The Student Room Group

Parents arguing

Hello.
So my parents have quite a weirs difficult relationship. To be fair we barely see a family more like we just live together.
essentially my mum and dad will argue quite a lot andin the heat of this, they will bad mouth each other, swear, shout, throw stuff on the floor etc and my dad will say he'll leave the house and never come back, he'll say let's get divorced, mum will say she'll Leave or Cam make threats to hurt herself.
like today everything was fine then all of the sudden from 'mum not liking what dad was wearing ' they argued threw stuff and then walked off and dad was like saying to me 'you coming with me or mum '. But then after they've argued they Judy won't talk to each other ignore each other. Dad will Just carry on watching TV go on phone and tell me to do whatever he wants doing, mum will do some stuff but neglect things to do with herself so won't eat, go to sleep (as they have to then share bed) etc..mun will like want attention or love from dad which he then doesnt give. Like I'm there trying to pacify my mum, encouraging her to eat etc and it won't make a difference to dad. My mum in the past has not taken to things very well and has ran away from the house etc hurt herself so with that it increases my anxiety a lot because I'm constantly like will she keep herself safe, trying to get her to eat something etc and it takes a lot out of he makes me feel upset at obviously she means a lot to me, don't like seeing her like that and then feel annoyrd towards dad that he doesn't seem to care etc... I'll say to him go to mum and he'll be like i can't be bothered don't see the point, we'll patch up then argue again..
dad is also a very religious person and this will also cause a lot of arguments and we'll ask wider family relationship issues.
how do you cope in this situation?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello.
So my parents have quite a weirs difficult relationship. To be fair we barely see a family more like we just live together.
essentially my mum and dad will argue quite a lot andin the heat of this, they will bad mouth each other, swear, shout, throw stuff on the floor etc and my dad will say he'll leave the house and never come back, he'll say let's get divorced, mum will say she'll Leave or Cam make threats to hurt herself.
like today everything was fine then all of the sudden from 'mum not liking what dad was wearing ' they argued threw stuff and then walked off and dad was like saying to me 'you coming with me or mum '. But then after they've argued they Judy won't talk to each other ignore each other. Dad will Just carry on watching TV go on phone and tell me to do whatever he wants doing, mum will do some stuff but neglect things to do with herself so won't eat, go to sleep (as they have to then share bed) etc..mun will like want attention or love from dad which he then doesnt give. Like I'm there trying to pacify my mum, encouraging her to eat etc and it won't make a difference to dad. My mum in the past has not taken to things very well and has ran away from the house etc hurt herself so with that it increases my anxiety a lot because I'm constantly like will she keep herself safe, trying to get her to eat something etc and it takes a lot out of he makes me feel upset at obviously she means a lot to me, don't like seeing her like that and then feel annoyrd towards dad that he doesn't seem to care etc... I'll say to him go to mum and he'll be like i can't be bothered don't see the point, we'll patch up then argue again..
dad is also a very religious person and this will also cause a lot of arguments and we'll ask wider family relationship issues.
how do you cope in this situation?

Its sad that you are having to ask how to cope, you must've been struggling a lot. I just want you to understand that its not your fault. Perhaps sometimes you may think its your fault or perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned something that set off a fight etc but know that its their state of mind, their thoughts and their insecurities that cause them to find problems in things even from small things, small things become triggers for them. You as a child are not responsible. You are doing your best and you have a heart to help them to protect and that is hard on you but you have been trying and you are trying your best. Please don't push yourself or take it upon your shoulders to bear their problems. It may help to find a place or people a friend you can talk to or simply just spend time with to feel at peace within yourself. You need it. You need time for yourself and not just be in a high alert protective mode always. I pray and I truly hope with all my heart for you and your family. Dont lose your heart of love. Its precious.
Reply 2
Thanks for reply.. I'm. An adult though 23.its just horrible listening and seeing if all. And given the past incidents with my mum it scars me in case she doesn if again
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for reply.. I'm. An adult though 23.its just horrible listening and seeing if all. And given the past incidents with my mum it scars me in case she doesn if again

I didnt mean as in you are a child but you being their child. Is it possible for your mum to recieve help for her mental health? It could help to discuss with a GP perhaps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending