The Student Room Group

is it still possible for me to achieve a 2:1 in my degree? (please give advice)

So long story short, i achieved 61% in my first year of university which is worth 10% of my grade

But in second year i went through the death of a close family member and other big family issues which took a huge toll on my mental health and i became quite depressed so i struggled to stay motivated. On top of this all my uni exams moved back to in person for the first year after covid and they were extremely intense. My second year is worth 30% of my degree overall and on average i only achieved 51% in the year which is much below my capabilities i just couldn't bring myself to revise due to the personal issues.

I am doing a lot better currently but all i want is a 2:1 in my degree overall so i was wondering what grade currently i would need in my final year (worth 60%) to achieve this? Does anyone think this is doable because i will feel like a failure if i graduate with a 2:2 as this is much below my potential.
Original post by Anonymous
So long story short, i achieved 61% in my first year of university which is worth 10% of my grade

But in second year i went through the death of a close family member and other big family issues which took a huge toll on my mental health and i became quite depressed so i struggled to stay motivated. On top of this all my uni exams moved back to in person for the first year after covid and they were extremely intense. My second year is worth 30% of my degree overall and on average i only achieved 51% in the year which is much below my capabilities i just couldn't bring myself to revise due to the personal issues.

I am doing a lot better currently but all i want is a 2:1 in my degree overall so i was wondering what grade currently i would need in my final year (worth 60%) to achieve this? Does anyone think this is doable because i will feel like a failure if i graduate with a 2:2 as this is much below my potential.

Yes. The exact percentage you need to get in your final year will depend on how your uni does rounding, but if you achieved 65% in your final year that would give you 60.4% overall - a 2:1.

This is based solely of the information you have provided. A lot of the time unis have more complex rules than you have described, where they use the best 100 credits each year (for example), or where they use a different approach if you're on the boundary between two degree classifications, etc. So it might not be as straightforward as this posts suggests. But a 2:1 is certainly achieveable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending