The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Mechanics 2 (M2) 19th May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I actually quite liked this paper, and have done a LOT better than on past papers :P just the force from the hints I really don't think I got right, but I'm dead pleased with myself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dada55
Going by this, I think I got 68/72 too. I messed up the question on 2) iii). I knew I should have done 1-y coordinate, but I took very long on question 1 and 2 and was stressed out, so when I did the final arctan on my calculator, I used the wrong saved value.
I didn't have time to check it and because I used a long and stupid method with no diagram, I'll definitely lose all marks on this question.

it was 4 marks right?

Also Q 2i) didn't it just ask you to work out the Z coordinate? or did it ask for all of them? I might have misread the question if its all of them as I only worked out the Z coordinate. that might be 2 more marks gone if so.

that question was 5 marks but i doubt you'll have lost all 5 as you got the z value correct and yes you're right about 2i. doubt they'll drop me any marks for giving more than they asked for though lol.

how many marks do you think it was out of 72 for a standardised 100%?
i thought the paper was hard! did last years paper and only dropped 5 marks, but that didn't go well at all :frown:
show working for 4B power question since i obtained a tenth of your values.
Original post by chizz1889
right so that exam went okay for me, hopefully something like 68/72!

my answers are as follows:
1.a) i) I know i got the diagram right
ii) i got 1/12 u towards the left ( same direction as before) (edit: i also got 5/16 for coefficient of restitution)
b) i) v=8 u=9
ii) 87J

2. i) by symmetry x co-ord = 0 & y co-ord = 0.5a. worked out z co-ord to be 0.4a.
ii) (0, 9/16 a, 5/8 a)
iii) 35 degrees
iv) i got all the term correct for this but somehow miscalculated the answer -.- should have been 0.342 and achieved by (4mg-16m)/(4root3 *mg)

3. a) i) y=20 x=0 r=80
ii)ac is thrust, ab tension, bc thrust plus all external forces.
iii) Tbc = 40 root 3
Tba = 20 root 3
Tac = 40
b) i) P = 148
ii) Q = 168
then resolved vertically correct but horizontally incorrect so I got final pivot force wrong (final answer should have been 278N i think)

4. a) i) show eke to be 1377.8 and mgh=1372 . 1377.8>1372 blah blah blah
ii) got v to be 8.27 m/s
iii) got 1.75 m above ground
b) got P = 30,000W and F=600N.

I've got writings of my working if anybody wants to cross reference :-)

ii) i got 1/12 u towards the left ( same direction as before) (edit: i also got 5/16 for coefficient of restitution)
b) i) v=8 u=9
ii) 87J

2. i) by symmetry x co-ord = 0 & y co-ord = 0.5a. worked out z co-ord to be 0.4a.
ii) (0, 9/16 a, 5/8 a)
iii) 35 degrees
iv) i got all the term correct for this but somehow miscalculated the answer -.- should have been 0.342 and achieved by (4mg-16m)/(4root3 *mg)

3. a) i) y=20 x=0 r=80
iii) Tbc = 40 root 3
Tba = 20 root 3
Tac = 40
b) i) P = 148
ii) Q = 168
then resolved vertically correct but horizontally incorrect so I got final pivot force wrong (final answer should have been 278N i think)

ii) got v to be 8.27 m/s

Reply 185
Original post by JaySP
Well, I didn't even attempt a quarter of the paper, so I'm doing my bit at lowering the grade boundaries for you. 😂😥

I love your attitude!
Original post by anomalous Nigz

P = 50F when at constant velocity therefore retarding force is P/50.
when p reduced by 20% acc is -0.08 so F=m.a = 1500*-0.08 = -120N
0.8 * P = 2P/125
P/50 - 2P/125 = 120
2.5P - 2P = 15000
0.5P =15000
P = 30,000W therefore 30,000/50 = 600N (F)
P = 50F when at constant velocity therefore retarding force is P/50.
when p reduced by 20% acc is -0.08 so F=m.a = 1500*-0.08 = -120N
0.8 * P = 2P/125
P/50 - 2P/125 = 120
2.5P - 2P = 15000
0.5P =15000
P = 30,000W therefore 30,000/50 = 600N (F)

Nice one, lost those marks so that is 19 marks now, hooo my god my life is over, warwick has literally goneeeee :'(((((((((((((((((((

b) i) v=8 u=9
ii) 87J

ii) (0, 9/16 a, 5/8 a)
iii) 35 degrees

3. a) i) y=20 x=0 r=80
iii) Tbc = 40 root 3
Tba = 20 root 3
Tac = 40
b) i) P = 148
ii) Q = 168

ii) got v to be 8.27 m/s

Pretty sure this is all correct and the impulse in 1aii was 7.5u I think :smile:
Original post by abdcefghi
Pretty sure this is all correct and the impulse in 1aii was 7.5u I think :smile:

yes i got 7.5u too, forgot that bit!
that question was 5 marks but i doubt you'll have lost all 5 as you got the z value correct and yes you're right about 2i. doubt they'll drop me any marks for giving more than they asked for though lol.

how many marks do you think it was out of 72 for a standardised 100%?

