The Student Room Group

will I be kicked out of uni if I fail my resits?

I am studying for resits but if I was to fail these would I be withdrawn?
Original post by Anonymous

Their is a decent chance. It’s hard to say exactly.

sometimes they offer a resit year other times they just withdraw. It may depend on the course requirements, the faculty policies, how many failed credits...
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Their is a decent chance. It’s hard to say exactly.

sometimes they offer a resit year other times they just withdraw. It may depend on the course requirements, the faculty policies, how many failed credits...

It's sort of like I'm taking a gamble if I take the exams I could be uni-less if I don't it's an extra year
It's sort of like I'm taking a gamble if I take the exams I could be uni-less if I don't it's an extra year

Study hard and pass them.
You'd have to have a damn good reason to be able to retake even after resits
Reply 5
Original post by WazzWazz98
You'd have to have a damn good reason to be able to retake even after resits

I was told the september resits would be considered first attempts
I was told the september resits would be considered first attempts

Oh good, you've had ample time to prepare though so no reason why you should fail
Was it mitigating circumstances or something then ?
You're certainly making your life a million times harder if you don't pass though that's for sure
Reply 7
Original post by WazzWazz98
Oh good, you've had ample time to prepare though so no reason why you should fail
Was it mitigating circumstances or something then ?
You're certainly making your life a million times harder if you don't pass though that's for sure

yes it was mitigating circumstances so would a resit be an option if this counts as a first attempt?
yes it was mitigating circumstances so would a resit be an option if this counts as a first attempt?

If you need to resit, you'd probably have to do those next summer, so potentially waiting a year to resume your studies. You need to ask your university if this would be the case.
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you need to resit, you'd probably have to do those next summer, so potentially waiting a year to resume your studies. You need to ask your university if this would be the case.

I have only completed one exam so far, if I was to contact them and ask to have them moved to next year would this be possible?
If they are your final attempt at resits(I know some unis/courses let you resit more than once) then you will likely be kicked off your course but if they aren't your final resits then you wont be kicked off
Original post by flamingolover
If they are your final attempt at resits(I know some unis/courses let you resit more than once) then you will likely be kicked off your course but if they aren't your final resits then you wont be kicked off

I've been told they count as first attempts as I didn't really sitthem in June
I've been told they count as first attempts as I didn't really sitthem in June

Then you probably won't be kicked out. Best thing to do is contact the uni and get some clarification
I have only completed one exam so far, if I was to contact them and ask to have them moved to next year would this be possible?

You can ask, but don't expect a positive answer. They don't usually allow you to pick and choose your deadlines.
Reply 14

--From someone who already failed the resits--YES you would be required to withdraw.
I defered my 2021 exam from Jun to Aug and failed 2 modules. I did resits in June this year but still failed them, and uni's decision was to ask me to withdraw. I am Currently trying to find opportunities to retake 2nd yr or transfer to another major.
Reply 15
For my uni in HK, we have a more lenient system but it is already the toughest in HK.
If you fail a required module twice, you are at risk of getting kicked out, but if you fail a third time you will certainly get kicked out. At the same time, if your GPA falls to below 1.7 at the end of a term (max is 4.3) you will get a warning letter, and if it is below 1.5 you will be placed on probation, being forced to cut your study load. But if you remain below 1.5 after three straight terms, you will get kicked out.
For quite a lot of modules in my university, the average grade is a 2:2 (2.3-2.7, or C+/B-), and there are some cases that the average is equivalent to a 3rd in the UK (like a first year calculus class I took, someone got a C-, or 1.7, despite being above average), so if you have half of your modules below average and the rest around average, you may still get a warning letter. This is insane. However, a 2:1 at my university is considered an achievement, and a first means you are the top 10% in the cohort, compared to 2:1 is the norm in the UK. Those people with a high 2:1 in my university may be comparable to those who have a first in a typical UK university, while those with a 2:2 would have mostly gotten a 2:1 in the UK. Those with a first would have been in contention for the top rank in the UK.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Original post by mlmq
--From someone who already failed the resits--YES you would be required to withdraw.
I defered my 2021 exam from Jun to Aug and failed 2 modules. I did resits in June this year but still failed them, and uni's decision was to ask me to withdraw. I am Currently trying to find opportunities to retake 2nd yr or transfer to another major.

Hi how many resits did u have to do
Reply 17
Original post by mlmq

Hi but what was your reason for being able to defer your exams , I submitted extenuating circumstances for bereavement of my grandmother I explained how she raised me and I was unable to be there with my family as I’m an international student . Would it be possible to defer in my case or given another resit attempt ? The faculty panel has already accepted it but the decision remains with the board
Hi, If I may ask, what uni are you in and what happened in regards to taking your 2nd year again?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending