The Student Room Group

Are you closer to your mum or dad?

Scroll to see replies

Neither LOL

My mum is kind of religious and distant- she's always praying (for what I don't know) and always thinks she's right. She shouts all the time and her hearing is really bad so she can't hear much and refuses to get it looked at. When you're audible to her, she accuses you of shouting. Her way is always correct and she can't accept being wrong. She hasn't worked for years so she's stuck and blames it on the fact that she's had children, even though the oldest one is close to 40. I don't hate her, but there's many more people I'd rather spend my time with.

My dad has been here for me financially, but not emotionally (I guess). He's a bit old school and slightly sexist and ageist. He comes and goes as he has houses in his home country so he'll be in Britain for around 1/3 of the year. Been like that for the past 12 years. He was around for the first 4 years I was alive, then he went back to his home country for 6 years to work there again so I didn't see much of him. He does try so I can't really knock him.

I feel like an island. Sure, I have family, but I feel like I'm on my own. Kinda strange feeling tbh
Reply 21
Neither. But, I'm not really the sort of person that gets close to anyone but I'm much more closer to my friends that them; it's not comparable.

They're both your typical overly strict African parents that place too much emphasise on behaving in manners that's acceptable to societal paradigm and education been the end all and be all of things that it made having a childhood really difficult. To play football or go cinema, I'd have to sneak out etc and I didn't play non-school competitive football until 6th form. Watching TV was always a challenge. This and the fact that they'd make the massive issue over the most mundane of things- once mum threatened to get me jailed for lying- meant that I just recluse myself away from any of them as form of defensive mechanism and this started at a fairly young age as well. So the medium to develop a close bond wasn't there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Had this thread recently.

A million times my mum. We're not that close. I'm just very apart from my dad. He's quite the wonker, being with him for more than a few minutes is exhausting.
Reply 23
My mum, but I have more in common with my dad.
Neither! As a girl I'm closer to my mum because there are some things she'll understand that I could never tell my dad.

But my dad is more patient and less stubborn than my mum so he's nicer to have conversations with.
Reply 25
Equally distant to both of them. I've never particularly been close to them anyway as I've always been closer to my paternal grandparents and maternal grandfather. Dad is close to the younger sister while mum is close to the elder brother. Both are equally close to all my kids though.
Reply 26
Definitely my mother, even though we argue like it's going out of fashion at times. Relationship with dad isn't frosty, he's just not an emotional/expressive kind of guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor old dads are taking a bit of a pounding in the popular vote.
:frown:
Haven't seen or spoken to my Dad in 10 years. You do the math.
I used to be a daddy's girl. I would follow him around and I would go to work with him sometimes. But I don't see much of him anymore, and now I'm closer with my mum. We sometimes end up talking for hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamieTT
It's mum for me.:h:

why 'neither' is not in the option?
The results confirm the common belief that sons get on better with mums and daughters get on better with dads
Reply 32
Original post by donutaud15
why 'neither' is not in the option?

Because I said so :colonhash:
Mum. My dad is dead, but I didn't really know him anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
my dad.although close to both thankfully
Reply 35
Was my mum but she passed away. Quite close to my Dad though, we have similar personalities etc.
I don't think I'm all that close to either of them, but still probably closer to my mum, I used to be but I don't think they understand me tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think either of them really like me that much TBH :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neither at the moment.. but I feel that my dad understands me more.
Reply 39
Daddy's princess.. :smile:
though i love both equally but being a loner that i am, i share everything with papa..

it is usually said a girl is always more close her dad and a is more close to mum..

Quick Reply

Latest