The Student Room Group

C2 Binomial expansion mixed exercise

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m4ths/maths247
I was thinking about those who self teach. :smile:

Fair Enough

The OP has a teacher though
Original post by davros
I seem to have answered this question in another thread you've resurrected from a couple of years ago - you just need to divide both sides by (2k)n3(2k)^{n-3}. This shouldn't be anything new to you - it's just GCSE-level manipulation of indices :smile:

Okay so tell me where im going wrong then?
IMG_0963.jpg
Reply 42
Original post by GoldGhost
What are some good textbooks for C1 and C2 etc then? Or is it just a case of using your common sense to fill in the gaps of the textbook?

Bostock and Chandler - The Core Course for A Level.

(This question is asked every few weeks and the answer is always the same :smile: )
Original post by BenR17
IMG_0963.jpg

Can you do a better picture
Reply 44
Original post by BenR17
IMG_0963.jpg

I can barely read that, but I think if you simplify your fraction and multiply by 3 you've virtually got the equation you're trying to prove :smile:
Original post by TenOfThem
Fair Enough

The OP has a teacher though

I still say that I think some teachers may be right not to expose certain levels of mathematical understanding on some pupils.
It sounds controversial but often teaching less able pupils (which is in no way a reference to the OP :smile:) often can lead to just algorithms, plugging and chugging and keeping things very basic just to ensure they access some of the content.
Dare I say it but I believe there will be a day not so far ahead where I teach differentiation by first principles outside of teaching hours. :smile:
I am not saying these methods are right but if you have pupils returning papers with less than 15/20 out of 75 in March/April do you go down the 'knowledge' route?
Original post by davros
I can barely read that, but I think if you simplify your fraction and multiply by 3 you've virtually got the equation you're trying to prove :smile:

Yeah sorry about that couldnt find my camara so had to use phone, right okay, but if I have
n-2 x 6k = 0
can the 6k just be put onto the other side? so i can get to
n=6k+2
I still say that I think some teachers may be right not to expose certain levels of mathematical understanding on some pupils.
It sounds controversial but often teaching less able pupils (which is in no way a reference to the OP :smile:) often can lead to just algorithms, plugging and chugging and keeping things very basic just to ensure they access some of the content.
Dare I say it but I believe there will be a day not so far ahead where I teach differentiation by first principles outside of teaching hours. :smile:
I am not saying these methods are right but if you have pupils returning papers with less than 15/20 out of 75 in March/April do you go down the 'knowledge' route?

I know what you mean

You should read my tirade on the "do you get taught differentiation properly" thread
Original post by BenR17
Yeah sorry about that couldnt find my camara so had to use phone, right okay, but if I have
n-2 x 6k = 0
can the 6k just be put onto the other side? so i can get to
n=6k+2

When you divided by 6n(n-2) you have 0 on the left hand side - this is incorrect

aa0\dfrac{a}{a} \not= 0
I know what you mean

You should read my tirade on the "do you get taught differentiation properly" thread

"I jus wanna no wot dat dy/dx thing = " :wink:
When you divided by 6n(n-2) you have 0 on the left hand side - this is incorrect

aa0\dfrac{a}{a} \not= 0

Okay, so what is left on the left hand side?
"I jus wanna no wot dat dy/dx thing = " :wink:

Differentiate = Decrease

Integrate = Increase
Original post by BenR17
Okay, so what is left on the left hand side?

Well, what is aa\dfrac{a}{a}?
Well, what is aa\dfrac{a}{a}?

Haha oh dear, um is it 1:colondollar:
Original post by BenR17
Haha oh dear, um is it 1:colondollar:

:biggrin:
Differentiate = Decrease

Integrate = Increase

Oh my....
(makes a sneaky note of it none the less for his own WTF moments in teaching the topic. :wink:)
:biggrin:

Sorry to keep asking, but I've got to question 13 part b,
Q13 is:
a. Given that (2+x)5 + (2-x)5 = A + Bx2 + Cx4
find the values of constants of A, B and C
Ive done this bit and got 64, 160 and 20, checked and they are correct
b. Using the substitution y=x2 and your answers to part a, solve
(2+x)5+(2-x)5=349
so I've done
64+160x2+20x4=349
so 20x4+160x2-285=0
let y=x2
so 4y2+32y-57=0
but if i solve this in the quadratic function i get y=3/2 or -19/2 which gives weird answers for x and the answer in the book is x= +or- 3/2
Can you see where im going wrong?

Thanks
Original post by BenR17
Sorry to keep asking, but I've got to question 13 part b,
Q13 is:
a. Given that (2+x)5 + (2-x)5 = A + Bx2 + Cx4
find the values of constants of A, B and C
Ive done this bit and got 64, 160 and 20, checked and they are correct
b. Using the substitution y=x2 and your answers to part a, solve
(2+x)5+(2-x)5=349
so I've done
64+160x2+20x4=349
so 20x4+160x2-285=0
let y=x2
so 4y2+32y-57=0
but if i solve this in the quadratic function i get y=3/2 or -19/2 which gives weird answers for x and the answer in the book is x= +or- 3/2
Can you see where im going wrong?

Thanks

Cannot see any error
Cannot see any error

Okay thank you for checking, I appreciate your time, but if its correct how do I get to x=+or- 3/2?
Original post by BenR17
Okay thank you for checking, I appreciate your time, but if its correct how do I get to x=+or- 3/2?

Are you sure the 349 was correct?

Quick Reply

Latest