The Student Room Group

Advice on studying fm

hi currently its approaching summer and im in year 12 studying further maths and im not sure how to revise it, in my college we do the entire alevel course the first year (with a little fm) and do the rest fm topics next year, there isnt that many revision resources as compared to normal maths in my opinion and i always find myself lost in hard problems where i end up having no idea where to go from, i dont know how /what to revise during summer as i never really had to revise before please if you have any advice it would be appreciated
Reply 1
I'm using the websites Physicsandmathstutor and Savemyexams for some past paper questions. The absolute best website is Madasmaths thought! It has tons of questions for all topics! Also DrFrostMaths is good cause it has videos to explain how to do some questions as well as topic questions. My teacher told me that DrFrostMaths is good to start off with but don't only rely on it because it won't give you the harder questions that come up in the A-Levels. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
It really depends on what kind of issues you have right now. Have you talked with your teacher about it?

In terms of problem-solving skills, assuming you know your methods.

I often say people struggled with maths mostly because they don't read carefully. 99.99% of the time, the question will contain all and the only information you'll ever need to solve the problem. So if you happen to get stuck, see what information you haven't used, and usually there is breakthrough.

Also chunking (I think that's what's called) - i.e. identifying the mini problems within a problem, and solve them one by one. For instance, say you were asked to find the equation for a straight line. This problem can be further divvied up into two mini problems - (i) find the slope of the line; and (ii) locate one point lying on the line. Usually one is trickier than the other to find.

Also do note that knowing the maths and doing well in exams are two related, but wildly different ideas.
Reply 3
Original post by Shivi8
I'm using the websites Physicsandmathstutor and Savemyexams for some past paper questions. The absolute best website is Madasmaths thought! It has tons of questions for all topics! Also DrFrostMaths is good cause it has videos to explain how to do some questions as well as topic questions. My teacher told me that DrFrostMaths is good to start off with but don't only rely on it because it won't give you the harder questions that come up in the A-Levels. Hope this helps!

thanks!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by frzn
thanks!

No problem!

Quick Reply

Latest