The Student Room Group

university drop out

how much money will I owe if I drop out of University 1st year term one, I can't even get a part time job now, how on earth would I pay back 27k at the end...my life is a complete failure honestly. never had work experience (I'm 18+) no job wants someone like me who's just untalented and a failure in all fields. can't do sports or anything, cant even make friends at university i just feel like a total loner. should've thought about this beforehand...didnt have friends in sixth form what made me stupidly think uni life would be any better
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
how much money will I owe if I drop out of University 1st year term one, I can't even get a part time job now, how on earth would I pay back 27k at the end...my life is a complete failure honestly. never had work experience (I'm 18+) no job wants someone like me who's just untalented and a failure in all fields. can't do sports or anything, cant even make friends at university i just feel like a total loner. should've thought about this beforehand...didnt have friends in sixth form what made me stupidly think uni life would be any better

have you already paid?
Original post by Anonymous

Assuming you are a UK student who had SFE loans, you only make repayments when earning over the threshold, and depending when you took out the loan they are either written off 30 years after you took them out or when you reach retirement age (whichever comes first) or 40 years after you took them out. If you don't earn over the threshold you won't make repayments and eventually it will get written off. You can read more about them here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/8-things-you-should-know-about-your-student-loan--2

However in the shorter term you may need to repay some or all of your most recent maintenance loan disbursement immediately, although SFE are amenable to arranging payment plans if needed. As they will consider any amount over the amount you would have been expected to have used at this point as "overpayment" rather than a payment you then need to repay in the usual way. So if you're halfway through the term and withdraw, you would have to pay back half of the maintenance loan disbursement you received at the beginning of the term.

As regards the rest of the matters here, I would suggest before doing something significant like withdrawing from your course that you speak with your GP and personal tutor at uni about what you are feeling as described here. If you're in first year, it's very early in the course for most unis, and there is plenty of time to both improve any academic issues that you may be facing (if that is a factor), look for part-time work (your uni's careers service can help with this as well as graduate job career advice), and making friends.

I would guess this is a result of feeling overwhelmed at being in a new environment academically and socially and it's important to recognise that a) most people are feeling that, even if they can both hide and manage it better and b) that's not necessarily a permanent issue even if you remain in uni. However no matter what, there are support services available to you that you should reach out to - and your GP and personal tutor are usually the first port of call for such things.

Also honestly even if withdrawing is your plan, you are probably best off waiting until the end of this term so as per the above, you don't need to make any immediate repayments for overpayments of maintenance loans, unless you are before your university's fee liability date - in which case withdrawing sooner can mean that SFE won't pay any tuition fee loans for this year.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending