The Student Room Group

can I get more fee support for postgraduate loan?

Hello,

I got an masters loan from Student finance in October 2023. Unfortunately in November 2023 I had been put under section 2 mental health act due to my ilness. My studies has been postponed and due to my health I was not being able to continue my studies. In January 2024 when I was already in hospital, my second payment from sfe has arrived, at that moment I was unaware of my decisions, my mental health was very bad and I was not aware that those money were from student finance and I had spend that 2nd payment amount. SFE has postponed the 3rd payment. I am very worried about this becouse I do not know how can I repay that amount from 2nd payment, and when I will be asked to repay it. Additionally I have an hope to go back to University to do my masters, but I am not sure I still will be egible for additional help with tution fee. I will appreciate any advice.
Hi there,

Have you received an overpayment letter from us to ask for the money back? When you plan to return to study will you be starting the course where you left off or would you need to start again from the start of the course? Would it be a new course?

Thanks, Drew
Hello,

No I did not received overpayment letter. I am planning to go back either this October or next year. It would be the same course. I have only attended around one month so I would had to start over from beginning. I am just really worried about that second payment as I was unaware of what I was doing when i was in hospital, and I am not sure how will that work now with repayment.
Original post by username6779482
Hello,
No I did not received overpayment letter. I am planning to go back either this October or next year. It would be the same course. I have only attended around one month so I would had to start over from beginning. I am just really worried about that second payment as I was unaware of what I was doing when i was in hospital, and I am not sure how will that work now with repayment.

Hi there,

If a student fails to complete their previous course they may be eligible to receive a second PG Master's Loan, to begin a full new master's course, if they were unable to complete due to Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). We will require evidence of their CPR and a new paper PGM application form. Once received, the team will review and confirm if this has been accepted or not to award finance.

Thanks,
Claire
Hello,

Thank you. I just wanted to ask what will happen with those money that I had spended when I was in hospital(it was 2nd payment) It was sent to me when I was already in hospital and I was unaware mentally of what I am doing. Will I be paying that back the same as if I would graduate the course?After I start earn certain amount? I had 3 payment plan now stopped. I wanted to ask as well if I did not recieve 3rd payment will I have to still pay for that as well ?
If you received an overpayment letter you would need to contact the number on the letter to discuss this further. If you don't have overpayment then this would be added to your balance to repay once in repayment and earning over threshold. You can find more details on repayment here https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan

Thanks,
Claire
Thank you. Will that mean as well that becouse the 3rd payment has been stoped and not paid to me, I wouldnt have to give it back that 3rd payment?
Original post by username6779482
Thank you. Will that mean as well that becouse the 3rd payment has been stoped and not paid to me, I wouldnt have to give it back that 3rd payment?

If you didn't receive the 3rd payment then you wouldn't repay this.

Thanks,
Claire
Thank you very much
Hi there,

You're welcome. I hope you have a nice day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending