The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
Who are you to say what is "respectable" ? Vocational courses are the least respectable of all. You may as well be a plumber.

Eh? Vocational degrees like medicine, engineering, pharmacy etc. are highly respected...
Reply 41
Original post by Bill_Gates
Guess thats one way to look at it.

God dam those philosophy students and their evil plans.

Even when the policy came out, im sure the govt said it would cost the govt more in the short term but in long term it would bring in more revenue

Im in no doubt the tution fee rise was idealogical. Much like the bedroom tax,Pensions Reform its not about saving money but creating a different type of society .
Original post by Smack
Eh? Vocational degrees like medicine, engineering, pharmacy etc. are highly respected...

Not necessarily. Academic subjects are far better ( Medicine excepted).
What do you expect when you see people wasting a few years and money studying English or History or another useless subject.
Reply 44
Original post by SilverAlex
You can thank Labour for this. 50% of people now go to on to study a degree, 49% of those degrees being useless.
They tricked young people into studying for a worthless degree in the university of nowhere for a job that doesn't exist, when they could otherwise be doing something useful with their lives. This, alongside the steady tide of immigration means that jobs are scarce and there is a cost of living crisis, of course 45% of people can't afford to pay it back!

Sorry but chances are you will be.

You can't really trick someone into doing a degree. Before someone does a degree, it's likely that they would have considered all of their options already. Some people do useless degrees because they want to experience uni and etc, but it's their own conscious choice to do that degree.

And what is doing something useful with their lives? Working on a zero hours contract at Mcdonalds? Just like how the tories wants the unemployed to make a living.

With increasing immigration, a degree would be an even more important asset if you wanted a high paying job. A lot of immigrants who are quite well qualified come over here.
Not necessarily. Academic subjects are far better ( Medicine excepted).

Better for what?
Reply 46
Original post by Rakas21
True but then TSR contains people who consider a part time job at uni to be for plebs, no doubt these people are wondering what happened to the workhouses.

Haha agreed. However i wouldn't say you wont earn over 21k but the nature of the job market is there is no job for life. Earning a high substantial income over a long period of time is extremely rare, for any sector right now.
Reply 47
Original post by Smack

Would not say pharmacy is highly respected any more alongside optometry.
Would not say pharmacy is highly respected any more alongside optometry.

Unfortunately many people entering Investment Banking and the fast track at the Foreign Office and Treasury and similar jobs have degrees in Classics, Ancient History and the like. Pharmacists earn a good living for sure. But it is a vocational qualification. Many people - particularly some sections of the community - do not understand the difference between education and qualifications.
Reply 49
Unfortunately many people entering Investment Banking and the fast track at the Foreign Office and Treasury and similar jobs have degrees in Classics, Ancient History and the like. Pharmacists earn a good living for sure. But it is a vocational qualification. Many people - particularly some sections of the community - do not understand the difference between education and qualifications.

But the majority entering those jobs have degrees in economics, accounting, business.
But the majority entering those jobs have degrees in economics, accounting, business.

I think you might be very surprised who has what.

PS: Business is a good example. It is a degree for vocationalists headed for minor backroom jobs in third rate companies. What the heck is "business" ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
I lived best under labour. So I think I know who I'll be voting. Eventhough Ed Miliband is a complete peanut. lol
Reply 52
At 9k per year i would only go to a top 20 uni with a solid career path.

What would you consider top 20?
Reply 53
I think you might be very surprised who has what.

PS: Business is a good example. It is a degree for vocationalists headed for minor backroom jobs in third rate companies. What the heck is "business" ?

lol i know MANY people who work in those jobs and the majority have business, economics and accounting. FACT. You really think history is going to take precedence? no thanks im not that gullible and i hope anyone who comes across this site does not believe your post whatsoever.
lol i know MANY people who work in those jobs and the majority have business, economics and accounting. FACT. You really think history is going to take precedence? no thanks im not that gullible and i hope anyone who comes across this site does not believe your post whatsoever.

You may not have had many educational advantages. Hence your conceptual framework is understandable.
Reply 55
You may not have had many educational advantages. Hence your conceptual framework is understandable.

Making assumptions when i gave you raw facts that ANCIENT HISTORY AND CLASSICS does not make up the majority of IB grads. Unemployed grads maybe so or fourth rate businesses i.e tiny weeny SME's who feel sorry for them and give them a job in the "stock room".
Original post by Oschene23

People doing widely considered 'soft subjects' may still have better job prospects. E.g It would be better doing Fine Art at Oxford than a Law/Maths/Science course at a low ranking university.

It really isn't. The ex polytechnics can have better ties with industry so doing a science/engineering course at one is no where near useless.
Making assumptions when i gave you raw facts that ANCIENT HISTORY AND CLASSICS does not make up the majority of IB grads. Unemployed grads maybe so or fourth rate businesses i.e tiny weeny SME's who feel sorry for them and give them a job in the "stock room".

FACT ? You sound like that guy in The Office lol.
Just be thankful it's £21k and not £15k like some of us, means you'll actually be in a decent job paying it off, whereas under the old system you could be stacking shelves or working in McDonald's and still have to pay it off.

I personally have a good graduate job, though I know plenty who haven't, working in menial jobs wondering what the point of it all was.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Just be thankful it's £21k and not £15k like some of us, means you'll actually be in a decent job paying it off, whereas under the old system you could be stacking shelves or working in McDonald's and still have to pay it off.

I personally have a good graduate job, though I know plenty who haven't, working in menial jobs wondering what the point of it all was.

With the old system you don't have interest in real terms. Over 30 years a 5% real interest rate increases the amount owed to over 4x the original sum. Many of the people whose loans are written off after 30 years will have repaid considerably more than the principal of the loan.

Latest

Trending

Trending