The Student Room Group

What can I do once I am 16?

It was my 16th birthday yesterday, and I wanted to know what additional things I can do legally in my life?
One is having sex if you live in the UK. You can also get married but you need your parents’ consent in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by mjhmichael18
One is having sex if you live in the UK. You can also get married but you need your parents’ consent in the UK.

The law in England and Wales was changed recently, so that you can't get married in England or Wales before your 18th birthday. (Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/legal-age-of-marriage-in-england-and-wales-rises-to-18)

16-year-olds can marry in Northern Ireland with parental consent; or in Scotland without parental consent.
Reply 4

There's some stuff on that page that I think is wrong:

(1) "At 16" "You can play the National Lottery." -- the age for playing the Lottery has been increased to 18.

(2) "Another thing you can do at 16 is buy liqueur chocolates." -- the age limit on buying liqueur chocolates was abolished by section 70 of the Deregulation Act 2015
Original post by martin7
There's some stuff on that page that I think is wrong:

(1) "At 16" "You can play the National Lottery." -- the age for playing the Lottery has been increased to 18.

(2) "Another thing you can do at 16 is buy liqueur chocolates." -- the age limit on buying liqueur chocolates was abolished by section 70 of the Deregulation Act 2015

And that’s why you should never trust the internet 😂

Good spots
Enjoy the little moments and make specific goals for this next year :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending