The Student Room Group

Need salary of £36,000 to take home more than benefits cap

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SecretDuck
Maybe they did have a job - but it was just shocking that they could afford all that stuff while my mother has a full time job and struggles to buy me a video game once a year, if I'm lucky.

I'm sure that's an artificial restriction. My parents are pretty well off but we never had fancy holidays and I certainly didn't have presents bought except birthday/Christmas. People plough a lot into their mortgage and pensions but that is an investment choice, in both cases they have a reasonable expectation of getting the money back with considerable interest at the end and/or of passing it on to their children.

However those on a small income have little hope of ever owning a house and when you only have a few hundred quid left over each year it's pretty pointless saving it, you might as well spend it now and enjoy your life a bit. This is why when hopefully we move away from conditional benefits and towards a universal basic income we recognise that giving people subsistence plus a small extra ploughs all that money straight into the economy. This is in contrast to quantitative easing which is hoarded by banks and could otherwise have been used to hand every man, woman and child in the country £11,000 per year over the past five years.

I can assure you that people on benefits are always better off if they get a job, though the tax credit regime badly needs to be expanded to those on part-time or unstable-hours contracts. The only people who seem to make much of a livable income from benefits are significantly disabled people/carer households, and they insist on raising barriers to getting disability benefit despite the fact that it is only a very small proportion of benefit spending. I would begrudge these groups little and also their lives cost more, just to go to town and back they may pay the equivalent of five trips on the bus or more and that's without getting into the area of all the disability support equipment and the interminable hospital appointments.

The highest proportion of benefit spending (leaving aside pensions) is housing benefit, and that goes directly into the landlord's pockets (and doesn't cover the whole of the rent unless you want to live somewhere with mould all up the walls exposed wires and no appliances). Therefore the best way to reduce benefit spending is to cease this pathetic, extractive obsession with selling each other the same houses over and over again at ever-increasing profit and build an economy that actually revolves around producing something useful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JC.
My other half worked for Vauxhall. As part of her job she "sold" motab cars... basically disabled people can trade in their higher rate disability allowance for a free car / insurance / tax / servicing with up to 5 people named on the insurance.

One tab car was given to a woman who managed to blag her way on to higher rate disability because she had a "speech impediment".

Disgusting isn't it?

How bad was the speech impediment? She would have to have had some pretty marked disability to qualify for DLA or PIP, especially in the current climate. Unless of course she is a war veteran/pensioner.
Reply 82
Original post by InnerTemple
I find it hard to believe this actually happened.

Motability cars are available only to those who have been assessed as having a higher rate mobility entitlement.

This means that they either cannot walk, virtually cannot walk, have no feet or legs, are both deaf and blind. Basically they can't mobilise.

A person would not be entitled to this rate of entitlement if they just had a speech impediment. There are people with actual mobility issues who struggled to, or were refused, placement on the higher rate entitlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bet your the sort of person that believes that there's only 1% claiming fraudulently too!
Reply 83
Original post by Fullofsurprises
How bad was the speech impediment? She would have to have had some pretty marked disability to qualify for DLA or PIP, especially in the current climate. Unless of course she is a war veteran/pensioner.

Not that bad.

The benefits system is FULL of scroungers trying it on.
Original post by scrotgrot
I'm sure that's an artificial restriction. My parents are pretty well off but we never had fancy holidays and I certainly didn't have presents bought except birthday/Christmas. People plough a lot into their mortgage and pensions but that is an investment choice, in both cases they have a reasonable expectation of getting the money back with considerable interest at the end and/or of passing it on to their children.

However those on a small income have little hope of ever owning a house and when you only have a few hundred quid left over each year it's pretty pointless saving it, you might as well spend it now and enjoy your life a bit. This is why when hopefully we move away from conditional benefits and towards a universal basic income we recognise that giving people subsistence plus a small extra ploughs all that money straight into the economy. This is in contrast to quantitative easing which is hoarded by banks and could otherwise have been used to hand every man, woman and child in the country £11,000 per year over the past five years.

I can assure you that people on benefits are always better off if they get a job, though the tax credit regime badly needs to be expanded to those on part-time or unstable-hours contracts. The only people who seem to make much of a livable income from benefits are significantly disabled people/carer households, and they insist on raising barriers to getting disability benefit despite the fact that it is only a very small proportion of benefit spending. I would begrudge these groups little and also their lives cost more, just to go to town and back they may pay the equivalent of five trips on the bus or more and that's without getting into the area of all the disability support equipment and the interminable hospital appointments.

The highest proportion of benefit spending (leaving aside pensions) is housing benefit, and that goes directly into the landlord's pockets (and doesn't cover the whole of the rent unless you want to live somewhere with mould all up the walls exposed wires and no appliances). Therefore the best way to reduce benefit spending is to cease this pathetic, extractive obsession with selling each other the same houses over and over again at ever-increasing profit and build an economy that actually revolves around producing something useful.

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying - my mother is saving up for a mortgage while my classmates spent that money on their gadgets. :smile:

In terms of housing benefit not covering the full rent unless it's ****ty, not exactly true. I live in a decent two bedroom apartment with my mother, in a decent and safe area with appliances (and the rent is fully covered by the benefit). The only sting in the tail? You have to take a bus 5-10 minutes just to get to the closest station. And a similar priced apartment downstairs has been left vacant for years. But yet we have complaints of everything in London being too expensive.

Not necessarily true but I think there may be information asymmetry in the property rental market.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Ana81
Bull**** I was on benefits and got £200 a month.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That alone doesn't mean it's "bull****". Do you have children? Do you live in a high LHA area? Are you over 25? A disability? If not then this is why you receive little in benefits.
Original post by JC.
Not that bad.

The benefits system is FULL of scroungers trying it on.

Do I detect what is commonly referred to as a 'fib'?

Or perhaps OP is just prone to exaggeration. :holmes:
Original post by JC.
I bet your the sort of person that believes that there's only 1% claiming fraudulently too!

Something tells me you're the sort of person who makes up wildly improbable stories to try and prove right-wing knee jerk points on public web forums.
Reply 88

In terms of housing benefit not covering the full rent unless it's ****ty, not exactly true. I live in a decent two bedroom apartment with my mother, in a decent and safe area with appliances (and the rent is fully covered by the benefit). The only sting in the tail? You have to take a bus 5-10 minutes just to get to the closest station. And a similar priced apartment downstairs has been left vacant for years. But yet we have complaints of everything in London being too expensive.

For a single person under 35 years of age, living alone, it may well be the case though. A person under 35 is only entitled to the shared accommodation rate. If they don't (or can't) share with others they'll struggle to find a place that is covered by housing benefit. There's such a shortage of one bedroom properties and the housing benefit wouldn't cover many larger properties.
Original post by River85
For a single person under 35 years of age, living alone, it may well be the case though. A person under 35 is only entitled to the shared accommodation rate. If they don't (or can't) share with others they'll struggle to find a place that is covered by housing benefit. There's such a shortage of one bedroom properties and the housing benefit wouldn't cover many larger properties.

I'm under 35 and live with my mother. I'm a student and don't have a job yet. I figured that single people would want to room/flat-share with someone else (that's what I would do) but maybe it's easier said than done.
Reply 90
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Something tells me you're the sort of person who makes up wildly improbable stories to try and prove right-wing knee jerk points on public web forums.

If you say so pal. :rolleyes:
Reply 91
I'm under 35 and live with my mother.

Yes, but that's the point. You're living with your mother rather than alone (and, as you're a student, I'm assuming you're not in receipt of Housing Benefit yourself)?

I'm a student and don't have a job yet. I figured that single people would want to room/flat-share with someone else (that's what I would do) but maybe it's easier said than done.

I'd say a good many, especially those in their mid and late 20s, don't want to share. House sharing can start to grate once you're approaching 30. Some people with health conditions may also need to live alone. But even those in shared accommodation may not have their entire rent covered. When a student, if reliant on housing benefit, I wouldn't have been able to have my rent (for one room) entirely covered by rent in most shard properties in my (outside a couple of areas).

In my final year I did take on a two bedroom house. This was the best I could get and it still had a terrible damp problem, was small, desperate need of a new kitchen and bathroom, and just generally uncosy and cold. If I was entitled to two bedroom rate I could have had almost all the rent paid. As I was only entitled to Shared Accommodation rate I only had two thirds of the rent paid by HB.
Original post by River85
Yes, but that's the point. You're living with your mother rather than alone (and, as you're a student, I'm assuming you're not in receipt of Housing Benefit yourself)?

I'd say a good many, especially those in their mid and late 20s, don't want to share. House sharing can start to grate once you're approaching 30. Some people with health conditions may also need to live alone. But even those in shared accommodation may not have their entire rent covered. When a student, if reliant on housing benefit, I wouldn't have been able to have my rent (for one room) entirely covered by rent in most shard properties in my (outside a couple of areas).

In my final year I did take on a two bedroom house. This was the best I could get and it still had a terrible damp problem, was small, desperate need of a new kitchen and bathroom, and just generally uncosy and cold. If I was entitled to two bedroom rate I could have had almost all the rent paid. As I was only entitled to Shared Accommodation rate I only had two thirds of the rent paid by HB.

I'm not in receipt of HB but does it count if one is a student and one is working but earning way below the threshold?

HB pays the rent fully for the both of us because its rent is much lower than the average in London. It's not exactly close to a station but a short bus ride away. It's Zone 4 and I've seen rents in Zone 6 properties average £500 more. Only I have to commute to uni but that's fine for me.

There's just so much disparity in terms of rental prices in London. Maybe it's due to information asymmetry, I don't know.
Reply 93
Original post by lillith
Did you read the post? she already had 6 kids before she made the brave decision to leave her abusive husband and was forced to claim benefit.

Yes I did read that......

1) Did the abuse only just start after the sixth child? I doubt it

2) Did she really need 6 kids? Doubt she gave a crap because she knew our generous benefit system would sort her out.
Original post by JC.

I'm the sort of person who spends a not insignificant amount of time in the Social Security Appeals Tribunal and who has learned a lot about welfare regulations.

I'm also the sort of person who is minded to agree with the official stats over what I read in the Mail or hear down the pub.

Anyway, I am sure whoever told you this story will have reported the matter to the relevant officials. So all's well, eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InnerTemple

Anyway, I am sure whoever told you this story will have reported the matter to the relevant officials. So all's well, eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fairy tales have to be reported to the pixie police.
Original post by River85

Out of interest do you know how they calculate the average cost of property in your local area? The housing benefit rate in my area (for 2 bed properties) is much lower than almost any available properties, and the ones that do come up are complete dives. They say that it is the average that properties have become available for rent at in the 6months (I think) but do they include social housing in this? Social housing in my area is circa 50% of private rent.
Reply 97
Original post by Georgie_M
Out of interest do you know how they calculate the average cost of property in your local area? The housing benefit rate in my area (for 2 bed properties) is much lower than almost any available properties, and the ones that do come up are complete dives. They say that it is the average that properties have become available for rent at in the 6months (I think) but do they include social housing in this? Social housing in my area is circa 50% of private rent.

Local Housing Allowance will be based on rents in the private sector only, as it's a way of calculating housing benefit for private tennants only. Housing Benefit for social tennants is calculated differently.

Apart from that I can't really offer much more. I'm not an expert.
Original post by billydisco
If she was stupid enough to have six kids I would question how smart she is to be a mother. Personally I would have social services intervene. Talking of this- I think I heard something last week about some sort of new law which changes "child abuse" to take in to account a parent's inability to provide for their children.

Put it this way- I do not think throwing money at people making mistakes is the solution because otherwise what is the deterrent? Have you heard of the term "moral hazard"? It means that if people make a mistake and they are bailed out- they go and do that mistake again and again because they were never held accountable. The last Labour Government effectively removed responsibility from the underclass in this country with the stupid benefits culture which made them all think they were owed a 4-bedroomed house whilst not working.

I fundamentally disagree that reducing benefits (while simultaneously slashing funding in every area which promotes social equality) is the best thing for society, the economy or the individual. I am all for people working (that's the good things about social equality) however we still had an underclass before the benefits system. Some of the countries with the most generous benefits systems in the world have the lowest unemployment, and vice versa.

I know I will never change your mind, just as you won't change mine. But can you see that social inequalities are detrimental in a variety of ways? (Except for the extremely wealthy).
Original post by River85
Local Housing Allowance will be based on rents in the private sector only, as it's a way of calculating housing benefit for private tennants only. Housing Benefit for social tennants is calculated differently.

Apart from that I can't really offer much more. I'm not an expert.

Haha I know sorry! It is just something I have always been curious about because in my area at least it is most definitely not the average.

Also housing benefit is calculated the same for those privately renting as it is for those in social housing. Social housing charge less rent and so less housing benefit is needed. Similarly if you are in privately rented accommodation but paying less rent than the allocated amount you get less housing benefit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending