Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
How long were the passages for VR?
Original post by Avor
How long were the passages for VR?

Kaplan reckon 200-300 words
Original post by hoodlie
Yes, it's exactly the same as the one you get in the exam :smile:

Thanks! I didn't use any online material apart from the practice tests on the ukcat website. For VR I got 680 - I found this section the hardest, so I don't really have any tips except practice scanning the texts quickly but not so quickly that you don't actually take anything in. For QR (900) definitely practise using the proper calculator, and using the number pad is a lot quicker too. Don't be afraid to stop working them out a bit early and guess the rest because you're likely to get some of them right, whereas if you don't answer them at all you won't get any marks! Actually that applies to all the sections. Also some calculations are quicker if you don't use the calculator, so make sure you use the paper too. For the other sections I got: AR (810) DA (720) and SJ (band 2).

Thanks! I'm applying for graduate entry, but I still haven't decided where:tongue:

How long did you spend preparing? :smile:
Hey Guys, can anyone tell me if the level of difficulty of the questions on medify is comparable to that of the the real UKCAT exam? Also do we have any prospective undergraduate dental students here? :smile:
Original post by Jimbob995
I'm aware that TSR is not representative of everyone but is it me or do QR scores seem higher than usual

I think your right. I found qr the easiest section.
This might be silly question but are there different versions of ukcat test each year ie five diff ones or is there just one test for everyone to do. ?
Original post by the_effendi
This might be silly question but are there different versions of ukcat test each year ie five diff ones or is there just one test for everyone to do. ?

There are 3 tests made each year and you get one of them on test day, apparently that's why you can only do it once per cycle as you may get the same test again
Original post by Jimbob995
There are 3 tests made each year and you get one of them on test day, apparently that's why you can only do it once per cycle as you may get the same test again

I think there's 3 tests for each section. So there's actually 81 different tests overall, excluding the SJT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
I think there's 3 tests for each section. So there's actually 81 different tests overall, excluding the SJT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops my bad!
Original post by Jatyization
Really? Thats terrible. What if one test is harder than the others? :frown::mad:

Hmmm it's just I took test early and didn't do great few others felt same but they it seems.scores are improving now..strange but I should think they would make them the same level of difficulty so it's reliable. But I think if scores are improving I guess the ukcat this year isn't that bad
1st time posting. My test is in 4 days.
Been using Medify, Emedica, 600Q, and another book.
I just took the official practice of the UKCAT site and was ridiculous.

I want to ask, does the real thing have hard to read or complicated graph layouts for QR?

The ones in Emedica are fairly straightforward, the ones in Medify are a little bit more complicated. 600Q and official practice tests are ridiculous.

Which ones are most representative?

Appreciate the last minute advice :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QuidditchFan
How long did you spend preparing? :smile:

I'd say about an hour a day for two weeks, going up to two or three in the last few days :smile:
Original post by giozahar
1st time posting. My test is in 4 days.
Been using Medify, Emedica, 600Q, and another book.
I just took the official practice of the UKCAT site and was ridiculous.

I want to ask, does the real thing have hard to read or complicated graph layouts for QR?

The ones in Emedica are fairly straightforward, the ones in Medify are a little bit more complicated. 600Q and official practice tests are ridiculous.

Which ones are most representative?

Appreciate the last minute advice :colondollar:

I think the general consensus is that the actual test is easier than the practice UKCAT ones. The medify mocks seem to be a good indication. Also from what I hear, the QR sounds doable eg %'s and S = D/T so hopefully not to complicated! :smile:
Reply 1193
just tried medify easy mock...omg, didn't even get to half of the questions before it timed out....am in a big mess people :frown: 43%.

VR 17/44, QR 7/36, AR 23/55, DA 23/28, SJ 31/67
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kgee
just tried medify easy mock...omg, didn't even get to half of the questions before it timed out....am in a big mess people :frown: 43%.

VR 17/44, QR 7/36, AR 23/55, DA 23/28, SJ 31/67

You're not in a mess remain calm! I assume this means you still have plenty time so don't panic.
You just need to accept that you cant answer every question in the time limit. Therefor you need to be tactical and.develop methods which.work for you to.guess longer harder questions and get through easy ones faster.
Honestly I had like 5 meltdowns last year thinking I couldn't do it but ended up with 2950 total.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neverme
Hey everyone! Just got home from my UKCAT. I prepared mostly with Medify (did about a quarter to half the questions for each section), but also did the emedica mock, both UKCAT mocks and the long and short Kaplan mocks.

VR: 760 - about the same difficulty as practice ones.
QR: 890 - way easier than practice ones. was my worst section in practice but best on the test.
AR: 810 - a bit easier than the practice ones. Had to guess a few sets.
DA: 710 - about the same difficulty as the practice ones.
SJT: Band 1 - this was a big surprise as I'd got Band 3 in all of the mocks I did. This might be because the mocks don't take into account when you're only one off.

Don't worry if you're not doing as well as you'd hope in your revision. I scored a lot higher than I expected to (I was aiming for 700 average :P ) especially in QR and SJT.

Good luck everyone!

How long were the passages for VR? Were they long? Thank you!
People that did the test, is there any way that I can take water into the test room and leave it with the invigilator or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1197
Original post by em.d_4
You're not in a mess remain calm! I assume this means you still have plenty time so don't panic.
You just need to accept that you cant answer every question in the time limit. Therefor you need to be tactical and.develop methods which.work for you to.guess longer harder questions and get through easy ones faster.
Honestly I had like 5 meltdowns last year thinking I couldn't do it but ended up with 2950 total.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have 2 weeks to sit the exam
Original post by hpcp
People that did the test, is there any way that I can take water into the test room and leave it with the invigilator or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I hear, you can ask invigilators to hold onto items such as water for if you need a drink. Not too sure though and some centres just may outright refuse.

Not all Pearson Vue centres are the same.
I'm finiding the QR in the 600Q book VERY hard, is that bad?

Latest

Trending

Trending