The Student Room Group

Failed uni or got a 2.3 ?

Im just wondering for anyone who failed uni or got a third what did you do ?

did you get a job and how did it affect you ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
A 2:3?!
There's no such thing as a 2.iii, but you do get a 3rd or graduating without honours. I think that in fields other than the physical sciences you are fairly screwed if you get less than a 2.i, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that dream job with a 3rd.
Reply 3
Troll?
Even if you fail or get a bad grade... the experience isn't wasted... assuming you actually learned something... became more confident, better communication skills, essay writing etc.
Maybe the course just wasn't suited to the individual. I suppose as long as you highlight the positives (that you completed your course), and what you gained, should be fine for non-graduate employment.
Reply 5
Try something else..... It aint the end of the world.........

Theres always Mc Donalds
Reply 6
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
There's no such thing as a 2.iii, but you do get a 3rd or graduating without honours. I think that in fields other than the physical sciences you are fairly screwed if you get less than a 2.i, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that dream job with a 3rd.

Can you re-take the year or your degree ?
Original post by IMBCFC
Can you re-take the year or your degree ?

No.
Reply 8
No.

Why not ?
2:3??? No such thing!
Original post by DancinBallerina
2:3??? No such thing!

Strong bump from a mod:biggrin:
Original post by King Leonidas
Strong bump from a mod:biggrin:

Always; the best of the best of the best :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. . . .

(Didn;t realise the date on the thread :facepalm:)
Reply 12

depends where you get your 3rd from, you get a third from oxford or warwick university still better than some other university degrees that people get a first from. bet not many people knew that was actually true. universities probably forgot to mention that little detail.
Original post by cool-guy
depends where you get your 3rd from, you get a third from oxford or warwick university still better than some other university degrees that people get a first from. bet not many people knew that was actually true. universities probably forgot to mention that little detail.

But why shouldnt it be the opposite as someone could think oh Oxford great uni, great facilities and lecturers, but the person didnt achieve but they had a good chance but blew it. On the other hand from a uni like Leeds Met, they would think oh the uni is not so good therefore it may not be that persons fault ?
Original post by cool-guy

That sort of person would have got whatever job they end up in regardless of them going to uni though as serious networking is the only way to overcome such a pathetic result. Besides, like the OP has said: Who wants an Oxbridge grad that has a 3rd?
That sort of person would have got whatever job they end up in regardless of them going to uni though as serious networking is the only way to overcome such a pathetic result. Besides, like the OP has said: Who wants an Oxbridge grad that has a 3rd?

What do you mean by serious networking is the only way to overcome ?
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you mean by serious networking is the only way to overcome ?

i.e., it becomes necessary to know the right people.
I'm gonna do the sensible thing and assume the title is a typo.
You can retake any failed modules the following year but they'll be capped at 40% unless you have mitigating circumstances so it will often still result in a third.
Apply for entry level jobs that don't require a degree. A step down when you do technically have a degree, but if you work hard you can still end up with a decent job.
Reply 19

lots of people just want someone who went to Cambridge or oxford. highly ranked universities. better university than Bradford, Sheffield, leeds. just saying that going to a certain university matters? 3rds matter too just depends which university what kind of experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending