The Student Room Group

The 'What do you think of my website' thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by estel
Imo your responsive design is getting rid of your menu elements far too soon: all of the menu elements are happily visible right the way down to ~600px, and thereafter hiding all of them is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
The uneven margin left/right of the content is a bit weird.
Why do I need to give you my phone number or name when contacting you?
The blog archive/categories only appear on the mobile site for some reason.
Clicking "VBSI vs XFL" in the navbar throws me to the blog, which is pretty hierarchically confusing.

I do like the design lots though :yy:

I'm a sort of minimalist, I will minimize things to their minimum, but try to make it look good.

Uneven margin: fixed

Contact Form {removal of req. phone number}: fixed

Going to figure out where to put the archive/categories, possible the left, like it was before, or maybe the right. Current form is intended

I'm going to be moving it off the blog sometime soon.

Originally, everything was powered by the blog.
Reply 1781
I have made huge changes to my website since my last posting. Corporate Guru - www.corporateguru.org

Thanks a lot for your time! Really appreciate your efforts! :biggrin:
http://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign

A useful resource of things to avoid.
Reply 1783
Original post by ct2k7
I'm a sort of minimalist, I will minimize things to their minimum, but try to make it look good.

Sure, I absolutely understand that, but minimalism at the expense of usability takes it too far, imo.
Reply 1784
Original post by estel
Sure, I absolutely understand that, but minimalism at the expense of usability takes it too far, imo.

True, but it's still usable :redface: I think
Cant find the original post so sorry for duplicating this.

I have now updated my website so, take a look, tell me what you think. :smile:

danboii96.com
Reply 1786
That was an overwhelming color of blue - and not easy on the eye.

Try to give it some whitespace.
(edited 11 years ago)
Owww, my eyes!
Especially white on such a light shade of blue.

Try rethinking your colours- darker blue if you want white text, or black if you want the blue. But not a whole background of the same- try to find a tessellating pattern or some other appropriate background with tables if need be.
Reply 1788
And a small note, why the heck are you using phpBB on the forum?
Still looks like something a twelve year old with half a clue about HTML could do in an afternoon in 2002. And that colour is horrendous.
http://www.danboii96.com/Buttondl.png

Dimensions: 1280 x 520

Why?
Reply 1792
Think you could use some help with this..
www.outoffayz.com

It serves as a working repository of some summer projects I've decided to take on.

What's your overall opinion on the looks/content? She's been live for just two weeks now and has had a few thousand hits.
There's meant to be a Flickr feed at the bottom, but I cba to integrate my Twitter photos into there just yet.

I'm going to bring this up in a marketing interview I have coming up, but I'm unsure what an interviewers take would be on it. If I mention it and elaborate on it, d'ya think they'd take time to actually go on it?

If you could type 'Trigonometry Wars' into Google, scroll down to my link and click it, I'll take you to Nandos.
Reply 1794
Overall it looks good. The theme is most suitable for artists or photography.
i like it, it looks good and professional.. i'm not familiar with much of the content, but you seem to write well :biggrin:

the only thing i dont like too much is how you've got the two columns to the right with the twitter and categories etc.. i think it would look better if you put one column under the other so that it doesn't take up so much of the width, then you could increase the size of the images on the home page.. and in the individual article pages the extra space would allow you to make the main text wider and more centred, which i think would look nicer.. also maybe move the transparent black box which contains the main content a little lower down so that it doesn't overlap with the strip of grass in the background, that would make it look neater..
...but i'm no web designer, so i might be talking crap :lol:

i think your interviewers should definitely take time to look at the site
Hi I'm not sure whether this is in the right section of the forum as I am a brand new user to this forum (although I have read many threads before after they have poped up on Google searches).

I have recentely set up a new blog that is devoted to giving lessons to the audience (mainly at a GCSE level as that is what I am studying at the minute) and I wondered if you guys could take a look and give me some tips on how to make the site more helpful and more useable for other pupils to use and understand.

http://startyourlearning.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for any advice. :smile:
Original post by memomemootoo
i like it, it looks good and professional.. i'm not familiar with much of the content, but you seem to write well :biggrin:

the only thing i dont like too much is how you've got the two columns to the right with the twitter and categories etc.. i think it would look better if you put one column under the other so that it doesn't take up so much of the width, then you could increase the size of the images on the home page.. and in the individual article pages the extra space would allow you to make the main text wider and more centred, which i think would look nicer.. also maybe move the transparent black box which contains the main content a little lower down so that it doesn't overlap with the strip of grass in the background, that would make it look neater..
...but i'm no web designer, so i might be talking crap :lol:

i think your interviewers should definitely take time to look at the site

They did and I'm through to the second stage :biggrin:
Original post by outOfFayz
They did and I'm through to the second stage :biggrin:

coool, well done!! :borat:
Here
Still not complete - the homepage used to look like this, and the other pages matched up, but then I did an overhaul on the front page.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending