The Student Room Group

I am having a serious mid-uni crisis just before I start my final year

----
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't mean to be harsh, but AAB, whilst good grades, wouldn't have been enough for a very top university 3 years ago. I have fairly similar grades and applied at the same time (plus a poor Maths A-level) and this wouldn't have been enough for a top 10 university. Most of them wanted A*AA for top courses or AAA if you finished your A-levels before the A* was brought in.

I don't think it's pointless finishing your degree, unless you can fund another one yourself or possibly arrange a transfer into second year at another university. You're only entitled to full support for the length of your course + 1 year, so if you wanted to do a degree in a different subject, you would have to self fund one year. As fees have gone up, this would be very expensive. If you were to transfer into second year, you would have to do a very similar course, and it may be difficult to arrange a transfer if you are still abroad.

More info on transfering here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

Whether you are able to get a good job will depend on a lot more than where you did your degree. A lot of graduate employers want experience (both in a relevant field and of work in general) and whilst they are interested in your degree (especially the grade you get), there are very few professions where the university you went is a major consideration. Business degrees are applicable to lots of jobs, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Also, Aston is fairly well regarded for business, even if it's not a generally well known name.

I think the best thing to do if you generally enjoyed your first two years would be to go back, finish the year. Aim to get a 2.1 to keep all doors open. Whilst doing this, you can consider your options and start applying to jobs- you'll soon find out if you're employable or not!

Alternatively, if you disliked your degree for other reasons then it may be worth looking into starting a new degree, and how you might try to fund this. You'd probably have to wait until autumn before applying, as most courses will be full for year one entry now. You might also want to look into transfering, but there's no point having to do another year of a course you hate just because you think you'd like to go to a slightly better uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending