The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamzaabbas
Ah, good luck! I (somehow) got 725, flunking the DA and VR because I've loathed English I guess (and I can't blame it on being an international student living in England for all my life). I really hope the average goes down this year for the sake of getting into King's - here's to hoping that last year's rumoured inflation was a thing!)

Yeah, it got to the point that I got worried that I would run out of stuff to use to practice, but at the same time it also helps to reassure you that you're giving your all!

Aw wow that's awesome, well done!! I'm aiming for 700 but we'll have to see, fingers crossed! I've been doing pretty well on VR and DA, and I'm improving QR as I get used to flagging and moving on from the more complex questions. I find AR to be pot luck really - I can either see the pattern or not! I'm a bit worried about DA is it would seem they've made it more difficult this year :mad:

Where else do you hope to apply to? I've visited Keele, Cardiff, Leicester, Exeter and Plymouth. Liked them all but not sure my GCSE score will be good enough for Cardiff - I score 25/27 on their system so I don't know if it might be a risk. And Exeter was my favourite but that relies on a decent UKCAT score. Also considering St George's. :smile:
Reply 3981
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Good Luck!! Wow that's early. How long have you been practising?

Like 4ish weeks? Well 3.. 1 was on & off

It's torture lol
Reply 3982
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Aw wow that's awesome, well done!! I'm aiming for 700 but we'll have to see, fingers crossed! I've been doing pretty well on VR and DA, and I'm improving QR as I get used to flagging and moving on from the more complex questions. I find AR to be pot luck really - I can either see the pattern or not! I'm a bit worried about DA is it would seem they've made it more difficult this year :mad:

Where else do you hope to apply to? I've visited Keele, Cardiff, Leicester, Exeter and Plymouth. Liked them all but not sure my GCSE score will be good enough for Cardiff - I score 25/27 on their system so I don't know if it might be a risk. And Exeter was my favourite but that relies on a decent UKCAT score. Also considering St George's. :smile:

Yeah, I was shot down by DA even though I was most consistent in that with that in practice. So long as you don't compromise your method in the exam it should go fine! Tbf, hopefully the hard DA should lower the average this year (here's to helpless hoping!)

My GCSE score is hopefully going to be my best factor, which is why I might apply to Oxford if I can get an A* prediction :/ Else UEA (because it's only a train away), King's and Bart's and perhaps UCL. Honestly I'm not too sure since I got AAAB at AS so I'm not too sure where I stand anywhere! :confused:
Yeah, I was shot down by DA even though I was most consistent in that with that in practice. So long as you don't compromise your method in the exam it should go fine! Tbf, hopefully the hard DA should lower the average this year (here's to helpless hoping!)

My GCSE score is hopefully going to be my best factor, which is why I might apply to Oxford if I can get an A* prediction :/ Else UEA (because it's only a train away), King's and Bart's and perhaps UCL. Honestly I'm not too sure since I got AAAB at AS so I'm not too sure where I stand anywhere! :confused:

I have 7 A*s and 4 As at GCSE which is solid, but didn't get an A* in English Language, so that always knocks me down a point, even in places that only score 6 or 7 GCSEs. Pretty annoying but what can ya do?! I don't think AAAB should disadvantage you significantly. I don't know about the London uni's specifically though as I'm not too keen on the idea of central London just yet! So you'll be taking the BMAT then? How you feeling for that? :smile:
Reply 3984
Original post by MollyMcFly1
I have 7 A*s and 4 As at GCSE which is solid, but didn't get an A* in English Language, so that always knocks me down a point, even in places that only score 6 or 7 GCSEs. Pretty annoying but what can ya do?! I don't think AAAB should disadvantage you significantly. I don't know about the London uni's specifically though as I'm not too keen on the idea of central London just yet! So you'll be taking the BMAT then? How you feeling for that? :smile:

Fair enough! I might apply North dependant on how things go! I've seen a couple of BMAT things, but I'm still cooling down from the UKCAT (I don't care if I sat it on the 15th I still am tired). I'm hoping that 13A*s might help a little, but I'm getting the B remarked (it was a medical ethics paper), so fingers crossed!

To be honest, I haven't heard many unis explicitly look for an A* Eng lang as long as you have the requirement - I thought that unis mostly cared about tallies of grades only?

Also sorry in advance to anyone if I come across as obnoxious with my concerns :redface:
Fair enough! I might apply North dependant on how things go! I've seen a couple of BMAT things, but I'm still cooling down from the UKCAT (I don't care if I sat it on the 15th I still am tired). I'm hoping that 13A*s might help a little, but I'm getting the B remarked (it was a medical ethics paper), so fingers crossed!

To be honest, I haven't heard many unis explicitly look for an A* Eng lang as long as you have the requirement - I thought that unis mostly cared about tallies of grades only?

Also sorry in advance to anyone if I come across as obnoxious with my concerns :redface:

Well they always say "we score the top 7/8/9 GCSEs including English, Maths and Sciences", so if they only count 7 one of my A*s doesn't get counted. Ah well, hopefully it's not that big an issue for most places! Also Birmingham give preference to those with A* in English language. Although I'd get a contextual flag there due to my school being in the bottom certain percent so they'd take me with an A I think...

I don't blame you, you should have some break before starting BMAT!
Hi everyone!
I've got my ukcat on weds & just finished the hard Medify mock!
Just wondering how others did on the Medify mocks?
I got 71% easy, 60% medium & 62% hard (weird i know!)
Starting to worry lots now, going to try the official mocks over the weekend I think.
Reply 3987
Original post by Lucybehn92
Hi everyone!
I've got my ukcat on weds & just finished the hard Medify mock!
Just wondering how others did on the Medify mocks?
I got 71% easy, 60% medium & 62% hard (weird i know!)
Starting to worry lots now, going to try the official mocks over the weekend I think.

69%, 59% and never did the hard one and got 725!
69%, 59% and never did the hard one and got 725!

Wow that's great well done! Hopefully I do as well in mine!
What were your scores for each section if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3989
Wow that's great well done! Hopefully I do as well in mine!
What were your scores for each section if you don't mind me asking?

The fated question..

VR: 610
QR: 810
AR: 870
DA: 610

SJT: Band 1

I don't know and moreover I think I got lucky, but let me tell you I felt horrible when I saw nothing in the seven hundreds (then I noticed the 800s :P )
The fated question..

VR: 610
QR: 810
AR: 870
DA: 610

SJT: Band 1

I don't know and moreover I think I got lucky, but let me tell you I felt horrible when I saw nothing in the seven hundreds (then I noticed the 800s :P )

Haha I bet! Those are good scores though for qr & ar!
How would you say it compared with medify? Sorry to ask so many questions ha!
Can't wait just to get it over & done with now!
Reply 3991
Haha I bet! Those are good scores though for qr & ar!
How would you say it compared with medify? Sorry to ask so many questions ha!
Can't wait just to get it over & done with now!

It's fine! Everyone has that sort of experience beforehand.

VR: Spot on
QR: Perhaps a little harder, but probably the best resource for QR
AR: Medify is good, but has ridiculous two-rule sets.
DA: A bit on the easy side, but adequate enough
SJT: Always misrepresenative since it doesn't factor partial marks - I kept scoring around 50%

When are you sitting?
Original post by Medboy100
Are the questions on UKCATprep.com realistic in terms of the actual difficulty?

I'd like to purchase the two week crammer for £30 as i have my ukcat in 19 days.. Any help would be appreciated!!

I've not used that site but if you're going to pay for something I'd suggest medify... Most people find it really works for them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paras Agarwal
so is medify the best practice source for the ukcat?

Medify and the kaplan book are great
Original post by LeeJBee
Focus on reading comprehension. Caught me out on the real thing as there were only a couple of true/false/can't tell, unlike the medify mocks. Really ate in to my time. Try not to read the full passage either, just read the question then look for the appropriate info. Just isn't enough time otherwise!

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice:wink: I'll try and focus on reading comprehension then urrrgh. Hope your exam went well though?
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Ok thanks! In DA how many were the ones where you pick the best 2 additional words?

Thanks for your reply :smile: If you used medify, how was the QR in comparison to that? Also when you say you only got 2/3 of the marks in the QR mocks, do you mean the official mocks? Or mocks in books? Because getting 2/3 on the official mocks is a really high score :O

2/3 in the official mocks. The easiest questions of medify is what is mainly comes up in the test.

I had 3 of the 2 additional word questions
(edited 9 years ago)
I am selling my medify, it expires october 14, so well past the last ukcat test date.

Medify normally charges £25 for 1 week, I am selling the rest of my subscription (6 weeks) for the same price as medify 1 week. It includes 2 of the medify full length mocks (Easy & Hard mocks).

Given the length of time left on the subscription, this deal is ideal for someone doing the test in late september or October.

Message me if interested
hi,anyone who has taken the ukcat test, plz tell me about the VR paragraph lenght? is the lenght of VR paragraghs same as the UKCAT website and difficulty level is same as the website?
thanks in advance
Original post by SHOO
Defo.

Kaplan book taught me something that I found to be the most useful. It said to find the easiest box in each set and to try and work out something with those because the odds are that any excessive shapes in other boxes tend to be distractors..

Might seem obvious but when I read it was like daaaaaaamnnnnnn

Is this the understanding the test day book or the red one ?
Reply 3999
Original post by chrissy96x
Is this the understanding the test day book or the red one ?

Yes, this one

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408677556.330561.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending