The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fyi im taking igcse :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Killafrog18
Waa I'm the same, just started today! Bricking it! XD anyone here take gcse geography wjec spec b???

I do! We've still got to cover the majority of Theme 3 and about 8 more case studies in lessson. tbh I haven't really looked at any of them since I've written them up so I'm working through them (seeing as geog's on of my first exams) alongside my other subjects and my teacher is RUBBISH and never in so i'm trying to partially teach myself stuff as well. predicted an A* for geography but i think i'd be lucky to scrape a C in the exam. basically i'm totally screwed
Reply 22
Original post by AlphaNick
92,500 words of revision notes.

I am not even kidding, I have notes for every single subject (except languages and English literature).

What happened to quick and snappy revision notes... Sounds like you're creating an essay for yourself to read on the bus...
4 hours a day whilst I'm doing six exams for three subjects in year 10.
(edited 10 years ago)
I haven't done much just bits but they don't really count, most of my friends have started. One girl does like five hours and one went from B-D's to A/A*s in all her mocks so yeah ppl at my schl make me feel terrible for doing no reason :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Ooh, my memory is 'minuscule' compared to yours? What is the longest number you've ever memorised? Mine was 25-digits, and guess what?! THe ONLY reason it was capped at 25 was because 25 digits surpassed the page width.

Lol only 25 mines around 126
Selfish? Don't you know who I am?!
I am predicted 9 A*s and 2 As. I am studying two languages including Chinese, triple science and all academic subjects.
I got 8 A*s on my mocks.
I was interviewed at a private school and I was one of the 30 out of 500 people who got a place - but I didn't accept it because I see the futility of it all.
I was one of the 100 students out of roughly 4,500 who were given a direct offer at another 6th form.
I have typed up 92,000 words of revision notes over the last year.
I have an amazing memory and I can remember every single part of those notes. It takes me one glance at my Spanish/Mandarin writing essays and I can remember each section just like that. My thought process is regimented.

Recently our school did a yearbook vote in which everyone in year 11 had to vote for the students they thought fit each category. I won not only 'hardest working', but also 'highest achieving'. There are about 250 students in my year, and I am the one solitary hardest working and highest achieving boy out of all of them. Not only that, but I do windsurfing and sailing - I am academic as well as physical. Furthermore I have been to Beijing on an exchange trip, I've been to dozens of physics lectures, I have been to Oxford as a part of a humanities taster session, I've been to a Russell Group Conference about applying to such universities and dozens of other places including the Joint-European Torus project in Oxfordshire where they have an experimental fusion reactor.

And for those year 11 mocks which I did... I did virtually no revision at all.... ALL OF IT WAS compensated by the fact that I typed almost one tenth of a million words in notes for each subject. And you know what? In years 7 and 8 I was dumb. I was in set 2/5 for science, 4/10 for maths and 4/5 for English. NOW I AM set 1/5 for science, 2/10 for maths and 1/5 for English. I am at a state school by the way, not some magic private school.

All of it was my doing. All of this success was ON ME. I created it from what I was back then and there is NOTHING stopping you from doing the exact same. My memory power has increased so much because I CHOSE to stimulate my life into making that happen.

You need to choose to do well. People aren't naturally smart, you become smart at your own will. I am the 'hardest working' in my entire year - yet I honestly think I could work 10 times harder. I'm not smart, I have no magic plan for GCSEs - I'm just a student acquiring what I need to succeed. I'm not 'hard working', I'm average working - it is just that everyone else needs to get on my level. And all this takes is that tiny bit of dedication outside of school. 92,000 words of notes feels like nothing to me - I did it bit by bit over the last year and look where it has got me.

So before you consolidate how 'selfish' I am, which I may be, please consider the actual BENEFITS of perhaps typing up your own revision notes and committing to ACTIVE REVISION. Reading a revision guide does NOTHING. Watching YouTube videos does NOTHING. You can have my notes, but you will not have the thought process which I developed in typing them up. That consolidates half of the learning itself, the rest is catchup nearer to the exam dates. So do yourselves a favour, stop depending on Nelson Thornes or CGP for notes, make your own notes. And also stay out of my turf (North London) - go and be the hardest working / smartest somewhere else. I am king here.

Wow. He didn't ask for your life story. You're probably the most stuck-up person on here. Keep acting like the "king" in "your" turf and we'll see where that gets you in life.
Original post by idreece bashir
Wow. He didn't ask for your life story. You're probably the most stuck-up person on here. Keep acting like the "king" in "your" turf and we'll see where that gets you in life.

Saw the beginning of your post and was going to criticise you for being so rude but then saw his post and agreed with you :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
wow.....the amount of revision i have done so far seems minuscule to everyone else.....im past the stage of being stressed about gcses now im just completely disorientated
Reply 29
Original post by koolthing
wow.....the amount of revision i have done so far seems minuscule to everyone else.....im past the stage of being stressed about gcses now im just completely disorientated

There's two months... Most revise two weeks before the exams, you're sweet, just do a little now or go big when the time comes. Though make sure to use your easter holiday well.
Reply 30
I am focusing on science mainly at this point seeing as there is 18 modules to learn. Have also done a bit of rs,maths, sociology etc.

Its more about how productive your revision is than how much, but everyone has different ways of revising which takes different times.

I would say start soon so you dont end up cramming too much in and then stressing over it towards the end!
Good luck!
Reply 31
Original post by Trihawk7
There's two months... Most revise two weeks before the exams, you're sweet, just do a little now or go big when the time comes. Though make sure to use your easter holiday well.

ooh dont worry about that my easter holiday will be spent manically writing notes about everything :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by Ezgi_18
I am focusing on science mainly at this point seeing as there is 18 modules to learn. Have also done a bit of rs,maths, sociology etc.

Its more about how productive your revision is than how much, but everyone has different ways of revising which takes different times.

I would say start soon so you dont end up cramming too much in and then stressing over it towards the end!
Good luck!

i would say im quite lucky regarding science because i took my first and second module exams last november (im on ocr gateway science) but good luck revising to you as well! i hope it pays off :smile:
Original post by charlottejyp
Saw the beginning of your post and was going to criticise you for being so rude but then saw his post and agreed with you :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks :tongue:
Reply 34
i would say im quite lucky regarding science because i took my first and second module exams last november (im on ocr gateway science) but good luck revising to you as well! i hope it pays off :smile:

Im glad that its worked out for you :smile:
Thanks :smile: i just hope i manage to finish it off all in time
Ps, im doing ocr too :smile:
I am predicted 9 A*s and 2 As. I am studying two languages including Chinese, triple science and all academic subjects.
I got 8 A*s on my mocks.
I was interviewed at a private school and I was one of the 30 out of 500 people who got a place - but I didn't accept it because I see the futility of it all.
I was one of the 100 students out of roughly 4,500 who were given a direct offer at another 6th form.
I have an amazing memory and I can remember every single part of those notes. It takes me one glance at my Spanish/Mandarin writing essays and I can remember each section just like that. My thought process is regimented.

Recently our school did a yearbook vote in which everyone in year 11 had to vote for the students they thought fit each category. I won not only 'hardest working', but also 'highest achieving'. There are about 250 students in my year, and I am the one solitary hardest working and highest achieving boy out of all of them. Not only that, but I do windsurfing and sailing - I am academic as well as physical. Furthermore I have been to Beijing on an exchange trip, I've been to dozens of physics lectures, I have been to Oxford as a part of a humanities taster session, I've been to a Russell Group Conference about applying to such universities and dozens of other places including the Joint-European Torus project in Oxfordshire where they have an experimental fusion reactor.

And for those year 11 mocks which I did... I did virtually no revision at all.... ALL OF IT WAS compensated by the fact that I typed almost one tenth of a million words in notes for each subject. And you know what? In years 7 and 8 I was dumb. I was in set 2/5 for science, 4/10 for maths and 4/5 for English. NOW I AM set 1/5 for science, 2/10 for maths and 1/5 for English. I am at a state school by the way, not some magic private school.

All of it was my doing. All of this success was ON ME. I created it from what I was back then and there is NOTHING stopping you from doing the exact same. My memory power has increased so much because I CHOSE to stimulate my life into making that happen.

You need to choose to do well. People aren't naturally smart, you become smart at your own will. I am the 'hardest working' in my entire year - yet I honestly think I could work 10 times harder. I'm not smart, I have no magic plan for GCSEs - I'm just a student acquiring what I need to succeed. I'm not 'hard working', I'm average working - it is just that everyone else needs to get on my level. And all this takes is that tiny bit of dedication outside of school. 92,000 words of notes feels like nothing to me - I did it bit by bit over the last year and look where it has got me.

So before you consolidate how 'selfish' I am, which I may be, please consider the actual BENEFITS of perhaps typing up your own revision notes and committing to ACTIVE REVISION. Reading a revision guide does NOTHING. Watching YouTube videos does NOTHING. You can have my notes, but you will not have the thought process which I developed in typing them up. That consolidates half of the learning itself, the rest is catchup nearer to the exam dates. So do yourselves a favour, stop depending on Nelson Thornes or CGP for notes, make your own notes. And also stay out of my turf (North London) - go and be the hardest working / smartest somewhere else. I am king here.

Sorry i'm a bit late to the thread. :colondollar:

Cool story bro. :cool:
Reply 36
Original post by Ezgi_18
Im glad that its worked out for you :smile:
Thanks :smile: i just hope i manage to finish it off all in time
Ps, im doing ocr too :smile:

im sure you will :smile: science was a bit messed up by the government reforms last year if i remember correctly!! i was originally doing triple science but i had to move to double or else my teachers wouldnt have been able to teach the 5th and 6th modules in time :frown:
I got 8 A*s on my mocks.

If you think typing up revision notes is the best way of revising then you're wrong, it's not about which revision method is best, it's about whether it actually benefits you. There's nothing wrong with watching youtube videos or reading a revision guide, as long as the person is actually learning something from it and not just sitting there trying to cram it into their head.
Reply 38
im sure you will :smile: science was a bit messed up by the government reforms last year if i remember correctly!! i was originally doing triple science but i had to move to double or else my teachers wouldnt have been able to teach the 5th and 6th modules in time :frown:

Aww thats a shame, tbh, im not sure if we will finish the science as a whole as we still need to learn b5, b6 and c6 and with just over a month left i dont know where the teachers are planning to fit that in…
Reply 39
Now now, play nice children :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest