The Student Room Group

The best ever A Level Maths questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Had a quick peek, you were right, you do need a solid C1 and C2 knowledge to answer the questions.

Yes but even if you acquire all of the C1 and C2 knowledge, that doesn't mean you'll answer every question correctly. The questions require much 'fluid intelligence' and are much broader in scope, consisting of another layer of reasoning, than any standard A level exam. In order to do well on these tests, knowing your subject inside out is an already assumed prerequisite and instead examines your reasoning skills. You can scrape through standard A level exams by rote learning and doing many questions but here, you must already have an extra dimension to your thinking. In fact you could argue that these tests examine your assimilation of logic, from one step to the next, than simply focusing on obtaining the correct answer. They examine 'how you think' rather than 'can you think', and the University has to ensure if you are mentally capable to handle the rigour of the course.

If that makes sense! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gondur
Yes but even if you acquire all of the C1 and C2 knowledge, that doesn't mean you'll answer every question correctly. The questions require much 'fluid intelligence' and are much broader in scope, consisting of another layer of reasoning, than any standard A level exam. In order to do well on these tests, knowing your subject inside out is an already assumed prerequisite and instead examines your reasoning skills. You can scrape through standard A level exams by rote learning and doing many questions but here, you must already have an extra dimension to your thinking. In fact you could argue that these tests examine your assimilation of logic, from one step to the next, than simply focusing on obtaining the correct answer. They examine 'how you think' rather than 'can you think', and the University has to ensure if you are mentally capable to handle the rigour of the course.

If that makes sense! :smile:

Yeah wow, thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by Gondur
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Test2013.pdf

For example, Question A:

For what values of the real number aa does the quadratic equation

2x2+ax+a=12x^2 + ax + a = 1

have distinct real roots?

(a) a DOES NOT EQUAL 2; (b) a > 2; (c) a = 2; (d) all values of a.

My solution:

2x2+ax+a=12x^2 + ax + a = 1

2x2+ax+(a1)=02x^2+ax+(a-1)=0

b24ac>0b^2-4ac>0

a24(a1)>0a^2-4(a-1)>0

a24a+4>0a^2-4a+4>0

(a2)2>0(a-2)^2>0

This is their reasoning: For the quadratic to have distinct real roots this needs to be positive and so we need a DOES NOT EQUAL 2. The answer is (a)

You copied the question down wrong - there is no 2 in the first coefficient.
Reply 23
Original post by RichE
You copied the question down wrong - there is no 2 in the first coefficient.

How could it be his solution when he copied the question wrong and got the right answer O_O

Just saying xD

I sat this paper. You should take a look at the functions question - question two I think.

Now that was an absolute beast - I remember being completely and utterly floored by it :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Original post by Zenarthra
How could it be his solution when he copied the question wrong and got the right answer O_O

Just saying xD

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

(and the reason he's wrong is because he conveniently doesn't multiply the 2 into the discriminant, so he is essentially using the correct quadratic)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by alexmufc1995
I sat this paper. You should take a look at the functions question - question two I think.

Now that was an absolute beast - I remember being completely and utterly floored by it :rolleyes:

I'll second that!

I seem to remember 1J being tough as well
Original post by Ravenclawslikepi
I'll second that!

I seem to remember 1J being tough as well

Yep, for me I think that was a case of: "I've not ticked letter __ for a while, that seems like the right answer"! No A Level question has ever made me do that, I can safely say :redface:

Did you find out what score you got in the end? I emailed my college and they told me I got 55 :colondollar: Interviews must have gone well!
Yep, for me I think that was a case of: "I've not ticked letter __ for a while, that seems like the right answer"! No A Level question has ever made me do that, I can safely say :redface:

Did you find out what score you got in the end? I emailed my college and they told me I got 55 :colondollar: Interviews must have gone well!

I got 53, which I wasn't that disappointed with, considering that paper. On a scale of 0 to 9 my interviews were apparently a 7, which was enough, though.
Original post by Ravenclawslikepi
I got 53, which I wasn't that disappointed with, considering that paper. On a scale of 0 to 9 my interviews were apparently a 7, which was enough, though.

My interviews were 7 too actually. This wan't enough for St. John's though, as I was reallocated :smile:

How are you feeling about meeting the offer mathswise?
Reply 30
Original post by Indeterminate

Never knew that there were 6 Mechanics books.
Reply 31
Original post by GPODT
Never knew that there were 6 Mechanics books.

There used to be M1-M6 and S1-S6 :smile:
My interviews were 7 too actually. This wan't enough for St. John's though, as I was reallocated :smile:

How are you feeling about meeting the offer mathswise?

Same here re reallocation :smile:. I'm feeling alright about it atm: I know, ability-wise, that I can meet/exceed the offer so I just need to work to do so and avoid silly errors!
Reply 33
Original post by davros
There used to be M1-M6 and S1-S6 :smile:

Whoah. Must have been a real challenge to work through them all lol.
Reply 34
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Let's see if we can find a winner for peoples favourite ever A Level Maths Question (Ideally in more recent years).

Just put

Exam Board:
Year/Month:
Paper:
Question:
Reason:

(attach if possible)

I will start with one of my fav ones:

Exam Board: Edexcel
Year/Month: 2011 May
Paper: Core 2
Question: 5
Reason: Nice bit of circle theorem from year 10/11 sneaked in there.

See attached.

Exam Board: AQA
Year/month: May 2011
Paper: Mechanics 1
Question: 8
Reason: Some lovely algebra in there

Sorry, can't attach :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gondur

Spoiler

It's x2+ax+a=1x^2 + ax + a = 1. For that question, I knew that the discriminant couldn't equal zero.

b24ac=(a2)2b^2 - 4ac = (a-2)^2 means that (a2)2>0(a-2)^2 > 0 and (a2)2<0(a-2)^2 < 0.

For the first inequality, I found that a(, 2)(2,+)a \in \left( - \infty, \ 2 \right) \cup \left( 2, + \infty \right) or more succinctly put, a2a \neq 2.

The square of a real number, intuitively, is always greater than or equal to zero. As a result, the second inequality doesn't hold.

a2 \therefore \ a \neq 2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Year/Month: January 2009
Paper: Mechanics M1
Question: 7
Reason: Looks difficult, and proved to be one of the worst answered questions they've ever asked (This was on a Gold G5 Paper that Edexcel put together compiling the "hardest questions" based on student responses)
I personally loved this question as it looked difficult but is simple when you break it down, and at least there's no friction!

m1jan2009q7.gif
Reply 37
C4 Jan 2008, last question- most rubbish question eveeer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rjix
Year/Month: January 2009
Paper: Mechanics M1
Question: 7
Reason: Looks difficult, and proved to be one of the worst answered questions they've ever asked (This was on a Gold G5 Paper that Edexcel put together compiling the "hardest questions" based on student responses)
I personally loved this question as it looked difficult but is simple when you break it down, and at least there's no friction!

m1jan2009q7.gif

That's a standard question with WJEC M1 :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's a standard question with WJEC M1 :lol:

Oh?

Quick Reply

Latest