The Student Room Group

Medicine UCAS Extra for 2023

Medicine UCAS Extra for 2023 entry

UCAS Extra opened on 23/02/2023 and will close on 04/07/2023. This is where you can add an Extra choice once you have used up your original 5 choices. Click here for general UCAS Extra advice. Please don't lose hope, you're not alone! We're cheering you on :hugs:

Click here for Medicine Extra/Clearing thread for 2022 entry

Click here for Medicine Extra/Clearing thread for 2021 entry
Click here for Medicine Extra/Clearing thread for 2020 entry
Click here for Medicine Extra/Clearing thread for 2019 entry

The below information was taken from 2022 entry thread's first post (linked above):

List of med schools that were in UCAS Extra 2022
UCLan A100 for international students only https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...2#how-to-apply
Manchester A106 https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...micYearId=2022
Imperial A100 https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...micYearId=2022
Worcester A101 (confirmed: https://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/medicine-mbchb) Deadline was 15th April

See spoiler for Medical Schools that were in UCAS Extra for previous years:

Spoiler

Eligibility for UCAS Extra:
You would need to either have received 5 UCAS rejections or to have withdrawn from all 5 choices.
In the case of only using 4 choices initially, applying to a random course as your 5th choice and withdrawing in a few minutes after the choice has been processed, should make you eligible (speaking from personal experience - please share your advice if you think otherwise). Before applying to a medical school through UCAS Extra, please make confirm that Medical School is definitely in Extra Click here to find out more directly from the UCAS website.

What about UCAT?
If you sat UCAT in 2022, then you are required to use the same score for UCAS Extra.

How to keep updated on which Medical Schools are in UCAS Extra?
- The university's website course page - they usually state if they're in UCAS Extra or not
- Contact the Medical School to find out, either by email or telephone
- UCAS search tool - filter by course vacancies (this may not be reliable, so double check wesite or contact them)
- This thread

What's next?
If you are unable to receive an offer through UCAS Extra, UCAS Clearing will be your next step. This will open on 05/07/2023

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Latest Edit: 13/06/2023

I hope to keep this post updated with medical schools that are or are not in UCAS Extra based on information shared in this thread:

Medical Schools in UCAS Extra for 2023 entry:
Plymouth for international student only - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery

Medical Schools not in UCAS Extra for 2023 entry:
Glasgow
Manchester
St Andrews (error had been made, they are not in Extra)
Sunderland (another error)

Medical Schools stated here to not be in UCAS Extra may or may not change their mind - I cannot be 100% sure, so please do not rule them out when emailing them to see if they are entering Extra or not. Please do share if you find out a medical school is or isn't entering Extra! A copy of the email response excluding any personal details or a link to where they state they are in Extra would be amazing :hugs:
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by KA_P
Feel free to share your experience or any questions!

If you apply 4 uni for A100 and you get two offers can u apply for UCAS Clearing
Original post by curiousappa
If you apply 4 uni for A100 and you get two offers can u apply for UCAS Clearing

You would have to decline both offers to enter Clearing. However, if you want to browse other unis you should look at UCAS Extra before Clearing. Think carefully before making your choice, as you can’t reverse it later!
Original post by curiousappa

As above, you'd need to decline both A100 offers to enter Clearing and withdraw the other 3 choices. I personally would never recommend doing this if you're entering Clearing just to applying to another A100 course, as there's no guarantee of getting an offer. The entry requirements will usually be the same as it was for the normal application cycle.

Clearing is a platform for applicants who have exhausted all 5 choices (and UCAS Extra if they enter it) by 5th July. You would also require achieved A-Level grades - so year 13 applicants would need to wait until results day to apply through Clearing.

I hope this helps!
Reply 5
I don't think there are any medicine A100 courses available on Ucas extra - I emailed some unis that did it before and they all said no. Hopefully, I'm wrong and someone can correct me
Original post by isa04
I don't think there are any medicine A100 courses available on Ucas extra - I emailed some unis that did it before and they all said no. Hopefully, I'm wrong and someone can correct me

It might be more likely that some universities may wait until around April/May time to enter UCAS Extra
Reply 7
Original post by KA_P
It might be more likely that some universities may wait until around April/May time to enter UCAS Extra

Thank you I really do appreciate this mate
Original post by isa04
I emailed like 8 unis that did Ucas Extra before only Buckingham said yes but the tuition fees are 38 k a year (AKA wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooo much bro ) even for home students and everyone else said no and some said not even clearing

Unfortunately, there are low chances of Medical Schools entering Extra and Clearing, but in some cases they do. This is more likely to be around April/May time. I would keep an eye on the UCAS search tool and email again around that time to be sure
Original post by isa04
Thank you I really do appreciate this mate

No worries, best of luck! :h:
Reply 10
Original post by KA_P
Unfortunately, there are low chances of Medical Schools entering Extra and Clearing, but in some cases they do. This is more likely to be around April/May time. I would keep an eye on the UCAS search tool and email again around that time to be sure

ok that's a good game plan
Was Manchester in UCAS xtra last year ?
Original post by millie3004
Was Manchester in UCAS xtra last year ?

As shown in the first post, Manchester A106 was in Extra
Original post by KA_P
As shown in the first post, Manchester A106 was in Extra

Has anyone contacted them to see if they will be this year ?
Original post by millie3004
Has anyone contacted them to see if they will be this year ?

I think @isa04 might have emailed but you could get in touch with the uni as well to make sure.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
This is what they said

Good morning Isa,

Thank you for your interest in Manchester.

I am afraid Medicine does not go into Clearing or UCAS Extra. You will need to wait until September to apply for 2024 entry on UCAS.

I hope this answers your query.

Best wishes,

Caite

Undergraduate Admissions

School of Medical Sciences | Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health

The University of Manchester | Stopford Building | Oxford Road | Manchester M13 9PT
Does anyone know if Plymouth University, Glasgow university entering UCAS Extra this year?
Thanks in advance
Hi! Plymouth is in UCAS extra for international students on a first come first basis - its on their website i believe.

I have emailed Glasgow and I’m afraid they are not in UCAS extra or clearing - you will need to apply in September for 2024 entry.
Are there any Unis doing UCAS Extra for undergrad Medicine this year?
Original post by username5747555
Hi! Plymouth is in UCAS extra for international students on a first come first basis - its on their website i believe.

I have emailed Glasgow and I’m afraid they are not in UCAS extra or clearing - you will need to apply in September for 2024 entry.

Could you please provide a link to where you found this out on Plymouth's website? As well as a screenshot of the email from Glasgow excluding any personal details?
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending