The Student Room Group

How do you feel about transgender rights?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Musie Suzie
Are there really that many cases where a person identifies as the opposite gender but is happy having the body of the opposite gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean not wanting to go through multiple painful and extensive surgeries to change their body to match, and all the associated risks? I know quite a few actually.

Original post by matthewduncan
I think they are freaks and it shouldnt be allowed

I'm sure they feel the same way about you.
Reply 41
Are there really that many cases where a person identifies as the opposite gender but is happy having the body of the opposite gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I have heard, plenty of transwomen are happy keeping their penis. They either deem the alternative to be unsatisfactory (as explained by mmmpie) or they simply don't feel that changing their genitals is part of their own process. You can't see whether someone has a penis or a vagina when they have clothes on, after all, and there are plenty of people who are still interested in having a relationship with someone who looks like and identifies as a woman but who has a penis.
Original post by mmmpie
You mean not wanting to go through multiple painful and extensive surgeries to change their body to match, and all the associated risks? I know quite a few actually.

I don't think that's the same thing as being happy in the body they were born with, which is what I asked about.
Original post by Ronove
From what I have heard, plenty of transwomen are happy keeping their penis. They either deem the alternative to be unsatisfactory (as explained by mmmpie) or they simply don't feel that changing their genitals is part of their own process. You can't see whether someone has a penis or a vagina when they have clothes on, after all, and there are plenty of people who are still interested in having a relationship with someone who looks like and identifies as a woman but who has a penis.

Yeah, that's cool, but still not quite what I was asking. When I said happy in the body of the opposite gender I meant the whole thing, so still looking recognisably/typically male.
Yeah, that's cool, but still not quite what I was asking. When I said happy in the body of the opposite gender I meant the whole thing, so still looking recognisably/typically male.

A transwoman probably shouldn't walk into a woman's changing room with a full beard dressed like a builder, but sometimes it isn't possible to look 'passable'. As long as she is making an effort to present as feminine, it doesn't seem fair to make her put her life at risk in the men's changing room. It also isn't fair to expect transwomen to undergo expensive and dangerous surgery before allowing them the basic human dignity of being allowed to use the right changing room.

I do, however, think that before suing an establishment for discrimination upon being asked to leave a changing room, she had better have some proof that she's been to a gender therapist. If she is female identified but still presenting as masculine, that also is iffy because then how can anyone tell if she is a pervert or if she's a woman?

To be on the safe side, though I am loathe to tell anyone how they ought to dress, I would suggest that transwomen invest in lipstick, some form of hair removal, a wig or preferably just grow their hair out, and traditional feminine attire.

In a perfect world, transwomen would be able to rock pixie cuts, but because there are perverted men who exist that would take advantage of policy made to assist transpeople (much in the way that some able people take advantage of handicap parking by bribing their doctors to give them handicap placards), it is better if they were as feminine as possible. But, you can't fault a transwoman for the parts of her anatomy that she cannot change.

Also, when I was presenting as a butch lesbian I got some stares from women in changing rooms, so I don't think a cisgender male could walk into a women's changing room without being noticed.
Original post by Ronove
And this somehow means that the general perception that they're all/most like this is correct? How long has your dad identified as a transgender woman? I'm not sure how much point there is in HRT after a certain age. If it's given before puberty sets in though (or rather, after artifically halting puberty until the person is old enough to know what they want), the results are absolutely insane.

He's identified that way for over a year, openly. He was 45.

Before puberty sets in? Can anyone really know at that age?

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Your father identifies as a trans woman but you still insist in using masculine pronouns...maybe he prefers you to but that seems to be unlikely to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's happy for us to still call him "dad" if we want to :dontknow:
Reply 46
Original post by snowyowl
He's identified that way for over a year, openly. He was 45.

Before puberty sets in? Can anyone really know at that age?

It would appear that a great, great many do. There's an interesting TED talk that was put up on their youtube channel recently about the work being done with teens. It's quite well-established in the Netherlands. They have the ability to halt puberty so the kids have time (several years) to work out what they want, and then they can either allow their natural puberty to happen or they can begin HRT.
Original post by Ronove
It would appear that a great, great many do. There's an interesting TED talk that was put up on their youtube channel recently about the work being done with teens. It's quite well-established in the Netherlands. They have the ability to halt puberty so the kids have time (several years) to work out what they want, and then they can either allow their natural puberty to happen or they can begin HRT.

Something about it just still doesn't sit right with me, but... I guess that's my problem.
Transgender is not natural and is an abomination which should not be tolerated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it isn't natural, then why are so many people born transgender?
Original post by mariocasas
Why would a biological woman be uncomfortable? If they're uncomfortable with a transgender woman then how do they feel about butch women or tomboys? Are they going to report those kind of women?

I think this whole debate is stupid because women never feel comfortable enough to get naked in the changing rooms anyway regardless of whether there are any butch women/transgender people present.
Original post by mmmpie

I'm sure they feel the same way about you.

LMAO are you for real?
Original post by arkhamz
LMAO are you for real?

I'm pretty sure he was quite serious.

Bold: Doesn't matter. Something being natural or not do not affect its moral value.

Italics: what is your basis for that silly claim? :lol:

Underlined: again...based on? :rolleyes:
I identify as a man, and I'm protected by law against discrimination from people that "feel uncomfortable" about me.

It is 2014. This is not Victorian England. Trans people aren't going anywhere, so I guess differently gendered people will just have to be tolerated along with the rest of the people who are protected under the equality act :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's people like you that make trans people afraid of being honest with the unwashed masses (i.e. you).

"I know what a man looks like. You don't look like a man. I do not understand this, therefore it makes me angry."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending