The Student Room Group

Ireland should absorb Northern Ireland and England should absorb Scotland?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gondur
The landmass of the UK is divided very strangely. .

Not teally when you see how far east NI is. Belfasts longitude is only a tiny bit west of cornwall, and that's not the most easterly part. It slants too.

Tedious and pedantic, but true. Plus it's religion and culture too.
Reply 21
Original post by Gondur
The landmass of the UK is divided very strangely. I don't know enough politics to start an in depth debate but looking at a map, it seems right for Southern Ireland to Absorb Northern Island, which will make the Irish landmass one whole unit. Then Scotland and Wales should lose their name and be absorbed by England, which will make the England landmass one whole unit, stretching vertically from Land's End to Jon o'groats, from one end of the landmass to the other. There will be no such thing as geopolitical boundaries. The English government will absorb the Scottish and Welsh government and give Northern Ireland to Southern Ireland. At the end of this, there will be two countries, England and Ireland. The names Wales and Scotland will cease to exist and fall into history.

In terms of culture, it also makes sense. Northern Ireland is more like southern Ireland than ever England, Scotland or Wales. Scotland is more like England than Ireland. And Wales is just a linchpin people forget, kind of like an annoying itch you can't quite scratch. I also want to give Shetland and Orkney islands to Norway. We've been holding them hostage for too long now and now that we've got Wales and Scotland, we deserve to give something back. Those islands are too far away from London, the seat of power for 'Liberated England'. It will also make the transition from England to Scandinavia more gradual and genuinely interesting. I've heard a lot of people on those islands are more Norwegian, both genetically and culturally than Scottish.

What will be the consequences of this dissolution? I don't know because I don't sufficient politics to make assumptions but maybe you do and you might see this as a crazy idea in whatever political terms.

I value your argument, however it's slightly insulting how you think that we're 'hostages' of Britain. If you were to give people from the islands a vote on whether they are British or Norwegian now they will say British. I'm from Shetland and I would proudly say that we're part of the UK and in fact there is no known reason to give us to Norway as we were actually owned by Denmark before we became a part of the UK as it was part of a dowry... Yes we were part of Norway before that though. But if anyone is to be 'given' us then it would be Denmark as we were last a part of their country. Also I would say that our culture is more like Scottish culture then anything now, we may have Norwegian roots but through generations that has been watered down, so to say, and we are probably more genetically Scottish... Yes we were originally owned by Norway but it makes a lot more sense for us to be part of Scotland. Also the notice of Scotland being absorbed into England isn't very good. I think people should just be sticking to keeping it a part of the UK as it will just make people want to vote for independence if you suggest that Scotland isn't worth being a country so let's just absorb it into the country that they're trying to get away from.
Reply 22
This is a poor trolling if ever I see one.
Reply 23
United Republic of Ireland and Great Britain. Capital in Dublin, MPs sent to Leinster House. Westminster can be a devolved parliament for the English.

Go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Swanbow
Your ideas are absolute lunacy, and regardless of your opinion they will never be implemented. Good day Troll.

I can imagine it as a serious proposition for the future. Ireland being one state is certainly not outside of the realms of possibility. Equally that move, as well as things like a rejection of Scottish nationalism in the Scottish referendum this year, may well unite Great Britain further. I doubt it will be called England, but essentially what he is suggesting may well happen.

These things don't happen overnight though. They are gradual.
Reply 25
Original post by JamesyC
United Republic of Ireland and Great Britain. Capital in Dublin, MPs sent to Leinster House. Westminster can be a devolved parliament for the English.

Go.

Move the Commons into the old parliament on College Green and the upper house into the Trinity building across the road and we might have the genesis of something here.
Reply 26
Original post by L i b
Move the Commons into the old parliament on College Green and the upper house into the Trinity building across the road and we might have the genesis of something here.

Ah, but will it be a Lords or a Senate!!?
Reply 27
Original post by JamesyC
Ah, but will it be a Lords or a Senate!!?

How about we call it a Senate and the members get to call themselves Lords? Instead of being red, the benches can be a natty purple.
Reply 28
Original post by L i b
How about we call it a Senate and the members get to call themselves Lords? Instead of being red, the benches can be a natty purple.

Gotta get rid of Cameron, Blair and wee Bertie's cronies to make it work.

Oh, and the spiritual peers.
Well, Northern Ireland will probably become part of the Republic in 50 years or so once the demographics have changed enough
As a Welsh resident, I would vote yes if there was a vote to be absorbed into England. The Welsh services are despicably second-rate, especially our exam board. It's just a way for patriots to throw extra rules and regulations and administrate something that already HAS a layer of all these things.
Absorb Scotland ? We are just about to get rid of the ungrateful people.
Seriously? You don't know how much Scotland and Ireland hate the English, do you? :P and Welsh health is doing better than the English NHS...
Reply 33
Original post by L i b
I can imagine it as a serious proposition for the future. Ireland being one state is certainly not outside of the realms of possibility. Equally that move, as well as things like a rejection of Scottish nationalism in the Scottish referendum this year, may well unite Great Britain further. I doubt it will be called England, but essentially what he is suggesting may well happen.

These things don't happen overnight though. They are gradual.

So long as Unionists remain a majority in Northern Ireland it won't happen.
Reply 34
Given that it was our king who unified the crowns, surely England and Wales should be absorbed into a greater Scottish Kingdom?
(edited 10 years ago)
Given your hatred for geopolitical borders, OP, I'm assuming that if you have your way it's not long before Afro-Eurasia becomes one whole country?

All sounds very 1984 to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending