The Student Room Group

Revision guide

So I'm in year 12 and was just wondering what book should I get to help support me with AQA A-level physics? I've heard the CGP books are good but I'm honestly not sure on which one to get (there's a student book and a complete revision + practice book) or if CGP is even the best option. What book would you guys recommend?
I've also heard that CGP are good. I would recommend the Collins student books.
Original post by marie277
So I'm in year 12 and was just wondering what book should I get to help support me with AQA A-level physics? I've heard the CGP books are good but I'm honestly not sure on which one to get (there's a student book and a complete revision + practice book) or if CGP is even the best option. What book would you guys recommend?

Hey, I'm a 5th year medical student and I've spent 20+ years revising now. I'd recommend you use active learning methods to revise as they help to increase productivity and reduce procrastination. You'll also remember the content better. These include flashcards, mind maps, practice questions, past papers and explaining to others like your friends or family. I would recommend you use flashcards to memorise content and practice questions and past papers under timed conditions (even if you get questions wrong that's okay, you'll learn more from your mistakes). Don't just read from a textbook. A textbook is great to read when you're trying to understand something (like the other person said CGP books are simple and good for this) or learn something brand new, but is a terrible way to revise or memorise content.

Also, whilst revising make sure to take breaks (have a look at the pomodoro technique) as this will increase your productivity and make your revising more efficient.

If you have any questions feel free to message me on the student room or dm me on instagram @studymed_eda (I have content on here about revising, study tips and motivation)
Reply 3
Original post by marie277

Hey
I’m also in year 12.

To purely learn content I found the GCP student text book helpful
You can get the big one with year 1(AS) &year 2 combined or them individually.

However I couldn’t use them to revise before a test ,like the revision guides where the content was condensed.
Hello , year 13 here . The oxford revise book for AQA is by FAR the best revision resource I have gotten so far. Iv'e had people ask me about it and its so useful to have it out in lessons, especially when learning new topics , as it simplifies everything for you without missing out anything you need to know. Best £20 I've ever spent , it's really really worth it . It has a knowledge section with all the notes , then another section with questions and answers to recap what you have leanrt and then 4-5 pages worth of exam questions for each topic that you can access the answers on their website. It also has notes for all the optional topics such as astro and medical etc AND has all of the practicals you need written up with their appropriate graphs at the back of the book.Definitely worth it !!!
Reply 5
Original post by dafghgwthqfasvfg
Hello , year 13 here . The oxford revise book for AQA is by FAR the best revision resource I have gotten so far. Iv'e had people ask me about it and its so useful to have it out in lessons, especially when learning new topics , as it simplifies everything for you without missing out anything you need to know. Best £20 I've ever spent , it's really really worth it . It has a knowledge section with all the notes , then another section with questions and answers to recap what you have leanrt and then 4-5 pages worth of exam questions for each topic that you can access the answers on their website. It also has notes for all the optional topics such as astro and medical etc AND has all of the practicals you need written up with their appropriate graphs at the back of the book.Definitely worth it !!!

How can I get it? I googled it, but didn't found it.Can you give me a website pls?
As a physics teacher studymed gives a great answer. CGP is good to have as a resource but I wouldn’t just use that. You will be assessed at the end of the course by a series of exam questions from your exam board. So one of the best things is practice their questions and learn their answers they want. Examiners comments are good to read in addition to going through the mark scheme.

As studymed points out just reading information is not as productive so will take many more hours to achieve the same result as active learning. The top end students in my A Level classes often sit in study groups and do work together, bouncing ideas of each other and explaining things to each other. One student last year scored 100% on all three papers. For three hours a week he tutored people in his physics class for free in the sixth form common room -so teaching others is great or explaining difficult concepts to friends or family.

In summary, the CGP guide is a useful supplement but that’s all it is. For example, maybe you’re doing a past paper question and you can’t recall some piece of theory then having that to hand is good.
Original post by toppleD
How can I get it? I googled it, but didn't found it.Can you give me a website pls?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Revise-Physics-Revision-Practice/dp/1382008600/
(or if you don't want to use amazon, just search 'Oxford Revise AQA A Level Physics' on a bookstore of your choice)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by yellowleaf23
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Revise-Physics-Revision-Practice/dp/1382008600/
(or if you don't want to use amazon, just search 'Oxford Revise AQA A Level Physics' on a bookstore of your choice)

Many thanks, but I found this series of books don't contain maths, so can you recommend some practice books about maths?
Original post by toppleD
Many thanks, but I found this series of books don't contain maths, so can you recommend some practice books about maths?

Are you doing maths A level? If not then you don't really need it, this book covers all the maths needed for the physics spec (it's just included in each topic rather than being a separate section)
Reply 10
Original post by yellowleaf23
Are you doing maths A level? If not then you don't really need it, this book covers all the maths needed for the physics spec (it's just included in each topic rather than being a separate section)

Yes, I'm doing math a level... So...can you give some practice books that relate to oxford aqa maths alevel
Original post by toppleD
Yes, I'm doing math a level... So...can you give some practice books that relate to oxford aqa maths alevel

drfrostmaths.com and madasmaths.com are both websites that are free to use.
I would recommend getting any book(s) your school recommend - if they don’t recommend any then you can pretty much get any book you like that’s AQA. I use the Collins ones but I haven’t used them tons so can’t really ‘recommend’ them, although they seem fine.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest