The Student Room Group

Private A level Maths

So basically I want to study a level of maths but I can't do it with my sixth form due to me being one grade off but I can still study a level maths by myself and just take the exams has anyone ever done this and if they have were you successful but also I am doing sixth form for other subjects
Reply 1
Original post by sound-nod
So basically I want to study a level of maths but I can't do it with my sixth form due to me being one grade off but I can still study a level maths by myself and just take the exams has anyone ever done this and if they have were you successful but also I am doing sixth form for other subjects

You can do that but please note that you would have to pay exam fees and find a centre that will allow you to sit the exams. It won't be cheap.
Reply 2
Original post by sound-nod

Original post by Aceful
You can do that but please note that you would have to pay exam fees and find a centre that will allow you to sit the exams. It won't be cheap.

And you would run the risk of exam clashes if you do 3 A levels in school and a fourth one at another exam centre.
Reply 3
Yes but I am just wondering if I can do my exams In my sixth form so then they can sync it together
Reply 4
If you ask your sixth form to enter you (so use them as an exam centre for the Maths exam) then you would be sitting all of your exams at the same centre then you should be ok with exam clashes because they would deal with that. If you had to sit your maths exam at a separate centre then clashes could be problematic. With either scenario you will have to pay your exam entry fee and also there is usually a cost to sitting an exam at an exam centre. These are not usually exorbitant. However, sitting A level maths independently is expensive because on top of this cost, you will need to get a tutor. This is an ongoing cost and not cheap. Trying to do it without a tutor is possible but very difficult, unless you are naturally brilliant at Maths.

One thing I would ask though is why you want to do A level Maths? Is it because you love maths ? Or because you need it for the uni course you want to do? If you didn’t get the required grade at GCSE , would it be better to resit the GCSE in November instead? Have you talked to your school about this? If you don’t need Maths you are probably better doing A levels that you performed better at in GCSE and enjoy more? If you do need maths for the uni course but are not considered strong enough in maths ( by your school) to sit maths A level, is it the right course for you? Also, do you know why you didn’t get a good enough grade at GCSE? Is it that you are brilliant at Maths but were ill that day or didn’t turn the question paper over so only did half the exam etc. If you love maths and feel that you could resit the GCSE tomorrow ( not that you can!) and get the required grade ( A?) then that’s great, fight for your right to do maths A level. If , however, you don’t love maths and it would involve a lot of hard work to bring your GCSE grade up then I would maybe reconsider your options?

Just food for thought. I wish you the very best 😊
Reply 5
Original post by CAG575
If you ask your sixth form to enter you (so use them as an exam centre for the Maths exam) then you would be sitting all of your exams at the same centre then you should be ok with exam clashes because they would deal with that. If you had to sit your maths exam at a separate centre then clashes could be problematic. With either scenario you will have to pay your exam entry fee and also there is usually a cost to sitting an exam at an exam centre. These are not usually exorbitant. However, sitting A level maths independently is expensive because on top of this cost, you will need to get a tutor. This is an ongoing cost and not cheap. Trying to do it without a tutor is possible but very difficult, unless you are naturally brilliant at Maths.

One thing I would ask though is why you want to do A level Maths? Is it because you love maths ? Or because you need it for the uni course you want to do? If you didn’t get the required grade at GCSE , would it be better to resit the GCSE in November instead? Have you talked to your school about this? If you don’t need Maths you are probably better doing A levels that you performed better at in GCSE and enjoy more? If you do need maths for the uni course but are not considered strong enough in maths ( by your school) to sit maths A level, is it the right course for you? Also, do you know why you didn’t get a good enough grade at GCSE? Is it that you are brilliant at Maths but were ill that day or didn’t turn the question paper over so only did half the exam etc. If you love maths and feel that you could resit the GCSE tomorrow ( not that you can!) and get the required grade ( A?) then that’s great, fight for your right to do maths A level. If , however, you don’t love maths and it would involve a lot of hard work to bring your GCSE grade up then I would maybe reconsider your options?

Just food for thought. I wish you the very best 😊

Thanks for the reply but my situation is that I love maths, and I need it in a uni course I cant really resit them because then I would have to wait a year before I can get back on track I want to do everything as normal

Quick Reply

Latest