The Student Room Group

SQA removed content in AH Maths for Uni Engineering

Hi,

As you might know, the Scottish Qualifications Authorities removed Vectors and Functions from the Y13 math course for the second year.

How important is knowing Y13 vectors and functions for first year engineering mathematics - I'm wondering whether to earmark some time in the summer holiday to study up?

Sincerely,
Boan
Original post by Ah-Its-Bon
Hi,

As you might know, the Scottish Qualifications Authorities removed Vectors and Functions from the Y13 math course for the second year.

How important is knowing Y13 vectors and functions for first year engineering mathematics - I'm wondering whether to earmark some time in the summer holiday to study up?

Sincerely,
Boan

They do come up, and they are used in engineering at university, but they'll cover them. You're only expected to have higher maths, not advanced higher (at Scottish universities), and universities should be aware that the SQA have changed the syllabus.
Reply 2
Thanks. Apologies I should have clarified, I do have an offer for A1 in AH Maths, for an English university. In the course content there is 'Linear Algebra' and 'Analysis, Complex Numbers and Integration' for year 1, which looks fun...

I've found a first year student to ask, should I update this thread with their response for anyone who comes across it?
Thanks. Apologies I should have clarified, I do have an offer for A1 in AH Maths, for an English university. In the course content there is 'Linear Algebra' and 'Analysis, Complex Numbers and Integration' for year 1, which looks fun...

I'm sure you'll manage, you seem quite diligent. In any case, you could quickly check out topics you are not familiar with on the internet, maybe YouTube, etc.

I've found a first year student to ask, should I update this thread with their response for anyone who comes across it?

Yes please, that would be useful.
Hi,

Sincerely,
Boan

In terms of engineering, very important. These are essential tools for being an engineer. Very strange to remove them as virtually all industries which data, analytical analysis or applied mathematics (such an engineering) will need people to be highly adept at using these.

Id imagine you’ll get taught these in your first few weeks of university of its no longer taught. But you’ll likely learn at a much faster pace at uni then if you covered these at school.

Quick Reply

Latest