The Student Room Group

Can an independent student have an LTD company and benefit from student financing?

Can an independent student have an LTD company and benefit from student financing?
I am an independent student and I intend to open an LTD business during my university year. I do not live with my parents and have a part-time job. I earn £21,450 a year. Could this affect my student funding? Or what do I do when my business starts making money? Should I leave my job and declare my business income to HMRC? And when you're talking about a business, you can earn a lot more than if you were an employee. What do you advise me to do? Thank you
Only unearned income of the student is counted towards the household income calculation.

For your own business that would be dividends from your ltd shares. If you pay yourself a salary (that’s subject to income tax and NI) then that’s earned income and treated the same as if you were working in tescos.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Only unearned income of the student is counted towards the household income calculation.

For your own business that would be dividends from your ltd shares. If you pay yourself a salary (that’s subject to income tax and NI) then that’s earned income and treated the same as if you were working in tescos.

So what do you advise me to do? Because I still don't understand you Sorry
Original post by Lolalito
I am an independent student and I intend to open an LTD business during my university year. I do not live with my parents and have a part-time job. I earn £21,450 a year. Could this affect my student funding? Or what do I do when my business starts making money? Should I leave my job and declare my business income to HMRC? And when you're talking about a business, you can earn a lot more than if you were an employee. What do you advise me to do? Thank you

Hi there,

How old are you? Are you a UK National? We do not take your own taxable income into consideration when calculating your entitlement. Thanks, Ross
Reply 4
I am a national EU, I am 25 years old and I am an independent student. Will I be able to benefit from SFE funding even if I have an LTD company?
I am a national EU, I am 25 years old and I am an independent student. Will I be able to benefit from SFE funding even if I have an LTD company?

Yes.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes.

I still have more question: what do I have to pay back to sfe? Tuitton fee or student loan? Can you also get a student loan if you are an independent student and have your own LTD business at the same time?
I still have more question: what do I have to pay back to sfe? Tuitton fee or student loan? Can you also get a student loan if you are an independent student and have your own LTD business at the same time?

You need to speak to an accountant about how you intend to pay yourself profits from the company. This will determine how much and whether the profits count towards your household income.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
You need to speak to an accountant about how you intend to pay yourself profits from the company. This will determine how much and whether the profits count towards your household income.

Ok
So what do you advise me to do? Because I still don't understand you Sorry

Hi Lolalito,

You would only need to declare income to us if you get paid dividends from your company. If you only pay yourself a salary we would not need to know how much you make.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 11
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Lolalito,

You would only need to declare income to us if you get paid dividends from your company. If you only pay yourself a salary we would not need to know how much you make.

Thanks, Drew

All right, got it
All right, got it

Hi Lolalito,

You're welcome. Hope you have a nice day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending