The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel History Unit 2 Conflict & Change 19C & 20C (Option C) - May 22nd

Hey everyone :smile:

I didn't see a thread for this exam so I thought I'd make one.

I'm doing this unit "1860–1930: The Changing Position of Women and the Suffrage Question"

How're you all finding revision? And if you have any tips please share them with everybody :biggrin:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, we seem to be the only ones doing this unit on TSR. Anyway, we will help each other, haha!

So far, I haven't done much mainly because I have four other exams next week that are really stressing me out. I have made a plan to definitely write an essay tomorrow though. What about you?
Reply 2
I know! For a while I thought I might be the only person haha

Oh good luck with those! I've only got one other exam next week so luckily I can concentrate most of my time on this unit. I've made revision cards reminding myself of key dates and key people which was quite helpful. I'm also planning to do a question b this weekend, I just find it hard sometimes to fit enough knowledge in :/ and to write enough in the 1hr 20.
This seems like such an unpopular unit lol
I really struggle with the women exam; if you guys could give me any advice Id'd really appreciate it:smile:
Original post by florence1028
Hey everyone :smile:

I didn't see a thread for this exam so I thought I'd make one.

I'm doing this unit "1860–1930: The Changing Position of Women and the Suffrage Question"

How're you all finding revision? And if you have any tips please share them with everybody :biggrin:.

Ahh I finally found people doing this too! How are you getting along? The A style question should be a walk in the park as we dont need any own knowledge just source cross referencing!

But the B style I struggle with! How are you planning on memorising key dates/people?
Hey, so are you doing the Boer War/Crimean War/WW1 then :smile:?
I'm doing notes on the entire unit then gunna plan one or two questions for each section and write them up under time, looks like work or political groups could come up from what I've seen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
this is my second time doing this unit, the first time I got a B. this time i really need an A, but I'm finding it hard to get higher marks. Do you guys have any tips on how to get a high A on the essays?
I'm doing this exam/currently revising for it - doing poverty and public health 1830-75 which is looong and the dates are difficult to remember, even with having two big topics in unit 1 I found it a lot easier to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I hate this topic but my teacher gave some decent tips. After looking at all the exam papers, she thinks the topics could be (as they haven't come up before and such):

Class Issues, Enfranchisement in 1920s, Beale and Buss, Trade Unions (Clementina Black?), Speakers Conference, Liberal Government (not party), Conciliation Bills/Committee, Opposition to VFW (like the Men's League for Opposing Women's Suffrage), Disputes, Media, Technology.

I know this sounds like the whole unit, but technology and media for example have tiny little sections that might come up so I'm just giving them a bit more attention.

In terms of writing the B question, the mark scheme suggests you "reach and sustain a conclusion (throughout)", "develop reasoning of evidence" and "relate well to the focus of the question".
Then, interpret a point from 1 source which you can compare to an interpretation from other sources, and relate the point your making to the question, and use your own knowledge throughout this. Then suggest why one source might say this, and so it might not be 'as far'. Some common points to pull from the caption are:

- Big picture vs Small picture. Eg, historian focusing on marital rights from 1860-90 would have more focus than Martin Pugh and The March for the Women. The latter is good for answering the question, as yes there was a lot of change, but the former tells you the details, usually that there was more to do.
- Campaigners may remain hostile regardless of change. It's easy to say John Stuart Mill may have reason to be happy in 1869 as the Municipal Franchise Act was just passed, allowing some women to vote. But, it is much more likely he did not see it as enough change or fast enough, meaning he could be bias either way.
- The Times is often used. They were against women's votes but circulation was the most important thing to them, and so generally represented the opinion of the country as a whole.
- The acts were good on paper, but rarely enforced. Something about 4 of 55 women who applied for separation through courts were granted it even though they should have had it due to the Matrimonial Causes Acts. Can usually use that point when evaluating the opinion of writers of the source.

Hope this helps!

Reply 10
Hey guys, woo I’m so glad that someone started a thread and it’snot just my school doing this section!
· Section B is supposed to be a balance of yourown knowledge and the sources so make sure that you talk about both
· http://www.memrise.com/this is a really useful website that as you can probably guess from the name:helps you to memorise stuff! There are loads of different courses on there andyou don’t have to create an account to access them, but it is free to do thatand I would advise you do. The courses that I have found on there that arerelevant to this exam are ‘Britain and the Suffrage Question AS History’ (ithas a picture of an extremely depressed looking women whose name I don’t knowas its profile picture) and ‘Edexcel A level History Women’ (it has a pictureof Christabel Pankhurst and Annie Kenney holding up a Votes for Women poster).These two courses help you to memorise the different people, Acts and datesthat are important, but you obviously don’t have time to do both courses now soperhaps have a look at the content and decided which one is best for you andmost of the content overlaps anyway because the courses were made by differentpeople.
· Another good way to revise would be to useflashcards to make a timeline of important events. I have used pink flashcardsfor Acts and then white flashcards for everything else. When you first make yourtimeline only briefly outline what happened, then once you have finished andare going back over it you could add in more details which will help you to revise.You could also try shuffling up your timeline and then try and rearrange it byonly looking at the information side of the flashcard and then flip them allover when you’re done to see if you were right.
· You could also use flashcards to make profilesof important people and profiles of notable events, i.e. Black Friday.
Original post by Liam_thomas_96

We're doing the same paper but most of us on this thread are doing the women topic rather than the war one. But anything about technique is still relevant :smile:.
Original post by Maxeth
I hate this topic but my teacher gave some decent tips. After looking at all the exam papers, she thinks the topics could be (as they haven't come up before and such):

Class Issues, Enfranchisement in 1920s, Beale and Buss, Trade Unions (Clementina Black?), Speakers Conference, Liberal Government (not party), Conciliation Bills/Committee, Opposition to VFW (like the Men's League for Opposing Women's Suffrage), Disputes, Media, Technology.

I know this sounds like the whole unit, but technology and media for example have tiny little sections that might come up so I'm just giving them a bit more attention.

In terms of writing the B question, the mark scheme suggests you "reach and sustain a conclusion (throughout)", "develop reasoning of evidence" and "relate well to the focus of the question".
Then, interpret a point from 1 source which you can compare to an interpretation from other sources, and relate the point your making to the question, and use your own knowledge throughout this. Then suggest why one source might say this, and so it might not be 'as far'. Some common points to pull from the caption are:

- Big picture vs Small picture. Eg, historian focusing on marital rights from 1860-90 would have more focus than Martin Pugh and The March for the Women. The latter is good for answering the question, as yes there was a lot of change, but the former tells you the details, usually that there was more to do.
- Campaigners may remain hostile regardless of change. It's easy to say John Stuart Mill may have reason to be happy in 1869 as the Municipal Franchise Act was just passed, allowing some women to vote. But, it is much more likely he did not see it as enough change or fast enough, meaning he could be bias either way.
- The Times is often used. They were against women's votes but circulation was the most important thing to them, and so generally represented the opinion of the country as a whole.
- The acts were good on paper, but rarely enforced. Something about 4 of 55 women who applied for separation through courts were granted it even though they should have had it due to the Matrimonial Causes Acts. Can usually use that point when evaluating the opinion of writers of the source.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips :biggrin:

Opposition could be a good question but I have no idea what you'd write about technology and the media? Only thing I can think of is that technology helped women to get clerical jobs and the media helped gain public sympathy for the movement (after force feeding and black friday) but I think I'd struggle to fill a whole question b with that amount of knowledge :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by florence1028
Thanks for the tips :biggrin:

Opposition could be a good question but I have no idea what you'd write about technology and the media? Only thing I can think of is that technology helped women to get clerical jobs and the media helped gain public sympathy for the movement (after force feeding and black friday) but I think I'd struggle to fill a whole question b with that amount of knowledge :s-smilie:

Just remember facts about it, and how it had a wider impact. Technology began to open the world of work to many women, especially for the MC. This was significant because it tended to be the WC who worked before the Remington type writer in the 1800s or whatever. By MC working it did a number of things, like proving they could work and it also flexed the muscles of the acts introduced a little bit more than they would have been. Then there's all the stuff about the shops, where if they didn't work in those shops so much, then perhaps we wouldn't have seen the 1911 shops act and such, as the MC experienced it themselves and so campaigned. Just stuff like that.

The opposition is likely to be an A question if anything, I'd say. I wouldn't just focus on the opposition from the government as such, but the leagues and their tactics, ie, 'not offering the flamboyance of Emmeline Pankhurst but not caring'. Just venting here!
Women's Work hasn't come up for a while, does anyone think this might be the B question?
Original post by Liam_thomas_96

Yeah I'm doing it, if it helps :smile:
Is anyone doing poverty and public health 1830-75?? Someone to share the pain with maybe lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody doing C1 Crimea/boer/WW1? Can't seem to find a thread for it and any advice would be helpful! And anybody who can suggest any ideas as to what could come up would be appreciated as well!

Can anyone give me any more tips on structure that haven't been mentioned here? I have had to teach myself this unit from home due to illness and my sixth form has been quite inconsistent with the help they've given me! So I feel very unsure with question structure/layout/what to expect.
Original post by rebekahmchale
Anybody doing C1 Crimea/boer/WW1? Can't seem to find a thread for it and any advice would be helpful! And anybody who can suggest any ideas as to what could come up would be appreciated as well!

Can anyone give me any more tips on structure that haven't been mentioned here? I have had to teach myself this unit from home due to illness and my sixth form has been quite inconsistent with the help they've given me! So I feel very unsure with question structure/layout/what to expect.

For the b question just remember that it's 60/40 knowledge/analysis ratio so you have to use your knowledge with the sources to make an argument e.g source 10 reflects the view that public health was improving but it may not be reliable due to blah blah blah and that for source a you don't need any knowledge just understanding to analyse provenance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also doing Crimea/Boer/WWI
I did the exam last year, achieved a B, got my paper back and I am resitting tomorrow for an A...

For question a

Intro - state the views of the sources and your argument

Agree - explain how the sources support the view (cross reference) in the question using provenance to explore the how strong a support the sources are always relating back to the title

Disagree - explain how the sources challenge the view (cross reference) in the question using provenance to explore how strong a challenge the sources are always relating back to the title

I feel it is always good to back up your line of argument within these paragraphs, for example if you feel the sources as a whole challenge the view in the question, challenge the sources that support the view in your agree paragraph

Conclusion - reach a judgement, sum up your argument, bring in provenance to weigh up your evidence and include key quotes that summarise your view

For question b

Intro - begin with brief background information on the debate in question, followed by a bried description of the sources views and state your line of argument

For your agree/disagree paragraphs a good structure is PELE

Point

Evidence from sources

Link in relevant own knowledge

Explain relevance to question

Remember to cross reference throughout treating the sources as a set and sustain your line of argument throughout both paragraphs

Conclusion - reach a judgement, answer the question explicitly and assuredly - don't sit on the fence. Use provenance briefly to weigh up your evidence, but not to the extent that you would in question a

Hope this helps you, just remember to carefully examine the sources - look at the time it was written, who it was written by, and think of their motives for doing so - do they have a vested interest in the subject of the source? Is it a first hand account, or propaganda used to persuade and is therefore not reliable? I would spend no more than 5 minutes analysing the sources for question a and the same for question b. Treat the sources as a set throughout or you cannot gain a very high level.

Unfortunately it seems there is no pattern to what topic comes up for question a and what topics come up for question b, so make sure you have prepared for all of them effectively. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending