The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3 Solomon, paper K, Question 4b

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 8.14.12 pm.png

Does anybody know what "contradiction to prove" means?
If so is this question type outside of the Edexcel C3 syllabus?
It means assuming the statement is true and then hitting a dead end. I believe it's in the syllabus but I don't think it's ever come up in a past paper before.
Original post by Dilzo999
It means assuming the statement is true and then hitting a dead end. I believe it's in the syllabus but I don't think it's ever come up in a past paper before.

So should I go and read the book called "book of prove" to get everything sorted out if this type of question does come up?
Reply 3
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 8.14.12 pm.png

Does anybody know what "contradiction to prove" means?

It means assuming the opposite of what you're trying to prove, and then proving that this assumption leads to a contradiction and therefore cannot be true. If the opposite cannot be true, then the original statement must be.

In this case, assume log23log_2{3} is rational and see where it leads you...

If you haven't made any progress, a rational number is of the form pq\frac{p}{q} where p,qZp,q \in \mathbb{Z} and q0q \neq 0.
Original post by Kotoamatsukami
If you haven't made any progress, a rational number is of the form pq\frac{p}{q} where p,qZp,q \in \mathbb{Z} and q0q \neq 0.

I asked my tutor and he gave me a prove. However Im still studying it because 2014 is the last series before the syllabus change in 2015.
I asked my tutor and he gave me a prove. However Im still studying it because 2014 is the last series before the syllabus change in 2015.

I am not sure what you mean

But, if you have not started A Levels yet - A level Maths is not changing in 2015 it is changing in 2016

When do you expect to start your A levels
Original post by TenOfThem
I am not sure what you mean

But, if you have not started A Levels yet - A level Maths is not changing in 2015 it is changing in 2016

When do you expect to start your A levels

Im finishing it this year. Taking C34, FP23, D12 this year. VERY Stressed!!!
Im finishing it this year. Taking C34, FP23, D12 this year. VERY Stressed!!!

ok

Then proof by contradiction may be required but, as has been said - it is unlikely

Quick Reply

Latest