If the examiner bothers to read all my jumble and understand what I did, maybe I'll get a mark or so but I don't think they'll understand anything, I though what I was doing was wrong, so didn't put much effort into it as I felt like I was running out of time. Came out of the exam and realised although my method was long winded, if I had used the correct value 1-y I would of got 35 anyway.

I did do all MEI past papers from June 2006 but I haven't been checking the grade boundaries, so I don't have much of an idea. The problem with this paper is that most of Q3 and Q4 weren't very hard while Q1 and Q2 shouldn't have been hard but all the algebra would have definitely put people off, like it did to me and cause silly mistakes.

For this reason I think that the standardisation will be weird. e.g. you would need lower marks to get B and C but A and A* will be roughly as should be or slightly lower. I don't understand how MEI works out 100% UMS but I'll be happy with above 90.
okay guys, this exam went quite badly for me. ive got between 45 (worst case scenario assuming i get no follow through or method marks) and 52 (assuming some follow through and some method marks) marks. honestly, whats my chances of slipping into the a boundary? :/
and what do you think are the chances of getting some follow through on question 1 for getting the speed wrong right at the start? :/ out of the 6 i think i might get 3. 1 for diagram, 1 method mark for doing conservation of momentum and 1 for using my incorrect speed in the correct way to find e?
also, if my method is correct but my speed is incorrect in 4 a)ii) will i get 1 or 2 out of the three marks?
Did Pythagoras wrong on 4ii on length BC all of my method except that was correct, reckon I'll be able to bag some marks anyone :smile:?
Original post by dada55
If the examiner bothers to read all my jumble and understand what I did, maybe I'll get a mark or so but I don't think they'll understand anything, I though what I was doing was wrong, so didn't put much effort into it as I felt like I was running out of time. Came out of the exam and realised although my method was long winded, if I had used the correct value 1-y I would of got 35 anyway.

I did do all MEI past papers from June 2006 but I haven't been checking the grade boundaries, so I don't have much of an idea. The problem with this paper is that most of Q3 and Q4 weren't very hard while Q1 and Q2 shouldn't have been hard but all the algebra would have definitely put people off, like it did to me and cause silly mistakes.

For this reason I think that the standardisation will be weird. e.g. you would need lower marks to get B and C but A and A* will be roughly as should be or slightly lower. I don't understand how MEI works out 100% UMS but I'll be happy with above 90.

yeah i think i agree with you, and from what my teacher says they usually put 100% UMS at about 69/70 if the paper is really difficult which it was in fairness due to the complexity of the algebra. This was definately my hardest AS exam, I had to sit it straight after my C1. Don't think you could get such opposite difficulties in Y12 lol
yes i got 7.5u too, forgot that bit!

I put it as -7.5u is that still right? Since the momentum of Q decreased?
Original post by mathematigeek
okay guys, this exam went quite badly for me. ive got between 45 (worst case scenario assuming i get no follow through or method marks) and 52 (assuming some follow through and some method marks) marks. honestly, whats my chances of slipping into the a boundary? :/
and what do you think are the chances of getting some follow through on question 1 for getting the speed wrong right at the start? :/ out of the 6 i think i might get 3. 1 for diagram, 1 method mark for doing conservation of momentum and 1 for using my incorrect speed in the correct way to find e?
also, if my method is correct but my speed is incorrect in 4 a)ii) will i get 1 or 2 out of the three marks?

I think 3/6 marks is reasonable, you should get all the method marks and miss out on the final few.

In 4)a)ii) I think you'd probably get 1, based on past papers I think it would be like 1 mark for attempting to use the correct method (e.g. moments about A or whatever) and then 1 is for all correct terms, then final for correct answer.
Original post by theCreator
I put it as -7.5u is that still right? Since the momentum of Q decreased?

I think it would depend on which way you defined as the positive direction of momentum in your diagram and which way round you put the objects, so either positive or negative can be correct, it just has to be consistent with the structure of earlier working :smile:
Original post by theCreator
I think 3/6 marks is reasonable, you should get all the method marks and miss out on the final few.

In 4)a)ii) I think you'd probably get 1, based on past papers I think it would be like 1 mark for attempting to use the correct method (e.g. moments about A or whatever) and then 1 is for all correct terms, then final for correct answer.

thank you :smile: thats not so bad then :/ i feel like such an idiot :'( do you think i have any chance of creeping into the a? :frown:
I think it would depend on which way you defined as the positive direction of momentum in your diagram and which way round you put the objects, so either positive or negative can be correct, it just has to be consistent with the structure of earlier working :smile:

Phew. Also, do you think I'd get follow through marks from 1)b)i) to 1)b)ii) ? I confused myself with the masses and used 5kg instead of 3kg for one of the particles, how many marks do you think I would lose for that, and would there be follow through for my change in kinetic energy? Thanks alot :smile:
does anybody think that 47-53 marks is enough for an a/ a high b in this paper? :'( otherwise i can kiss goodbye to warwick :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending