The Student Room Group

Exams and family deaths

I lost two close family members this week and i have uni exams in May, i can't really think straight or revise. This year has been my best academic year so far, i have firsts in all modules but now i can't even sleep straight. what can i do? i have never really had/know anyone who has died. I was never someone who spoke about their feeling, so i don't really know how to deal with this.
Reply 1
You should let all your tutors know and see if you can submit an extenuating circumstances form. I'm really sorry for your loss :frown:
Reply 2
I think you should speak to a therapist, they're normally really kind and helpful, they will explain to teachers the situation and your exams may be postponed but you would be in isolation(no devices where you can contact people who have already sat the exams) or you can take the exams as normal after bereavement counselling and you will still do great if it's been your best year! Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm really sorry for your loss x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Speak to your university ASAP. It really sucks but universities aren't as helpful as they should be in these situations and there's often a lot of paperwork. I got extenuating circumstances when my dad was ill but nothing after he died due to some bureaucratic crap and I felt really let down by my university. Hell, they didn't even reply to my second application after he died, don't know how people can be so cold but there you go.

Try asking for help from friends, I know how hard it is to jump through all the hoops needed to get extenuating circumstances. If anything just have a friend sit with you and go through all the forms together.

Hope you're doing ok.
Reply 5
I'm really sorry for your loss.

Does your university have a personal supervisor system? If so, I would speak to them first and then they should be able to help you with mit circs/extensions etc. If you don't have a supervisor, I would get in contact with your Head of Year or head of undergraduate studies.
Sorry for your loss x

I'm doing my A-Levels, but I'm exactly the same situation as you, having lost 2 family members in the past 2 weeks also.
Not sure what to advise, seeing as you're in uni, but good luck nevertheless.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending