Original post by captain.sensible
for example, I have long hair, I've always had long hair (and I'm a guy) (although by "long" I mean down to my nose at the front with my fringe if it went straight~) and I know that if I'm going to be hired to make a middle class wage I'm going to need to eventually cut my hair short and I'm going to look horrible (in my opinion) but I accept this as necessary, and with your headscarf you can and should see your image change as necessary as well. at least you can wear your headscarf at home while in my situation I can't just grow my hair back as soon as I get home from work

What s stupid post.its not a fashion choice, and yes you can expect the world to make reasonable adjustments.

OP keep trying, even oxbridge graduates are unemployed. If you think the scarf is a major issue apply to work in the public sector
Reply 10
Yeah you sure won't get a job if you dont apply :rolleyes: several of my colleagues wear headscarves and nobody cares.
They shouldn't not give you the job for that reason, and tbh, if they don't want you for that reason, you probably wouldn't want to be working with them. I know it sounds rude of me to say so, but I would definitely employ someone I would expect to act in a more conservative way with the other employees, just for the sake of avoiding drama and bull**** etc. Just make sure it looks formal and suits the dress-code and it is unlikely to be a problem.
Original post by AnnaXO
Yeah you sure won't get a job if you dont apply :rolleyes: several of my colleagues wear headscarves and nobody cares.

Agreed:smile:
Reply 13
This is a free country where everyone can practice their religion freely. I am sure drinking alcohol is not part of the job description lol.

I never said that. I said many Muslims avoid going to places where they serve alcoholic drinks. Adapting to company culture is in job description.
Don't wear it then? You live in a free society.
Reply 15
Then stop wearing it, duh.
Original post by felamaslen
Don't wear it then? You live in a free society.

Exactly, we live in a free society, which is why she is free to wear whatever she wants without getting discriminated against for it.
Reply 17
No respectable place would refuse hire you just because of your headscarf. However, if you truly feel that way and it is getting in the way of you getting hired then it'd be easier to take it off. If you don't want to then don't. You are in NO position whatsoever to take it off if you don't want to :smile:
Reply 18
I haven't been applying for any jobs lately I am a graduate and I am constantly hesitant in applying for jobs because I am afraid that I will not get past interview stage and even if I get a job I feel like I won't fit in with others. I've had a couple of interviews before and it seems that I get in to interviews but never get the job. It's just stressing me out atm, I've missed so many graduate jobs deadlines because I worry that I’ll be the odd one out in which ever job I get.

Have you looked in Birmingham or London?

I'm from Birmingham and a significant proportion of the people I worked with have always been Muslim :smile:

Also don't worry, even if you do stand out people don't mind, there aren't many places in the country where people wont have worked with a Muslim before. I'm white and blonde and still often felt like I kept getting interviews but not the job, so don't fret that is down to your headscarf :smile: It happens to the best of us, it is a tough job market.
Original post by ikilledosama
Exactly, we live in a free society, which is why she is free to wear whatever she wants without getting discriminated against for it.

Only within reason. You would not expect to be employed if you walked into your job interview with a Darth Vader mask, say.

The free society is what enables us to wear whatever we like while doing our own business. Once employed by somebody else, you abide by their rules.

If I personally was employing somebody by the way, I would not mind if they wore a hijab or other religious costume, all I'm saying is that if a different employer takes a different view, their view should be respected.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending