The Student Room Group

Which STEM careers actually make decent money?

I'm currently a year 13 student about to start an undergrad, I've never been too sure what degree I wanted to do but I ended up settling on EEE and have got offers from Russel group universities, but the more I look the more it seems like engineers make horrible money for the amount of work that goes into the degree I have the opportunity now to change courses before I start but by the looks of it any career that involves technical mathematical stem skills doesn't pay well which is crazy. At this point im considering just studying physics and maths as i enjoy those subjects and maybe going into finance after although personally I think ill enjoy those jobs but it seems like the only place where technical minds are appreciated in this country.
they make horrible money... but only in the uk lol. go look at the same job in America and i guarantee u it will be 6 figures. this country is just finished tbh.
Original post by Fallenfoxy25
I'm currently a year 13 student about to start an undergrad, I've never been too sure what degree I wanted to do but I ended up settling on EEE and have got offers from Russel group universities, but the more I look the more it seems like engineers make horrible money for the amount of work that goes into the degree I have the opportunity now to change courses before I start but by the looks of it any career that involves technical mathematical stem skills doesn't pay well which is crazy. At this point im considering just studying physics and maths as i enjoy those subjects and maybe going into finance after although personally I think ill enjoy those jobs but it seems like the only place where technical minds are appreciated in this country.
Research has found STEM and non STEM graduates have equivalent earnings outcomes within 10 years of graduating.

The highest paying careers any graduate can theoretically go into - investment banking/management consulting. However there are many other factors to consider than just take home pay. For example, work life balance, benefits, pension schemes etc. This is one reason the civil service fast stream is a popular and competitive career goal, as it has excellent benefits, good work life balance usually I gather, and a very good pension scheme. Also some people would rather accept a lower salary to do something they really love doing - the so called "passion tax" exists in a lot of areas (e.g. zoo staff, people working in the museums/heritage sector, etc).

I think you probably need to think a bit more about what is important to you, and think from that angle. Ultimately outside of a couple of very expensive cities (London, Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford) you can live very comfortably on e.g. an engineer salary (which is not low by any accounts - if you think that is low then there is also an argument you need to manage your expectations around dairies anyway). Also given that graduates average to a similar salary in the long run regardless if subject studied, you may also want to consider if you are looking at the degrees you are considering for reasons of intellectual interest or just hypothetical salary outcomes- if only the latter I would suggest picking something you actually enjoy so you aren't disappointed when you graduate and most likely end up in a similar role and salary as someone who did a degree you would have enjoyed more.
Reply 3
Original post by Fallenfoxy25

Yes engineers are pretty underpaid in this country, but don't worry as you're not locked into being an engineer if you do an engineering degree - ppl I know have gone into management consulting and software after graduating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending