The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsbehonest
I had the orange version last year, it was OK. Not ground breaking but good if you want to get a bit of extra practice. Also they have a raw mark to UKCAT score conversion chart in there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0198704313/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WPZ3HS22MTYXX45290W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294
WONT THIS BOOK BE UPDATED AS IT WAS PUBLISHED THIS MAY
does anyone know any free webistes for ukcat practice
and as this book was published may 2014 wont this be updated so should i buy it as 600q is old
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0198704313/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WPZ3HS22MTYXX45290W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294
anyone used this book?

Can't open the link but if its the Kaplan one published recently..Yeah. I'm thinking of getting it too.

I assume it would be similar to the older version I had last year which was quite decent.
Reply 783
Original post by coolgamer
does anyone know any free webistes for ukcat practice
and as this book was published may 2014 wont this be updated so should i buy it as 600q is old
anyone used this book?

www.getintomedicine.co.uk
Original post by a123a
Ikr!!!
The 600 Q book apparently is a lot harder though, so hopefully I will be able to actually understand the questions in the actual exam. :rolleyes:

hope so! good luck! :gthumb:
Original post by sammann123
It was my joint lowest score so no useful ones haha!

Tbh I consideer 640 a great score since I get consistently lower! :colondollar::colondollar:
What other UKCAT websites are good that are not Medify?
Reply 787
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
hope so! good luck! :gthumb:

Thank you! You too!
Original post by pharma21
Hey guys got my exam on the 14 August, first time applicant and going for grad entry. Any advice on how best to prepare if I start my revision after 31 July ( when my current job ends). Is two weeks enough for most people or do you find you need more time? Thanks in advance.

BTW any other MPharm graduate here?

Fellow pharmacist here!

I recommend going on one of the Kaplan weekend courses, really helpful wrt strategy and inside tactics. They send people into the exam and direct the course material based on how they expect the question styles to be for that particular year. They are a bit steep (315 quid), but you get a full 2 days of classroom-style strategy teaching with mini practice tests. They also send you loads of short quizzes and full practice tests in the computerized format of the UKCAT. They advise to do the course about 3-4 weeks before sitting the exam.

I'm currently a hospital pharmacist, with close links to a local medical school (I teach med students therapeutics!) and from what I can gather they are to do away with the 4 year graduate entry course all together. This is due to new government requirements for medical students to spend a minimum number of hours on clinical training, for which a 4 year course couldn't possibly fulfill. I don't know when that is coming into effect, but I'm aware that the Leicester grad course is to halve its number of places to 32 for 2015 entry and then to close it all together in 2016. For the 5 year courses there are no loans for the first 4 years (you're expected to fund them yourself - yes - 36K - out of your pocket) I applied last year, got 4 rejections (as a hospital pharmacist with 3 yrs in the NHS and a 2.1 from Nottingham) and shall do again this year. But, for me, its starting to look like I may have to go abroad if my options run thin (ie poor UKCAT!). I think its the conservative government trying to undo everything labour put in place. They're trying to go back to the old traditional methods of medical admissions - basing selection more upon academics (UKCAT), and move back to the traditional point of entry by making it harder for graduates/mature students.
I feel you. Iv been working in healthcare since 2010. Deal with patients it's my job do voluntary work but all that means nothing without a high admission test score...it's the way.
PS I would give you a medical place what's not to like a healthcare professional working in a multi disciplinary environment with a high level of responsibility uses all the skills a doctor does plus teaches as well ..lol
Reply 791
Original post by the_effendi
I feel you. Iv been working in healthcare since 2010. Deal with patients it's my job do voluntary work but all that means nothing without a high admission test score...it's the way.

i think it depends on which uni basically. I have been a military medic for over 5 years and now a theatre practitioner and i believe that gave me a chance to have an offer which i now have to meet (645 minimum)
Original post by kgee
i think it depends on which uni basically. I have been a military medic for over 5 years and now a theatre practitioner and i believe that gave me a chance to have an offer which i now have to meet (645 minimum)

congrats, which Uni?
Original post by kgee

A military medic? What training do you need for that? And how was the job? That's really interesting :smile:
What website is better UPO or UKCATprep
Reply 795
Original post by DrHassan
congrats, which Uni?

I have a conditional offer from Durham to start in October if i meet the requirement
Reply 796
Original post by OnionRing
A military medic? What training do you need for that? And how was the job? That's really interesting :smile:

You get all the training in the military to do your job and it was exciting.
i feel sorry for you guys having to sit this completely meaningless exam. biggest load of rubbish ever.

i sat it some 6 years ago now. i didn't do any prep, just looked at some example questions online, because you know, it's meant to be an 'aptitude test'... completely bombed it

baffles me how med schools continue to use it. for those of you with a lower score than you hoped for, it's not a big deal, just need to be selective about where you apply. good luck.
Reply 798
How long do people usually take in brushing up their mathematics skills before attempting the QR practice questions? I suspect this preliminary maths practice doesn't form part of the actual (in the hours spent for) UKCAT practice?
Original post by J1mmy
How long do people usually take in brushing up their mathematics skills before attempting the QR practice questions? I suspect this preliminary maths practice doesn't form part of the actual (in the hours spent for) UKCAT practice?

I'd say just jump straight into the practice questions, don't bother brushing up. Learn as you go. That's what's worked for me anyway. Everyone's different.

Latest

Trending

Trending