The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saski
I used the keyboard, make sure you practice with it at home!

Were the QR questions particularly hard or long winded? Did certain topics pop up a lot i.e. Percentages (sorry about all the questions :smile: )
Reply 981
Original post by Saski
I used a bit of both

When one was available on the mocks I used it

But when practicing with the books at home I used a windows one

But which one did you get in the actual exam. Because the one in the mocks is painful to use :angry: and the memory functions don't work well.
Reply 982
Original post by Jimbob995
Were the QR questions particularly hard or long winded? Did certain topics pop up a lot i.e. Percentages (sorry about all the questions :smile: )

No I found them generally shorter and easier than most of the ones that I'd practiced in the books and I could use a lot more mental maths than anticipated due to the ease of the questions

there were quite a lot of questions with graphs where hardly any tricky maths was involved, you just had to look at the graph or change the units

(no problem)
Reply 983
Original post by Shad-A
But which one did you get in the actual exam. Because the one in the mocks is painful to use :angry: and the memory functions don't work well.

ohhh I see, you get the rubbish one that they give you in the mocks, yeah I never used the memory functions I just wrote numbers down on the laminated booklet that they give you
Reply 984
Original post by Saski
I just took my UKCAT today and scored an average of 720!!

vr-590
qr-810
ar-780
da-700
sj- band 1

I'm very happy with this and was just wondering if anyone knew of any unis in particular which would be likely to consider me

also if anyone has any questions about the test itself or revising I'd be happy to help

Well done!! I'm starting preparation this week. Any tips on time management? I feel like there's too much and not enough time :frown:
Any other tips or help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985
Original post by Cpie21
Well done!! I'm starting preparation this week. Any tips on time management? I feel like there's too much and not enough time :frown:
Any other tips or help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For time management- be brutal, if you don't get it within 15 seconds just trust yourself that you'll give a good educated guess

practice with the calculator and get to know which type of questions you're good at so that you spend time on these in the test and secure the marks that you know you can get
Reply 986
Original post by The_Top_Hat
Yeah. I do them as fast as possible. If I took my time in VR then it would be easy to get 100% every time but I take about 1 minute 30 seconds for the whole 5 set question on VR.

You should time every set roughly or at least do each question set with haste to make sure you understand the meaning of timing in this test :s-smilie:

This method so far is giving me around 70% on practice analysis.
Ranked in Easiest to Hardest I'd put it:
1) AR
2) DA and QR
3) VR

4) STJ - I hate this.

I'm doing it quickly with haste, and timing myself to see if my speed is improving. I've got a faster in some sections but still need to get better.
I've still got a couple of weeks till my exam so hopefully I will get faster
Reply 987
Original post by Saski
I used the kaplan book first (the most helpful by far!), then i moved on to the 600q book which is so tricky but good practise, and then i used the UKCAT for Dummies book which was good for practicing questions on trains etc.
I also used almost every free resource you can find on the internet

This sounds like a lot of prep but it really didn't feel like it as I familiarised myself with the style almost a year ago and then picked it up again about 3 weeks ago on trains to open days. then I spent about 1 and a half days doing tests and timed stuff

They chucked in loads of new style question on the verbal reasoning, but i didn't come across any in the abstract reasoning. the situational judgement section is now split into 2 sections of 'appropriateness' and 'importance' which i hadnt twigged before the test

I've been using the Kaplan book. Would you say that the style of the questions are representative/ similar to the actual test?
All the resources I use seem slightly different to each other, so not sure which one is the best
I'm finding abstract reasoning really hard and just wanted to know if any one has any tips for it.

Ive just been doing the 600Q UKCat book and I'm finding it really hard to find the patterns- I've been looking at colour, shape,size, sides, symmetry etc and can't seem to find the pattern! I really don't know what I'm doing wrong though :frown: tbh it was in timed conditions but still find it hard though
Reply 989
Original post by hpcp
I've been using the Kaplan book. Would you say that the style of the questions are representative/ similar to the actual test?
All the resources I use seem slightly different to each other, so not sure which one is the best

yeah the kaplan one is the best representative of the test, however I'd try some harder vr and ar questions from other books just so that you're prepared. especially with ar because the more patterns/rules that you discover and have fresh in your brain the more likely you'll spot the ones in the test
Reply 990
Original post by BigBangTheory1
I'm finding abstract reasoning really hard and just wanted to know if any one has any tips for it.

Ive just been doing the 600Q UKCat book and I'm finding it really hard to find the patterns- I've been looking at colour, shape,size, sides, symmetry etc and can't seem to find the pattern! I really don't know what I'm doing wrong though :frown: tbh it was in timed conditions but still find it hard though

the 600q ar questions are waaay harder than the actual test so don't worry about it, just try find some questions from other sources
Reply 991
Original post by BigBangTheory1

try here and see how you feel. http://www.ukcatprep.com/ukcat_questions.html

http://www.getintomedicine.co.uk/ukcat-practice-questions.php
Guys...

Really really worried about next week - UKCAT test day eeeek!!! I have this gut feeling it's not going to go good for me and don't know what else to do... using medify but getting really mixed results and also feel like I am making the same mistakes...

Any advice for VR?? I have been adopting the following techniques of skim reading, locating key words and then searching and also reading the whole passage and trying to answer the question - none of which really are helping me better scores!

I really want to get into GEP but if this doesn't go well, I am thinking of taking GAMSAT - a whole new ball game altogether!!!
Original post by ishi_bibi
Guys...

Really really worried about next week - UKCAT test day eeeek!!! I have this gut feeling it's not going to go good for me and don't know what else to do... using medify but getting really mixed results and also feel like I am making the same mistakes...

Any advice for VR?? I have been adopting the following techniques of skim reading, locating key words and then searching and also reading the whole passage and trying to answer the question - none of which really are helping me better scores!

I really want to get into GEP but if this doesn't go well, I am thinking of taking GAMSAT - a whole new ball game altogether!!!

In the end, revision revision revision helps me. I did a couple of intensive says and that helped me quite me bit. Mine is next friday but I think i'm prepared for it.
In Verbal Reasoning, it's important to note that apparently its more comprehensive than T/F/CT questions this year so prepare for them. With the comprehensive questions, I find it's better to read the text carefully and then answer the 5 questions quickly.
Original post by Jatyization
Hi everyone, I needed some help on how awful i did on the UKCAT DA section. I did DA for the first time today and i got 8/19 questions correct and went 30 seconds over the time limit. Is this really terrible? and What score would i have got in the actual UKCAT test for the DA section?

Thanks for your help. I now hate the UKCAT!!!! :angry:

Well the first time is never going to be the best so it isn't bad and 30 seconds overall overtime is fine.
In the end, just do more revision!
(It's impossible to predict your DA this early on!)
Reply 995
Does anyone know if SJT is being considered for any unis now? I remember last year it wasn't being considered by many(if any) but has it changed?

Also, where can i get examples of the new VR questions? Is it just medify and the official mocks?
Reply 996
Original post by Saski
yeah the kaplan one is the best representative of the test, however I'd try some harder vr and ar questions from other books just so that you're prepared. especially with ar because the more patterns/rules that you discover and have fresh in your brain the more likely you'll spot the ones in the test

Would you recommend 600q?
Were the medify sample mocks that you did also similar?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rob_37
Does anyone know if SJT is being considered for any unis now? I remember last year it wasn't being considered by many(if any) but has it changed?

Also, where can i get examples of the new VR questions? Is it just medify and the official mocks?

After a little searching, I found this which gives a great snapshot of how universities use the UKCAT.
As a general rule of thumb, i'm pretty sure there aren't many universities using STJ.

Most of the new mocks like kaplan, medify and the official UKCAT mocks have the new style VR but I must admit it is hard to find them. It can be good just simply to practice reading magazine articles quickly and then making up some questions like 'What is the Author's tone in the passage?'.
hi guys, where is the best place to practice for SJ and the new style VR? i feel like i dont have enough resources, I am using medify, 600 ukcat book and kaplan book
Reply 999
Original post by piece-of-me
hi guys, where is the best place to practice for SJ and the new style VR? i feel like i dont have enough resources, I am using medify, 600 ukcat book and kaplan book

Try www.ukcatprep.com

Latest

Trending

Trending