The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Should I firm surrey even though I got offers from Leeds and Manchester?

I got offers from all 3 universities for law, I was planning on putting Surrey as my insurance choice as the conditions were much lower than my top choices but still a good uni, however, I just got a really good scholarship offer from surrey yesterday and they told me its only applicable if I firm surrey. The scholarship is worth 5000 pounds and as an international student, this will really help me, but is it worth missing out on studying at a Russell group like Leeds or Manchester?
Russell groups are great universities but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are always better than other universities! https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/law
Here is a link to the complete university guide law ranking 2023. It shows different aspects such as graduate prospects and student satisfaction that you might want to consider when making your decision. I hope this helps, and good luck!

- Emily
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by joudsweilem
I got offers from all 3 universities for law, I was planning on putting Surrey as my insurance choice as the conditions were much lower than my top choices but still a good uni, however, I just got a really good scholarship offer from surrey yesterday and they told me its only applicable if I firm surrey. The scholarship is worth 5000 pounds and as an international student, this will really help me, but is it worth missing out on studying at a Russell group like Leeds or Manchester?

Ignore the Russell Group thing. It's a red herring.

I just took at look at Law at each of those universities on The Uni Guide, which include details from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset. I was expecting it to show me that Law graduates from Surrey earned less, and I was going to point out that the £5000 scholarship would be offset by that lower income. However, it shows the opposite. :smile:

Under the "What are graduates doing after six months?" we see that Law graduate from Manchester have an average salary of £18,000, from Leeds have an average salary of £19,000, and from Surrey have an average salary of £21,000. (This could obviously be down to regional variations, with students tending to work near where they studied, with salaries in the south of England being higher than the north.)

OK, so perhaps the Surrey graduates earn more to begin with, but don't in the medium term. Nope. Five years after graduating the median earnings of Law graduates from all three universities is £36,000.

But are they all actually working in Law - perhaps those from Russell Group universities are more likely to be legal professionals? Nope. 40% of Law graduates from Manchester are "Legal associate professionals", as are 29% from Leeds, and 41% from Leeds. The next largest percentage from each university are the 9% from both Manchester and Leeds who are "Sales, marketing and related associate professionals", and the 11% from Surrey who are "Legal professionals". So Surrey actually has 52% working in law in some capacity.

However, my favourite statistic is the percentage of final year students who agreed with the statement that "Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course". Manchester: 76%, Leeds 74%, Surrey: 91%.

There's lots of other interesting data. See The Uni Guide's data for Law at University of Manchester, University of Leeds and University of Surrey.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Ignore the Russell Group thing. It's a red herring.

I just took at look at Law at each of those universities on The Uni Guide, which include details from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset. I was expecting it to show me that Law graduates from Surrey earned less, and I was going to point out that the £5000 scholarship would be offset by that lower income. However, it shows the opposite. :smile:

Under the "What are graduates doing after six months?" we see that Law graduate from Manchester have an average salary of £18,000, from Leeds have an average salary of £19,000, and from Surrey have an average salary of £21,000. (This could obviously be down to regional variations, with students tending to work near where they studied, with salaries in the south of England being higher than the north.)

OK, so perhaps the Surrey graduates earn more to begin with, but don't in the medium term. Nope. Five years after graduating the median earnings of Law graduates from all three universities is £36,000.

But are they all actually working in Law - perhaps those from Russell Group universities are more likely to be legal professionals? Nope. 40% of Law graduates from Manchester are "Legal associate professionals", as are 29% from Leeds, and 41% from Leeds. The next largest percentage from each university are the 9% from both Manchester and Leeds who are "Sales, marketing and related associate professionals", and the 11% from Surrey who are "Legal professionals". So Surrey actually has 52% working in law in some capacity.

However, my favourite statistic is the percentage of final year students who agreed with the statement that "Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course". Manchester: 76%, Leeds 74%, Surrey: 91%.

There's lots of other interesting data. See The Uni Guide's data for Law at University of Manchester, University of Leeds and University of Surrey.

So would you go for surrey if you were in my position?
Original post by joudsweilem
So would you go for surrey if you were in my position?

I would. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending