The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Top_Hat
The questions that aren't True/False/Can't Tell.

The ones like this:

Spoiler

Okay, thanks. Which resources did you use for these comprehension questions?
Original post by chantelletubby
Does anyone have any tips or advice for the new verbal reasoning questions? This is my weakest area- and the time situation is something I really struggle with! Should I read the text first or scan it with each question? help!
Abstract reasoning is hard too, especially the time frame, and I can't always seem to find patterns... I normally over complicate it?! What's the best approach?
Decision analysis is my favourite part, but again my timings a bit (a lot) off ... quantitate reasoning was SO hard in the 600q book... Are they all like that?

Thanks guys ✌️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think different methods work better for different people. Personally I'm not good at reading really quickly and digesting the information at the same time so I generally read the question and then scan for parts of the text that contain the information that answers the question. As for the 600q book I think it's a largely known fact that the QR is much harder than the real thing.
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Okay, thanks. Which resources did you use for these comprehension questions?

I used a bit of Medify but apart from that, not too much else as I found them a whole deal easier than the T/F/CT questions.
I would look around at Kaplan and some of the newly published UKCAT books which might have them.
I'm considering re-scheduling my exam, but the exam centre that I wanted to go to (Holborn - used it last year :tongue:) is not available on the new date that I want.

To anybody who has been to Kingston (London), do you recommend this test centre? Is the use of the keyboard (for the onscreen calculator) allowed there? Are whiteboards given PRIOR to the exam? How many?
Reply 1584
Original post by Mehhhh
I'm considering re-scheduling my exam, but the exam centre that I wanted to go to (Holborn - used it last year :tongue:) is not available on the new date that I want.

To anybody who has been to Kingston (London), do you recommend this test centre? Is the use of the keyboard (for the onscreen calculator) allowed there? Are whiteboards given PRIOR to the exam? How many?

The UKCAT rules say you can use the keyboard, personally I would take a print out of them and make sure they know you will be planning to use the keyboard when they check you in. Better to deal with it before the clock is ticking if there are any issues.

I've used the Kingston test centre for my driving theory test and it's very near the St James road car park and right by Kingston college but if you are going to use the train then it's about a 20 minute walk as you need to get around all of the slow walking shoppers (I worked a three minute walk away). Plus allow getting lost time as Kingston has lots of little streets that lead off in different directions.

I did my test at another centre yesterday and before I went in I was given three pieces of spiral bound laminated card. I would expect this to be standard as it had the UKCAT logo printed on it but maybe others can confirm. It was double sided so you had 6 pages to write on.
Original post by M150
The UKCAT rules say you can use the keyboard, personally I would take a print out of them and make sure they know you will be planning to use the keyboard when they check you in. Better to deal with it before the clock is ticking if there are any issues.

I've used the Kingston test centre for my driving theory test and it's very near the St James road car park and right by Kingston college but if you are going to use the train then it's about a 20 minute walk as you need to get around all of the slow walking shoppers (I worked a three minute walk away). Plus allow getting lost time as Kingston has lots of little streets that lead off in different directions.

I did my test at another centre yesterday and before I went in I was given three pieces of spiral bound laminated card. I would expect this to be standard as it had the UKCAT logo printed on it but maybe others can confirm. It was double sided so you had 6 pages to write on.

Thank you :smile: Looks like I will have to take a print out of the rules with me just in case, even if I change my mind and remain at Holborn.

I like to arrive at the test centre really early anyway. Last year, I was allowed to begin the test almost an hour earlier than the scheduled time :eek:

I was given 3 pieces of laminated card, just like you've described, last year as well. They are given at all test centres it seems...
I found Medify good for Abstract and Decision but I thought that its Quantitative was way too easy and its Verbal was lacking in the parts that mattered (The comprehension).

I would use Medify in conjunction with other sources if I was you. Look for some harder QR (But not as hard as 600Q QR) and some more comprehension.

What sources would you recommend for QR?
Original post by Crazzyyy
What sources would you recommend for QR?

As I only used Medify and 600Q, I would say do a mix of the two and make sure you can answer the 600Q questions fairly quickly.
As I only used Medify and 600Q, I would say do a mix of the two and make sure you can answer the 600Q questions fairly quickly.

Okk.....and for the new style VR Questions?? I've heard Medify does not have a lot of them....
Original post by Crazzyyy
Okk.....and for the new style VR Questions?? I've heard Medify does not have a lot of them....

No they do not. Only 19 sets at the moment (Which you will work through surprisingly quickly).
No they do not. Only 19 sets at the moment (Which you will work through surprisingly quickly).

Thanx for d advice!!!!
The questions that aren't True/False/Can't Tell.

The ones like this:

Spoiler

How did you get fast in QR? in medify there are so many long averages questions where you need to use a calculator. I think the real thing will have harder questions but less of the calculator hopefully.
And also people are saying AR is harder than medify, only thing harder is 600q which I've used? anything else to recommend?

Did you do the QR questions in 600q as well? Did that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mehhhh
Thank you :smile: Looks like I will have to take a print out of the rules with me just in case, even if I change my mind and remain at Holborn.

I like to arrive at the test centre really early anyway. Last year, I was allowed to begin the test almost an hour earlier than the scheduled time :eek:

I was given 3 pieces of laminated card, just like you've described, last year as well. They are given at all test centres it seems...

Where are the list of rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Officially beginning to start preparing for the UKCAT (it's a month today), hope I haven't left it too late D:
Reply 1594
Original post by ooxbridge
Officially beginning to start preparing for the UKCAT (it's a month today), hope I haven't left it too late D:

So is mine :biggrin:

Good luck
Original post by SHOO
So is mine :biggrin:

Good luck

Good luck to you too! :wink:
How much prep have you done so far? :eek:
Original post by hpcp
How did you get fast in QR? in medify there are so many long averages questions where you need to use a calculator. I think the real thing will have harder questions but less of the calculator hopefully.
And also people are saying AR is harder than medify, only thing harder is 600q which I've used? anything else to recommend?

Did you do the QR questions in 600q as well? Did that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My QR was pretty nasty to be honest. It had a lot of long questions with about 20% being multiple step questions needing you to write things down. That may be like everyones or I was just unlucky. Very little questions needing you to notice things on graphs etc, just calculations...
AR I just found to be normal but not the same as medify, the patterns are a bit more subtle on the real thing but don't just rely on medify. I found Medify to be a little too easy comparatively.
QR in 600Q was harder than real UKCAT questions but not obscenely harder so they are useful to do.
For anyone who's done it already, does CTRL F work? Would be useful for VR haha :biggrin:
My QR was pretty nasty to be honest. It had a lot of long questions with about 20% being multiple step questions needing you to write things down. That may be like everyones or I was just unlucky. Very little questions needing you to notice things on graphs etc, just calculations...
AR I just found to be normal but not the same as medify, the patterns are a bit more subtle on the real thing but don't just rely on medify. I found Medify to be a little too easy comparatively.
QR in 600Q was harder than real UKCAT questions but not obscenely harder so they are useful to do.

That's not good :frown:
I don't mind multiple step as such, it's just those calculations on medify which take ages to type in the calculator because they are large numbers and there are so many numbers to add up. I try estimating a bit but the answers choices are too close together sometimes
Tbh when I find a difficult set I usually just skip most of the questions and guess, otherwise don't have time to finish
Thanks for the help :smile: will do some of the 600q book then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1599
Original post by ooxbridge
Good luck to you too! :wink:
How much prep have you done so far? :eek:

Well, not like full on revision but I have been doing a few questions off the 600ukcat book.

I've had a lot on but hopefully, from tomorrow I should get cracking - hardcore :smile:

You?

Latest

Trending

Trending