The Student Room Group

Year 9-2023-24

I made this tread for Students who will be in year 9 in 2023-2024 academic year.
I saw that all other year's had a thread and we dont :frown:

so i made this !

feel free to join the thread to connect with people who are in the same boat as you

be nice and share your thoughts x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
when do/did you all start year 9? i havent started yet - for anyone who did start did you get like a gsce assembly given we start some of the core subjects gsce courses (maths and science for my school i think)
Reply 2
i start tmrw !
i already chose my gcses at the very end of year 8
i have a option to do one exam of any humanities subject and computer science to do in year 10 rather than year 11 , so more time for one subject

i chose history x
i was just going to make the same thread LOL
I'm starting year 9 day after tomorrow aaaa
we're choosing gcses halfway through year 9 (we're not starting anything yet :frown:)
if you haven't got an assembly after a week in y9 (my school will probably do it in y10), then there might be a gcse options pack on the website (my school has one)
i wanna share that i made set one maths after being in set 2 last year which I'm honestly really happy about!!
Reply 4
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
i was just going to make the same thread LOL
I'm starting year 9 day after tomorrow aaaa
we're choosing gcses halfway through year 9 (we're not starting anything yet :frown:)
if you haven't got an assembly after a week in y9 (my school will probably do it in y10), then there might be a gcse options pack on the website (my school has one)
i wanna share that i made set one maths after being in set 2 last year which I'm honestly really happy about!!

well done for getting into set 1! thats great!
Original post by whoskaavya
well done for getting into set 1! thats great!

thank you so much, thats so kind of you! :smile:
Reply 6
Hey everyone,
sorry for the delay in responding to this thread. I completely forgot about it, which was pretty irresponsible of me.:biggrin:
Anyway, let's get back on track.:h:

How has your Year 9 been going?

As for me, things are going well so far. I've started my history GCSE and I'll be taking the exam at the end of Year 10, which is kind of crazy to think about.:eek:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
my year 9's been alright - nothing awful but it's also not been amazing
pretty awful as you already know hah
there’s so much homework now tho!!
Reply 9

ooh that seems bad...luckily my school doesn't give out much homework

oh no, anythign you want to share/get off your chest?
with homework im the smae - i swear its been a huge jump from yr 8 to yr 9.
Well I finished Year 9 in July. The workload compared to GCSE is much less so I guess appreciate it. You may see that the sets are becoming more competitive in Year 9. There's seven sets in my school. Anyway, good luck to the new year and chosing your GCSE subjects. If you're wondering, well I picked Geography, History, Computer Science, Spanish and Triple Science.
which do you prefer so far - geography or history? and is spanish a super intense course load?
Geography has more logical reasoning to it while History focuses more on content rather than logical explanations. When, it comes how easy they are they both similar, but Geography is a bit more boring than History. Spanish is not very hard, but if you don't need to do a language, I just will not do it unless I want Ebacc. Spanish isn't really intense, but focuses more on your vocab and grammar. I think listening is the hardest since I don't get what they say.
okay thank you SO much that's super helpful I think i'll go for history over geography. unfortuneatly we do need to do a language so i think ill do spanish
Original post by mohamednawaj
Geography has more logical reasoning to it while History focuses more on content rather than logical explanations. When, it comes how easy they are they both similar, but Geography is a bit more boring than History. Spanish is not very hard, but if you don't need to do a language, I just will not do it unless I want Ebacc. Spanish isn't really intense, but focuses more on your vocab and grammar. I think listening is the hardest since I don't get what they say.

that’s really great! Id still prefer the geo over history because I really like logical reasoning and geography in general. also, i’m taking computer science, so how’s that course? and how’s y10 in general?
Original post by whoskaavya
oh no, anythign you want to share/get off your chest?
with homework im the smae - i swear its been a huge jump from yr 8 to yr 9.

we go to the same school.. I think it will be the same haha.. but yeah the jump in homework is way higher than I thought it would be! I guess it’s just preparing us for gcse.
Original post by Alm_xo
ooh that seems bad...luckily my school doesn't give out much homework

that’s pretty lucky but atleast the homework isn’t useless, I mean it is just helping us consolidate knowledge you know
Original post by mohamednawaj
Well I finished Year 9 in July. The workload compared to GCSE is much less so I guess appreciate it. You may see that the sets are becoming more competitive in Year 9. There's seven sets in my school. Anyway, good luck to the new year and chosing your GCSE subjects. If you're wondering, well I picked Geography, History, Computer Science, Spanish and Triple Science.

seven sets?? we have three maths sets but the bottom 2 are still mixed, I think.
we go to the same school.. I think it will be the same haha.. but yeah the jump in homework is way higher than I thought it would be! I guess it’s just preparing us for gcse.

oh yes ofc but I swear yr10 will be worae

Quick Reply

Latest