The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Mathematics

So earlier this week I was doing Integration C2 (in class), and to check my answer(s) I used the Integral function available on the calculator: fx-991 es plus (casio), and my teacher said "this isn't allowed to be used in the Exam, so why are you using it?". I told him symbolic Integration isn't allowed, and therefore i'm in rights to use it, he said "No your not allowed", and according to them (head of maths, and teacher) Apparently it's "cheating"... Anyways so the whole class gave me a *******ing for having that calculator and they didn't... So am I in the the wrong, I think i'm in the right, my friends used it in other Schools, why didn't they get disqualified? Am I in the wrong?

I LIVE IN ENGLAND FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO KNOW!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Cool-Light
So earlier this week I was doing Integration C2 (in class), and to check my answer(s) I used the Integral function available on the calculator: fx-991 es plus (casio), and my teacher said "this isn't allowed to be used in the Exam, so why are you using it?". I told him symbolic Integration isn't allowed, and therefore i'm in rights to use it, he said "No your not allowed", and according to them (head of maths, and teacher) Apparently it's "cheating"... Anyways so the whole class gave me a *******ing for having that calculator and they didn't... So am I in the the wrong, I think i'm in the right, my friends used it in other Schools, why didn't they get disqualified? Am I in the wrong?

No. You're allowed to use it, so long as it's numerical integration.

dude i dont know which country you are sititng the exam in but here in Kenya all is legal.. the teachers don't give a sh*t which calc u use..however u screwed up by telling the teacher because it actually isnt allowed to use!

No it's absolutely fine.

Here are the JCQ instructions - the calculator rules are in section 7 on page 14.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations/instructions-for-conducting-examinations-2013-2014-bookmarked-version
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
The issue with going straight to the answer by using a calculator is that a wrong answer from a slip causes you to lose every mark: by going through it on paper you can still pick up a few method marks :smile: using the integral button should really be used as a check rather than solving it... I don't use one because I know I'd lose any ability to integrate without one :P
Reply 5
Original post by AKell17
The issue with going straight to the answer by using a calculator is that a wrong answer from a slip causes you to lose every mark: by going through it on paper you can still pick up a few method marks :smile: using the integral button should really be used as a check rather than solving it... I don't use one because I know I'd lose any ability to integrate without one :P

I'm pretty sure if u just integrated a function without no working out what so ever no Marks will awarded overall?
Reply 6
Hahaha wow this happened to me yesterday. The school decided to order graphical calculators (Ti-82) and I thought it was useless. My teacher asked me why I didn't want one and I said they aren't necessary, for some reason he thinks they are massively helpful. He then goes I don't think you are allowed that calculator and I go im pretty sure you are. Anyway he has emailed the head of maths about it hahaha what a ****.
I'm pretty sure if u just integrated a function without no working out what so ever no Marks will awarded overall?

You won't be able to do that and obtain the answer in the form required. Questions will be set in such a way that the use of your calculator does not confer an advantage.
Reply 8

Depends whether there are method (Ms) marks or award (As) in the mark scheme :smile: it is true that integration can often have a few method marks, but in some later modules its barely given a nod as its not what they're assessing
Reply 9

It's also common that they'll as for an answer in a form (like a root and a natural log), so that the number from integration doesn't count as an answer
Reply 10
Original post by Super199
Hahaha wow this happened to me yesterday. The school decided to order graphical calculators (Ti-82) and I thought it was useless. My teacher asked me why I didn't want one and I said they aren't necessary, for some reason he thinks they are massively helpful. He then goes I don't think you are allowed that calculator and I go im pretty sure you are. Anyway he has emailed the head of maths about it hahaha what a ****.

So is the calculator "ti-82" also allowed in the exam =D?
Reply 11
Original post by AKell17
It's also common that they'll as for an answer in a form (like a root and a natural log), so that the number from integration doesn't count as an answer

We had a mock january 2013 c2 edexcel. Question 8c im pretty sure you can use your calculator straight away and gain an answer. Not sure if you will be awarded the marks though.

I LIVE IN ENGLAND FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO KNOW!

Also direct your teachers to the information on Graham's emporium:

edexcelmaths.com

If they don't have a password for the site, they ought to have.

Looking under A level, Exemplification, Calculators there's a list of banned calculators which DOESN'T include the 991
As others have said, it is allowed if it only does numerical integration but you really need to check the pre-amble in your exam boards mark schemes.
I can't remember what other boards say, but Edexcel are very clear: "accuracy marks can only be awarded if the relevant method marks have been earned". There is no statement saying that a correct answer implies a correct method, so by just spamming it into your calculator and writing down a number you could lose all marks. As it should be! It is a useful check though - if I had it, I'd use it.

Quick Reply

Latest