The Student Room Group

Is it common for people beyond mid-twenties not to have ever dated?

Do you believe there is a social stigma associated with this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about dating, but I reckon it’s pretty common not to have found ‘the one’ by mid 20s. Dating is a tough world. Stigma is also a factor of whether you are positively or negatively single
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
Not sure about dating, but I reckon it’s pretty common not to have found ‘the one’ by mid 20s. Dating is a tough world. Stigma is also a factor of whether you are positively or negatively single

I agree. You are right.
More common than commonly thought I'd say.
Reply 4
I’d suspect a relatively small minority have never dated after their mid 20s.

As for stigma? Who cares. If you want to date, it is more important to focus on what you can do to change your circumstances than fixate on perceived stigma.
(edited 2 months ago)
I don't know if its common or not, but I'm 29 and my first boyfriend was when I was 26 years old.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2
I don't know if its common or not, but I'm 29 and my first boyfriend was when I was 26 years old.

Interesting to hear that.
Had my first serious relationship at 18 lasted 2 years then found my current partner at 24 and 4 years later still going strong. She's 2 years older than me too.

I don't believe in dating apps I am a best friend turned lover sort of guy. But when love strikes you, you'll know. Nothing wrong being a late bloomer so long as both of you are happy.

Forget the stigma associated with being single for a while or even a virgin it's all rubbish just focus on you and let love find you and run its course :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous928384
Had my first serious relationship at 18 lasted 2 years then found my current partner at 24 and 4 years later still going strong. She's 2 years older than me too.

I don't believe in dating apps I am a best friend turned lover sort of guy. But when love strikes you, you'll know. Nothing wrong being a late bloomer so long as both of you are happy.

Forget the stigma associated with being single for a while or even a virgin it's all rubbish just focus on you and let love find you and run its course :smile:

You are right. I totally agree with you.
Common? No

Is it a decent number of people (like 5%)? Yes
Reply 10
Original post by Little pecker
Common? No

Is it a decent number of people (like 5%)? Yes

Is it really that of a small minority
Original post by Anonymous #1

Yes. By early-mid 20s almost everyone has at least some dating experience. Those of us who haven't are in a tiny minority.
Reply 12

How did you manage it exactly? I mean it's really hard .
Original post by DO253467
How did you manage it exactly? I mean it's really hard .

My personality is quite introverted and I tended to spend alot of time on my work so even when I was at college and uni, I didn't actually feel like getting into a relationship. There were a few guys who wanted to date and get to know me but I just only wanted them as acquaintances, not to know them personally but just to talk about study or coursework.

Then when I finished uni, I started working and then did a few projects to start my own side business which kept me quite busy and I never even thought about wanting to be in a relationship even at 24 years old. At 25, I started to rent a place and there was this one guy who was my flatmate and because I was always working all the time, he often talked to me and I got to know him and we connected on an emotional level and after one year, we started dating. We live in different cities now but we still try to meet once a week.

I think it depends on the person. For me, I'd only ever date someone if we connect emotional and we have similar perspectives. I feel its a waste of time if we just date because we like them physically or we 'think' they could be the one. If we do like that, we'll just end up hurting ourselves and the other person and develop issues which might affect future relationships.
Reply 14
My personality is quite introverted and I tended to spend alot of time on my work so even when I was at college and uni, I didn't actually feel like getting into a relationship. There were a few guys who wanted to date and get to know me but I just only wanted them as acquaintances, not to know them personally but just to talk about study or coursework.

Then when I finished uni, I started working and then did a few projects to start my own side business which kept me quite busy and I never even thought about wanting to be in a relationship even at 24 years old. At 25, I started to rent a place and there was this one guy who was my flatmate and because I was always working all the time, he often talked to me and I got to know him and we connected on an emotional level and after one year, we started dating. We live in different cities now but we still try to meet once a week.

I think it depends on the person. For me, I'd only ever date someone if we connect emotional and we have similar perspectives. I feel its a waste of time if we just date because we like them physically or we 'think' they could be the one. If we do like that, we'll just end up hurting ourselves and the other person and develop issues which might affect future relationships.

Lucky you. How I wish I could have at least one of such encounters.

That’s a lot, you are talking about dating here. Not having a girlfriend.
Do you believe there is a social stigma associated with this?

Yes, it is more common nowadays because there seems to be the view that people should first have ‘fun’ before taking things seriously. As a result, you see more ONS and casual lays with some lads sadly competing for the highest lay count.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, it is more common nowadays because there seems to be the view that people should first have ‘fun’ before taking things seriously. As a result, you see more ONS and casual lays with some lads sadly competing for the highest lay count.

A by-product of "sex liberation"
A by-product of "sex liberation"

Yes. Some of the consequences yet to be fully known.
yeah for many years now, i've long heard that 25 is the magic age number for when it is no longer socially acceptable to either still be a virgin or to have never dated, never had a relationship before, if it doesn't happen in your teenage years, then its at least expected to have occured by the beginning of your 20s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending