The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well I've got mine tomorrow morning at 8am, just did the UKCAT official test B and just wanted to know what people scores where like on it.

I got:
VR: 36/44
QR: 23/36 (Quantitative on the official practices are ridiculous)
AR: 29/55 (Not sure here, normally fine with AR but I hated most of the official ones...)
DA: 22/28

STJ: 35/67 (Lots of responses by me that are one off the answer so lost out on lots of marks)

Overall: 67.5% and 35/67 on STJ (Probably band 3, maybe band 2 if i'm lucky)

Anyone else remember what they got?
I'm off to go brush up on my AR and QR (Which strangely are usually my best sections :s-smilie:)
Reply 1381
Original post by The_Top_Hat
Well I've got mine tomorrow morning at 8am, just did the UKCAT official test B and just wanted to know what people scores where like on it.

I got:
VR: 36/44
QR: 23/36 (Quantitative on the official practices are ridiculous)
AR: 29/55 (Not sure here, normally fine with AR but I hated most of the official ones...)
DA: 22/28

STJ: 35/67 (Lots of responses by me that are one off the answer so lost out on lots of marks)

Overall: 67.5% and 35/67 on STJ (Probably band 3, maybe band 2 if i'm lucky)

Anyone else remember what they got?
I'm off to go brush up on my AR and QR (Which strangely are usually my best sections :s-smilie:)

In the actual test you get points for picking the next best option for SJT so you'll probably get a good band. Not that many unis pay attention to SJT score unfortunately.
Original post by ilem
In the actual test you get points for picking the next best option for SJT so you'll probably get a good band. Not that many unis pay attention to SJT score unfortunately.

Yeah I know, thats why I mentioned that fact (And looked at the review on it after the test). I'm still not too bothered about STJ in the end. I think my biggest worries for tomorrow are the fact it's 8:00am (Bad choice of time but oh well! I'm a morning person but not that much of a morning person!) and that in any section I improve and then move onto another section to improve, my previous section's scores start to drop again and I can never maintain a good score across the board, it's really damn annoying! :angry:
Yeah I know, thats why I mentioned that fact (And looked at the review on it after the test). I'm still not too bothered about STJ in the end. I think my biggest worries for tomorrow are the fact it's 8:00am (Bad choice of time but oh well! I'm a morning person but not that much of a morning person!) and that in any section I improve and then move onto another section to improve, my previous section's scores start to drop again and I can never maintain a good score across the board, it's really damn annoying! :angry:

I have the same problem…good luck for tomorrow I'm sure you'll let us all know how it goes :smile: P.s. any tips for VR? I read the passage for new style questions and skim read for T/F/C i try to skip longer passages and come back to them at the end. Any preparation tips also?
Original post by kgee
I am and i have similar situation....but what i do is, i read the text quickly and answer the questions as my instincts tell me at first time

Thanks! :smile: I will try it.
Original post by ninaray
I have the same problem…good luck for tomorrow I'm sure you'll let us all know how it goes :smile: P.s. any tips for VR? I read the passage for new style questions and skim read for T/F/C i try to skip longer passages and come back to them at the end. Any preparation tips also?

Yep, working on QR and AR now. Medify AR is quite easy though, then you look at Official UKCAT AR and it's quite a bit different... The QR as I hear though in the practice tests, is nothing like the real QR which is good to hear.

Oh and quick tip guys. If the UKCAT this year is more comprehension heavy (Which it is said to have been and is), try the official UKCAT B test as it has 90% comprehension!

And tips for VR are really just assume you are a robot and know nothing but what the text says and answer accordingly. Also for comprehension, read the whole text first and answer the question then but also intelligently look at the answers and delete silly answers to make your life easier!
Hi guys, had such a disaster on the UKCAT day and really didn't do very well. I got an average of 650 which is pretty low and I just don't know what unis to apply to now. Here are my results:
VR: 630
QR: 760
AR: 580
DA: 630
SJ: band 1
is there any hope for me at all with places like st.georges?!
Reply 1387
Original post by kristinagee
Hi guys, had such a disaster on the UKCAT day and really didn't do very well. I got an average of 650 which is pretty low and I just don't know what unis to apply to now. Here are my results:

Was the AR very hard?
Original post by kristinagee

650 is not a disaster! I think the average will be lower this year after the inflation last year. Just apply smart and you shouldn't have problem, just for context I got 600 last year when the average was 660 and am on a waiting list post interview, obviously a better ukcat may have got me an offer but the point I'm trying to get across is that the ukcat is not the be all and end all, your score won't be a hindrance if you apply to your strengths :smile:
Reply 1389
What was the AR most similar to?
Is the QR on Emedica not very representative?
Original post by tabarekm
Hi guys, Im having my ukcat test in august 15, but I need help.
If you have any sources/websites that will tell me what i am expecting to see or what to look for in the test.

Thank you

Medify is a very good resource and reasonably priced.

All the best,
Medicine Mentoring
http://www.medicinementoring.co.uk
Yep, working on QR and AR now. Medify AR is quite easy though, then you look at Official UKCAT AR and it's quite a bit different... The QR as I hear though in the practice tests, is nothing like the real QR which is good to hear.

Oh and quick tip guys. If the UKCAT this year is more comprehension heavy (Which it is said to have been and is), try the official UKCAT B test as it has 90% comprehension!

And tips for VR are really just assume you are a robot and know nothing but what the text says and answer accordingly. Also for comprehension, read the whole text first and answer the question then but also intelligently look at the answers and delete silly answers to make your life easier!

Thank you very much for this!

I am using Medify and I am inclined to agree that the AR seems quite simple. What alternatives have you used for practice? Have you used the 600Q or Kaplan book??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know the best resources for AR?
Thought it was my best section and did a practice test and got a shocking result..

Nothing seems to be working :/ maybe i just don’t have the brain for that type of thinking? :frown:(
sitting mine in 5 days, and I'm nervous as hell. Aiming for a 730 min but I can't perform as well as I should... I dunno what to do :frown:
Just sat my UKCAT. Here are my results:
VR 580
QR 760
AR 810
DA 780

SJT Band 1

Average 732.5

I thought VR was tough compared to the practice questions, barely any T/F/CT. QR was much easier than all the mocks I did( in mocks would never get more than 650). AR was much easier than UKCAT official mocks and DA was pretty much the same. Obviously this is only my opinion :smile:
Original post by Cutieapple44
VR 580
QR 760
AR 810
DA 780

SJT Band 1

Average 732.5

I thought VR was tough compared to the practice questions, barely any T/F/CT. QR was much easier than all the mocks I did( in mocks would never get more than 650). AR was much easier than UKCAT official mocks and DA was pretty much the same. Obviously this is only my opinion :smile:

Congrats on the great score. If you dont me asking what resources did you use to prepare? also in AR were the questions the more traditional Set A/ Set B or was there quite a lot of the new style AR questions?

Original post by Unknown505
Congrats on the great score. If you dont me asking what resources did you use to prepare? also in AR were the questions the more traditional Set A/ Set B or was there quite a lot of the new style AR questions?

I used medify/ Kaplan ( I went on the course so had 6 practice tests and loads of quizzes). Did all the official UKCAT mocks and individual quizzes. Just looked on the internet for some random UKCAT practice and revised GCSE Maths. I did a Maths GCSE past paper to familiarise myself with my maths skills ( I am graduate so havent done pure maths in a while). In my test, I had non of the new style questions- they were all Set A, Set B and Neither type questions. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Cutieapple44
VR 580
QR 760
AR 810
DA 780

SJT Band 1

Average 732.5

If what you say is true... All my worries will be washed away... I PRAY my UKCAT tomorrow was like yours. Love the comprehension questions, QR is good if it's medify standard, AR is brilliant if it's medify standard and DA, well DA is DA.
I did the official practice test today and did find QR and AR in particular where harder than usual.
If what you say is true... All my worries will be washed away... I PRAY my UKCAT tomorrow was like yours. Love the comprehension questions, QR is good if it's medify standard, AR is brilliant if it's medify standard and DA, well DA is DA.
I did the official practice test today and did find QR and AR in particular where harder than usual.

I did the official practice test day a few days ago and couldnt spot the AR patterns at all and could only answer half of QR. So I dont think the official test is representative for QR and AR at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending