The Student Room Group

Maths c4 vectors

Hi was wondering if anyone could help me with part 3, was thinking it was the dot cross product but I don't know what to compare it to
Reply 1
Original post by singapaul
Hi was wondering if anyone could help me with part 3, was thinking it was the dot cross product but I don't know what to compare it to

Is there a question
What do you mean by dot cross
What board do you do
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Is there a question
What do you mean by dot cross
What board do you do

Trying to attach the photo, basically a line with equation r= (2,3,5) +(lambda)(1,1,-0.5) meets a plane x+5y+2z=77
, I calculated the coordinates of b to be (12,13,0)
Then part 3 asks, find the angle which AB makes with the upward verticle, the answer is 109.5(degrees), but I don't know how to get to it
Reply 3
Trying to attach the photo, basically a line with equation r= (2,3,5) +(lambda)(1,1,-0.5) meets a plane x+5y+2z=77
Then part 3 asks, find the angle which AB makes with the upward verticle, the answer is 109.5(degrees), but I don't know how to get to it

It's OCR mei
Reply 4

Ok

We only do Planes in FM for edexcel so I would have to swot up

BUT, from vague memory

You can find the direction perpendicular to the plane can't you - so just dot that with (1,1, -0.5)
Reply 5

If you want specific help, you're going to need to post the full question - you haven't even told us what point A is! And is the "upward vertical" the positive k-direction, i.e. unit vector (0,0,1)?

As TenOfThem says, you probably want to write the equation of the plane in vector form and use the dot product.
Reply 6
I am au fait* with the MEI syllabus.

you need to use the normal vector and the direction vector of the line.

calculate cosA using n.d/{|n|*|d|}

this gives the angle between the line and the normal.

if they also ask for the angle between the line and the plane you would subtract 90 degrees in this case.

LANGUAGE COMPLIANCE

*this means at the fact
Reply 7
Original post by the bear

LANGUAGE COMPLIANCE

*this means at the fact

PRSOM
Reply 8
PRSOM

bear™ has been punished several times for using foreign words.
Reply 9
Original post by the bear
bear™ has been punished several times for using foreign words.

I guessed as much - c'est la vie*

*LANGUAGE COMPLIANCE

This is a commonly used phrase indicating "meh" - such is life
Reply 10
I guessed as much - c'est la vie*

*LANGUAGE COMPLIANCE

This is a commonly used phrase indicating "meh" - such is life

rem acu tetigisti*

LANGUAGE COMPLIANCE

*this means you have put your finger sur le bouton**

LANGUAGE COMPLIANCE