The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How similar is the medify mocks to the real exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zed963
Feel free to ask me any questions. I've done the exam.

what kinda of scores were you getting on medify?
Reply 5982
Original post by anam.nawaz
Thank you:smile: what did you use? I think im gonna get all the tips from different sources, revise it and then do alot of praxtice qs

i used medify, emedica, kaplan book, and ukcat for dummies :smile: yeah that would be good :biggrin:
Original post by Buggybear1
did u fidn the kaplan mocks were hardher or just as hard as the real thing?

I didn't do them, sorry.
Original post by Doomlar
I didn't do them, sorry.

no problem. medify mocks? did u fidn them harder than the real thing? and the kaplan book mock?
Original post by Buggybear1
no problem. medify mocks? did u fidn them harder than the real thing? and the kaplan book mock?

The only resource I used was Medify; I would say VR and AR were similar to the hard mock, QR was similar to the easy mock, and DA was completely different to all of them and much harder.
Original post by tans
i used medify, emedica, kaplan book, and ukcat for dummies :smile: yeah that would be good :biggrin:

I'd recommend using just one technique- each source teaches you differently with timings, methods of scanning etc.. Maybe have a browse at a few and then decide on which ever is working best for you. I found that sticking to one set of strategies from the Kaplan materials enabled me to have clear and efficient methods for approaching each section and each type of question within it. That way it lessens the panic because you have a structured plan for your approach.
Original post by Doomlar
The only resource I used was Medify; I would say VR and AR were similar to the hard mock, QR was similar to the easy mock, and DA was completely different to all of them and much harder.

how did you personally tackle the comprehension questions in VR if you dont mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by Jaska
how did you personally tackle the comprehension questions in VR if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

I was really anxious so I didn't follow any specific system; I tended to just try and skim read the questions a couple of times.
Reply 5989
Original post by Jaska

Run away and cry. Absolutely hated them haha! Unfortunately pretty much got all 11 of my passages as comprehension questions ffs haha
Original post by Doomlar
I was really anxious so I didn't follow any specific system; I tended to just try and skim read the questions a couple of times.

Original post by hlward
Run away and cry. Absolutely hated them haha! Unfortunately pretty much got all 11 of my passages as comprehension questions ffs haha

Would you read the answers then skim read the passage or vice versa?
Reply 5991
Original post by Jaska
Would you read the answers then skim read the passage or vice versa?

Depending on the question type. If t/f/ct then I would read the question and scan for keywords in the text and read the relevant sentence, then answer the question. If it's a comprehension question, then I try to skim read and get the gist and then read the question. However, I got 640 for VR so not sure how useful my advice is haha
My UKCAT is tomorrow so naturally I've been doing a few mocks leading up to the test.

I was just beginning the QR section of the official Mock B on the UKCAT website, and as I clicked on the calculator (which opened in a new tab) the page I was working on just reset itself as if it were at the beginning of the test again. Given that my test is tomorrow, and given that I found the VR section difficult and would obviously be curious to know my mark from it, I found it extremely frustrating that such a minor task like opening the calculator which is essential for use in QR manages to mess up the whole system.

However I'd let the incident slide if it were a one-off blip on the website.

But this is not the case at all....!!! On Monday when I did Mock A the exact same thing happened. Twice. Both times when this happened I had to re-enter the exact answers that I had entered the first time round (before the page refreshed itself) so I would have the fairest mark at the end of the exam given all my answers were given in the correct time allotment, despite, with 44 extra minutes of time (essentially doing VR three times) recognising that a lot of my answers were in fact wrong. The first time the page reset itself when I opened the calculator I thought it was a mistake or a button I pressed. The second time it happened, I just ended up using an on screen calculator on my mac.

I hope I'm alone on this, because it's terribly annoying being so stressed out for the dreaded UKCAT tomorrow, doing what's meant to be the best resource to practice with and then just losing your score.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or would anyone know how to prevent the issue? Baring in mind the best way to get practice is with the actual UKCAT calculator.

PS. On the easy mock of Medify (but not the medium or hard) did anyone else find the questions took extremely long to load even though the actual countdown was still running? It had literally wasted a total of 4 or 5 minutes before I ended up turning off the mock and pursuing one of the harder mocks.
Does word order matter in DA? e.g do you have to translate it the exact word order from code to english???
Original post by cestlavie10
My UKCAT is tomorrow so naturally I've been doing a few mocks leading up to the test.

I was just beginning the QR section of the official Mock B on the UKCAT website, and as I clicked on the calculator (which opened in a new tab) the page I was working on just reset itself as if it were at the beginning of the test again. Given that my test is tomorrow, and given that I found the VR section difficult and would obviously be curious to know my mark from it, I found it extremely frustrating that such a minor task like opening the calculator which is essential for use in QR manages to mess up the whole system.

However I'd let the incident slide if it were a one-off blip on the website.

But this is not the case at all....!!! On Monday when I did Mock A the exact same thing happened. Twice. Both times when this happened I had to re-enter the exact answers that I had entered the first time round (before the page refreshed itself) so I would have the fairest mark at the end of the exam given all my answers were given in the correct time allotment, despite, with 44 extra minutes of time (essentially doing VR three times) recognising that a lot of my answers were in fact wrong. The first time the page reset itself when I opened the calculator I thought it was a mistake or a button I pressed. The second time it happened, I just ended up using an on screen calculator on my mac.

I hope I'm alone on this, because it's terribly annoying being so stressed out for the dreaded UKCAT tomorrow, doing what's meant to be the best resource to practice with and then just losing your score.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or would anyone know how to prevent the issue? Baring in mind the best way to get practice is with the actual UKCAT calculator.

PS. On the easy mock of Medify (but not the medium or hard) did anyone else find the questions took extremely long to load even though the actual countdown was still running? It had literally wasted a total of 4 or 5 minutes before I ended up turning off the mock and pursuing one of the harder mocks.

oh my literally feels like you took my thoughts and typed them out!! EXACT same problem as you and my UKCAT is tomorrow!!! And i KNOW it’s the most frustrating thing to have a small blip wreck your score.
how come some say they guessed most questions and still end up with at least 600, when i guess most questions i definitely dont score as high as 600 :frown:
Anyone have any advice about what to do the night before/the day of the exam? Mine's tomorrow just after lunch.. :s-smilie: I have most problems with timing for QR and accuracy for AR, if anyone has any specific advice for those :smile:
Original post by emmaaa88
Anyone have any advice about what to do the night before/the day of the exam? Mine's tomorrow just after lunch.. :s-smilie: I have most problems with timing for QR and accuracy for AR, if anyone has any specific advice for those :smile:

people have been saying on the day you shouldnt do any practice and just relax.
Hi
If anyone is interested in these UKCAT, interview and ps books please PM me :smile:

Medicine ukcat,interview.ps books.docx
Reply 5999
Original post by emmaaa88

For AR especially, look at the box with the fewest shapes and then compare to the most shaped box. For questions like finding the mean, trying to use your mental ability will reduce the need to use the calc.

Latest

Trending

Trending